Trump, family to see 'substantial portions' of House subpoenas to banks

webfact

Trump, family to see 'substantial portions' of House subpoenas to banks

By Jonathan Stempel

2019-05-08T221919Z_1_LYNXNPEF471VW_RTROPTP_3_USA-TRUMP-BANKS.JPG

FILE PHOTO: U.S. President Donald Trump reacts as he speaks at the Wounded Warrior Project Soldier Ride event after the release of Special Counsel Robert Mueller's report, in the East Room of the White House in Washington, U.S., April 18, 2019. REUTERS/Carlos Barria/File Photo

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A lawyer for Donald Trump said committees controlled by House Democrats have agreed to provide "substantial portions" of subpoenas issued to Deutsche Bank AG and Capital One Financial Corp for the president's financial records.

In a letter filed on Wednesday in Manhattan federal court, Patrick Strawbridge, who also representsTrump's three adult children and his company, withdrew his clients' request that the committees turn over the subpoenas.

The letter prompted U.S. District Judge Edgardo Ramos to cancel a scheduled May 9 hearing on the matter, which Strawbridge said was no longer necessary.

Strawbridge said the request had no impact on Trump's motion for a preliminary injunction blocking the banks from turning over details about the president's finances, or otherwise complying with the House subpoenas.

The letter was filed one day after Deutsche Bank and Capital One took no formal position on the legal battle between Trump and the House of Representatives committees.

Those committees are the House Financial Services Committee, chaired by Representative Maxine Waters of California, and the House Intelligence Committee, chaired by Representative Adam Schiff of California.

Deutsche Bank has long been a principal bank for Trump's real estate empire, and a 2017 disclosure form showed that Trump had at least $130 million of liabilities to the German lender.

Democratic lawmakers in March asked Capital One for documents concerning potential conflicts of interest tied to Trump's downtown Washington hotel and other business interests.

Lawyers for Donald Trump, his adult children Donald Jr., Eric and Ivanka, and the TrumpOrganization have argued that the subpoenas were overbroad, and meant to uncover information that could be used to harass and politically attack the president.

Trump, a Republican, is seeking re-election in 2020. A hearing on the preliminary injunction motion is scheduled for May 22, court records show.

The case is Trump et al v. Deutsche Bank AG et al, U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, No. 19-03826.

(Reporting by Jonathan Stempel in New York; Editing by Phil Berlowitz)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-05-09
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The letter was filed one day after Deutsche Bank and Capital One took no formal position on the legal battle

Deutsche Bank seems like a highly reputable financial institution, I'm sure they'd never do anything illegal. Cough.

https://violationtracker.goodjobsfirst.org/parent/deutsche-bank

trump, and djtj, wrote a few $35,000 reimbursement checks to Cohen, repaying the Stormy Daniels payment, which trump claims he was unaware of, from his personal Capital One account.

190227-donald-trump-michael-cohen-check-1-cs-752a_2d9b46571974f34b50167bbf4f78c9fb.nbcnews-ux-2880-1000.jpg

Screen-Shot-2019-02-27-at-10.28.10-AM.png

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Deutsche Bank seems like a highly reputable financial institution, I'm sure they'd never do anything illegal. Cough.

https://violationtracker.goodjobsfirst.org/parent/deutsche-bank

trump, and djtj, wrote a few $35,000 reimbursement checks to Cohen, repaying the Stormy Daniels payment, which trump claims he was unaware of, from his personal Capital One account.

190227-donald-trump-michael-cohen-check-1-cs-752a_2d9b46571974f34b50167bbf4f78c9fb.nbcnews-ux-2880-1000.jpg

Screen-Shot-2019-02-27-at-10.28.10-AM.png

The ones to come are more interesting!

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/apr/17/deutsche-bank-faces-action-over-20bn-russian-money-laundering-scheme

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

"Over two decades, Trump borrowed more than $2bn from Deutsche. In 2008, he defaulted on a $45m loan repayment and sued the bank. Its private wealth division in New York subsequently loaned Trump a further $300m – a move that bemused insiders and which has yet to be fully explained".

There is something rotten in the 'state' of Trump..............

