A place to convalesce near Prachuap KhiriKhan

Ombra

I am just recovering from a serious operation and I need a quiet place to convalesce for a month or so near Prachuap, somewhere where I can get gentle exercise and eat fresh fruit and vegetables. I have a car, so location is not a problem, and while I am not short of cash, I can't afford luxury places. My budget runs to about 1,500 - 2,000 baht per day. If anyone can recommend a suitable place, I'd be very grateful. With thanks.

Stay at the Haad Thong hotel on the waterfront. Has lift, car park, restaurant and the fresh markets are almost across the street. Sea view rooms are about 1100 baht, long stays are less. Next would be Prachuap beach hotel about 500 metres further along the beach towards Ao Manao, frontage rooms 800baht, they too have secure parking and a lift.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the recommendation, Mr T.  I used to live near Prachuap and I remember the Haad Thong Hotel. The view from the restaurant must be one of the most beautiful in the whole of Thailand. For a normal person, the seafront must be extraordinarily quiet in the low season, but for a sick person, it is not quite quiet enough. I am sleeping very badly and recovering slowly, and so I want to escape from the sound of motorcycles and the possibility of late night door slamming or noise through the walls. That's why I mentioned 'near' Prachuap rather than in the town. I should have said that I was looking for a resort nearby. I live in Rangsit, which is a very densely populated urban area, and I need to find somewhere quiet and I also need to give my wife a break.

Edited by Ombra

Oh, thank you! I didn't think of Bang Saphan. It is the ideal place. Please don't trouble to ask about resorts because I can just go there and drive around and see what suits me. I feel more relaxed already, and i am grateful for your help.

On 5/9/2019 at 11:22 AM, Ombra said:

I live in Rangsit, which is a very densely populated urban area, and I need to find somewhere quiet and I also need to give my wife a break.

Edited Thursday at 11:23 AM by Ombra

Rangsit densely populated and urban? What is BKK proper then. Bang Saphan is your best bet. Very quite this time of year and lots of beach front rentals in your price range.

I have a favorite spot in Bang Saphan. Coco Beach Front.  1200@night 18k@month.

Has a small restaurant and open-air bar.  Very secluded/private.  For the most part the bar

is only frequented in the evenings by a predominately retired European crowd.  It's probably about 10

minutes into town.

http://www.cocobeachfront.com/roomrate.html

Some other pics from trip advisor.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g1566927-d2621750-Reviews-Coco_Beachfront-Bang_Saphan_Prachuap_Khiri_Khan_Province.html#photos;aggregationId=&albumid=101&filter=7

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, expat_4_life said:

I have a favorite spot in Bang Saphan. Coco Beach Front.  1200@night 18k@month.

Has a small restaurant and open-air bar.  Very secluded/private.  For the most part the bar

is only frequented in the evenings by a predominately retired European crowd.  It's probably about 10

minutes into town.

http://www.cocobeachfront.com/roomrate.html

Some other pics from trip advisor.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g1566927-d2621750-Reviews-Coco_Beachfront-Bang_Saphan_Prachuap_Khiri_Khan_Province.html#photos;aggregationId=&albumid=101&filter=7

Thanks for the recommendation. It looks quite beautiful.

33 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Couldn't resist it.....Hua Hin

There's more facilities for the unwell than in any of the afore mentioned locations. Depending upon the severity of the ailment and potential complications a venue close to Hua Hin may very well be a good choice.

45 minutes ago, alacrity said:

There's more facilities for the unwell than in any of the afore mentioned locations. Depending upon the severity of the ailment and potential complications a venue close to Hua Hin may very well be a good choice.

Facilities for the unwell are called hospitals. Convalescence is different deal altogether.

Usually a term used by people with more money than sense.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, DPKANKAN said:

Happy Minds hotel Sam Roi Yod/Yot. 400m from the empty quiet beach. At the junction wonderful little beach restaurant with beer.

Hit it last year to avoid Songkran. Bliss. Been to the area 3 or 4 times last year alone

20180209_115008.jpg

This satisfies another matter - where to escape to at Songkran? Thank you. I'll look at the website.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, OneEyedPie said:

That's my feeling.  I think the OP will be happy there and convalesce peacefully.   

22 hours ago, emptypockets said:

Facilities for the unwell are called hospitals. Convalescence is different deal altogether.

Usually a term used by people with more money than sense.

And relapses can occur. Also it's not just about hospitals. The term facilities includes convenience and ease of access in the area chosen.

Neither of us know the limitations imposed by the need to convalesce. The OP never stated those and as such they should be allowed to determine from suggestions made what best suits them. Not a third party.

18 hours ago, Ombra said:

This satisfies another matter - where to escape to at Songkran? Thank you. I'll look at the website.

And a bit further down to the national park..... shit I'm taking her down there again next week. Love it.

On 5/11/2019 at 3:34 PM, DPKANKAN said:

Happy Minds hotel Sam Roi Yod/Yot. 400m from the empty quiet beach. At the junction wonderful little beach restaurant with beer.

Hit it last year to avoid Songkran. Bliss. Been to the area 3 or 4 times last year alone

20180209_115008.jpg

@DPKANKAN - Good choice, good choice. Funnily enough I did exactly the same last year and chose this place at random to escape Songkran (yes you got some kids by the side of the beach road, but it was manageable).

I love the place too, it's quiet, chilled and there are a couple of resorts that have these 1-3 bedroom villas with pools (Talay Tara and Beach Villa Resort, I think), your own rooftop with BBQ and jakuzi and the price isn't bad (a 2 bedroom villa plus big living room will be around 3000-4000 baht so if you have 6 couples if two of you take the living room, then that's a good price).

I was going to go there this weekend coming, but just getting there is a little hassle and expensive, and as on a budget I had to cancel. Though, making it not the easiest place to get to, certainly helps on reducing the crowds.

Nothing but marketing. Can't blame folks for following their own self interest but there's naff-all there. 

Have lived in Prachuap province for years. Whatever is/was there was has gone less.

It's the OP's choice and I wish them well.