Amerasian Stepson Wants To Move To Thailand

My 26 y/o stepson, wants to go live in Thailand with his Thai mom. She just recently built a house there, after living here in the states since before his birth. She is back here for a month, and he was hoping to go back to Thailand with her. (He's a bit slow and really needs a responsible adult to live with. He would not make it on his own.) He was saddened last night, after talking with her on the phone as he found out that her initial plan of returning to the U.S every 6 months had changed, since her green card was cut up. (he thought he'd get himself together, and visit with his siblings and friends, before her next 6 month visit, then leave with her.) Now she doesn't know when she'll be back, and she says that he can only get a 3 month visa.

He is wondering, if there's any way he would be able to go there to live. He wouldn't mind having to return to the states now and then if necessary, but he wants it to be a forever thing if it would work out that way.

Can anyone give me any insight into this that I could pass on to him?

Thanks in advance,

alexiasgramma

I have to read between the lines on this one but it appears that mother no longer desires to take care of him and that if he moved to Thailand he would have no social net to protect or care for him. If this is the case, and he needs help, do not believe it would be in his interest to move.

It seems he was not provided Thai citizenship/passport and would need to pursue that first. Without mothers help this may be a serious challenge and without someone here in Thailand to help him probably counter productive. You could call or visit a Royal Thai Consulate near you to discuss options.

If mother is just not aware of it her son is Thai (unless he made a denial of Thai citizenship after his 20th birthday and it was accepted) and could obtain passport/id to live in Thailand if she pursues that path. Or even one year stays on his US Passport.

Thank you for your reply.

I'm sorry that I wasn't more clear.

From what he tells me, she too was hoping that he could/would return with her.

He said she said, that she was going to open a bar and wanted him to work there.

He also said that she suggested he get us to find out what we could to help him get there.

Hence, my post.

From talking to him, I got the impression that initially she expected there would be no problem for him to go live there with her, yet now finds out (I don't know how) that he would be limited to a 3 month visa, unless something else could be worked out.

I'm at a loss here... I don't know if it's possible for an adult male, a child of a Thai woman, can go over to live with her (per her request).

She is still in the states for about another week. I will encourage him to have her pursue this from Thailand.

Thank you.

Believe mother should explore Thai citizenship for son as this should be possible and then he will never have a visa issue. Also believe Consulate would know what is required for this process.

Also would follow up with contact with Consulate while she is still there in US as they will have better information than available most places here in Thailand as they handle it on a routine basis and can tell her exactly what is required.

If he tries to live here as an American he can not work without a work permit and would have visa requirements.