Has a dispute with the bank he’s done $2B in business with that results in a $45M default. What that, something over 2%?

This definitely links back to the Kremlin....oh wait, isn’t Deutsche a German bank?
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

The only issues here to me are.... Trump and Co. seem like they're going to fight this to their last dying breaths, probably for pretty obvious reasons from the guy who has nothing to hide (cough)...and in the end, it's entirely possible these kinds of cases could end up before the U.S. Supreme Court somewhere down the line.

Where, I'm sure, all of Trump's personal appointees to the high court are NOT likely to recuse themselves from ruling on matters affecting his personal fortune or lack thereof... including the alleged sexual assaulter, and even his pre-Trump predecessor, the sexual harasser.

To expect the current court is going to deliver a fair and unbiased ruling in that kind of case is probably too much to expect in our current, cheapened, debased form of Trumpian kleptocracy.  All things considered, he might well be able to outlast the truths coming out by the time his current term comes to a close.

• Thanks 1

The only issues here to me are.... Trump and Co. seem like they're going to fight this to their last dying breaths, probably for pretty obvious reasons from the guy who has nothing to hide (cough)...and in the end, it's entirely possible these kinds of cases could end up before the U.S. Supreme Court somewhere down the line.

Where, I'm sure, all of Trump's personal appointees to the high court are NOT likely to recuse themselves from ruling on matters affecting his personal fortune or lack thereof... including the alleged sexual assaulter, and even his pre-Trump predecessor, the sexual harasser.

To expect the current court is going to deliver a fair and unbiased ruling in that kind of case is probably too much to expect in our current, cheapened, debased form of Trumpian kleptocracy.  All things considered, he might well be able to outlast the truths coming out by the time his current term comes to a close.

Do not most people being accused of a serious crime fight it with all they can?
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Totally agree and if by some freak of nature he gets a second term it will come out

12 minutes ago, mogandave said:

The other way of looking at that is... if the guy's really innocent and hasn't cheated on his tax returns and doesn't have any untoward, compromising financial interests to foreign entities, what's he got to be afraid of?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tug said:

Totally agree and if by some freak of nature he gets a second term it will come out

Not if the Republican-stacked Supreme Court ends up ruling against all Congressional requests for access to the various documents that would prove or disprove the allegations... citing deference to presidential authority and powers, which the current majority seems very inclined to do.

The other way of looking at that is... if the guy's really innocent and hasn't cheated on his tax returns and doesn't have any untoward, compromising financial interests to foreign entities, what's he got to be afraid of?

The IRS has his tax returns, and he has been and is being audited. If he has been cheating on his taxes do you not think that would have come up?

I’m not a tax evader, but I would not want ten years of my returns under a microscope.

Another way of looking at that is...even if every return is letter-perfect (which they likely are) he has a lot to lose, and nothing to gain by releasing them.

Every legal expense and deduction he has taken will be scrutinized. Pretty easy to imagine what a hay-day the press would have if he expensed a business trip that included entertaining foreign officials.

Why not just make every US tax payer’s returns public record? That seems fair...
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I don't think anyone has ever accused Trump of being a "Russian spy".  But there has been considerable evidence to suggest he may be compromised to Russia in some way, and thus is under the thrall of Putin.

Dude - you are fkin joking, right? There are literally hundreds of thousands of articles on-line accusing Trump of being a Russian agent.

Some by Democrats  & some by the media.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2019/jan/15/stephen-colbert-seth-meyers-trevor-noah-trump-russian-agent-theres-nothing-secret-about-it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pedro01 said:

Dude - you are fkin joking, right? There are literally hundreds of thousands of articles on-line accusing Trump of being a Russian agent.

Some by Democrats  & some by the media.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2019/jan/15/stephen-colbert-seth-meyers-trevor-noah-trump-russian-agent-theres-nothing-secret-about-it

Hey Pedro you forgot me!!!! I think he connivied with a hostile power to rig the election I do know that his policy’s (if you can call it that)are a gift from hevan To the russan federation have seen with my owne eyes him undercutting the very institutions that keep  us safe I did see him blab state secrets to a hostile foreign power so sure lots of us think he is compermised we also know he is a lousy business man on an epic scale no wonder he doesent want his finances out there lol

• Like 1

IHMO, there's a difference between being a "spy" for some entity, and being a traitor to another.

I don't believe Trump in any ongoing manner has "spied" on the U.S. for Russia, intentionally revealing U.S. secrets to Russia in some kind of calculated, intentional way.

But I do believe he has done or is willing to compromise U.S. national interests in favor of Russia and its interests, for whatever reasons, his own personal self interest, his imagined relationship with Putin, or perhaps, because of potentially compromising personal info Russia may have on him.

I don't see those two types of activities as necessarily being the same.  And I don't rely on late night comedian TV shows as my sources for news.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, mogandave said:

Actually, no, they do not. By far, the vast majority, like high 90's percent, plead guilty.

So far trump and his family have not been charged with any crimes. And so far, accused (indicted) on none, that we know of (sealed indictments may exist).

So again, this begs the question, why fight? Cooperate and clear yourself quickly.

We hold public official to higher standards and expect more from them rather than less. Corruption, in any forms, seems to affect public officials more, so we need to be vigilant.

If you do not want to face this scrutiny then feel free to not run for public office.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

Actually, no, they do not. By far, the vast majority, like high 90's percent, plead guilty.

So far trump and his family have not been charged with any crimes. And so far, accused (indicted) on none, that we know of (sealed indictments may exist).

So again, this begs the question, why fight? Cooperate and clear yourself quickly.

We hold public official to higher standards and expect more from them rather than less. Corruption, in any forms, seems to affect public officials more, so we need to be vigilant.

If you do not want to face this scrutiny then feel free to not run for public office.

First, prosecutors only prosecute when they are relatively certain they can win, and yes, the guilty often plea down to lesser charges, that’s how prosecutors get such high conviction ratings.

But the 90% statistic includes all crimes, and there are far more minor crimes than serious crimes, almost no one pleas guilty to a serious crime unless they are both guilty and get at least a decent plea agreement.

He has plenty to lose, but again, what does he have to gain by cooperating?

Nothing.

• Like 2

Hey Pedro you forgot me!!!! I think he connivied with a hostile power to rig the election I do know that his policy’s (if you can call it that)are a gift from hevan To the russan federation have seen with my owne eyes him undercutting the very institutions that keep  us safe I did see him blab state secrets to a hostile foreign power so sure lots of us think he is compermised we also know he is a lousy business man on an epic scale no wonder he doesent want his finances out there lol

Yeah, and you seem to be pretty Typical. There are a lot of people that believe exactly as you do.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, mogandave said:

So what has Trump done that would lead people to believe he is acting as a dictator?

The idea that people at the IRS are terrified to come forward is ridiculous.

Because breaking the law isn't a discouragement?

Hmm, I don't know?

Clearing his name and reputation, re-gaining the public's trust, following the rule of law as an example for everyone else, abiding by his oath of office, ya know, the simple stuff which he seems to find so hard to do

So it’s your position that if Trump turned over his tax returns and nothing criminal were found, the press would apologize openly and you guys would all support him? I thought not.

The returns would be picked over for years and his enemies would move the focus to something else.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, mogandave said:

So it’s your position that if Trump turned over his tax returns and nothing criminal were found, the press would apologize openly and you guys would all support him?

This a huge leap...

First, this thread is about getting financial documents from Deutsche Bank and Capital One, not trump's tax returns, that's a separate topic.

Second, I can't speak for "the press", or their willingness to issue apologies. When found to be incorrect they often print corrections.

Third, and you're presented a fairly low bar for "support" - "whaddya want, he's not a crook, so far", what does "support" mean? Donate to his campaign? Attend a rally? Buy a MAGA hat? Vote for him? Hmm, all no.

In the end, EVERYTHING will come out, that's just a given. Might it all be revealed tomorrow? Of course not. But it will all come out.

Assuming no major financial crimes why not just pull the band-aid off quickly, and cooperate? Fighting every step signals to most an intent to obstruct, and guilt. Claiming privacy, or Executive Privilege is not acceptable.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1