Extension of stay for Retirement

Using the Combination method, at Jomtien, with 400 Bath in the bank, first time must be in Bank for two months then every time after in the bank for three months, and 40,000 Bath income each 28 days so 13 payments each year. 400 Bath in the Bank + 13 40,000 Bath payments = 920,000 Bath for the year. the money does not have to be in the Bank for three months after the extension is granted.

Must have a statement for the income from the bank and a letter from the Bank for the money in the Bank, and another letter from the Bank for the income as well as the statement, so must have two letters from the bank and the statement.  

This is much easier than it was before, and the big plus for me is I now do not have to spend a day going to the Australian Embassy it was 9 hours .

Even the people that use the 800 Bath in the Bank that could get a regular payment into their Bank each month should look at this combination method, less money in the bank and do not have to leave the money in the bank for three months after the Extension is granted.      

• Like 1

Did you have to show that 40 thou baht every 28 days was coming in to Thailand via a pension?
I tried the combo method of showing income and got knocked back as I had to show the income was via a pension??
I am over 50 but still to young for the Aust pension?
Told I need 800 thou in the bank... and come back when I do so?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

6 minutes ago, e&j said:

Did you have to show that 40 thou baht every 28 days was coming in to Thailand via a pension?
I tried the combo method of showing income and got knocked back as I had to show the income was via a pension??
I am over 50 but still to young for the Aust pension?
Told I need 800 thou in the bank... and come back when I do so?

What documentation did they want you to provide by way of the combination method? Or did they disallow the combination method? 

Edited by marcusarelus

2 minutes ago, e&j said:

As soon as I couldn’t provide evidence that the money wasn’t coming in via pension.... the lady want interested

Do you mean I couldn't prove the money was coming in via pension?  And.  What kind of proof did she want?  A bank statement that shows foreign money coming into Thailand?

Edited by marcusarelus

30 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

It's 'baht', not 'bath' unless the banks are also plumbing merchants.  :omfg:

Laundering merchants ? . 

Edited by elliss
  • Haha 2

You lost me... I am not a pensioner and do not have a pension.
The money i bring into Thailand is not from a pension... I get the money mainly from rental property.
I had 400 k in a thai account and could show that I was depositing 65k monthly from overseas into this account.
I assumed that the 400k plus the 65k monthly would qualify for the combo method to get retirement visa.
I was told that I needed a letter to show the 65k was from a pension.
When I said to the lady I do not have a pension... she said then I need 800k in the bank instead then... full stop.
I have had two previous retirement visas... but in both instances I had the 800k in the bank.
I have been renovating the house and let the money slide .... thinking I will be okay using the combo method... obviously not.
Perhaps the office I applied at isn’t so easy or its correct that the combo method is using pension funds with letter to verify??

4 minutes ago, e&j said:

You lost me... I am not a pensioner and do not have a pension.
The money i bring into Thailand is not from a pension... I get the money mainly from rental property.
I had 400 k in a thai account and could show that I was depositing 65k monthly from overseas into this account.
I assumed that the 400k plus the 65k monthly would qualify for the combo method to get retirement visa.
I was told that I needed a letter to show the 65k was from a pension.
When I said to the lady I do not have a pension... she said then I need 800k in the bank instead then... full stop.
I have had two previous retirement visas... but in both instances I had the 800k in the bank.
I have been renovating the house and let the money slide .... thinking I will be okay using the combo method... obviously not.
Perhaps the office I applied at isn’t so easy or its correct that the combo method is using pension funds with letter to verify??

A few Offices will only allow the monthly 65k method or the combination method for those with a pension or an Embassy Income Verification Letter.  Each Offices is allowed to request any supporting documents they wish and your Office decided to ask for proof of pension. 

A few Offices will only allow the monthly 65k method or the combination method for those with a pension or an Embassy Income Verification Letter.  Each Offices is allowed to request any supporting documents they wish and your Office decided to ask for proof of pension. 

Exactly... which I don’t have... as I am not a pensioner.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

What did they want?

“They wanted me to show the funds coming into Thailand were from a pension fund.”
I am not old enough to be a pensioner yet... so I can not show any letters or proof that these funds are from a pensioner fund or related to one.
So there reply was “ you have to show 800 k in the bank then to qualify for retirement visa.
My point was.... the topic started with some one been granted a retirement visa based on combo method of income.
They did not mention if the funds going into the account each month were funds from a pension fund?

15 minutes ago, e&j said:

“They wanted me to show the funds coming into Thailand were from a pension fund.”
I am not old enough to be a pensioner yet... so I can not show any letters or proof that these funds are from a pensioner fund or related to one.
So there reply was “ you have to show 800 k in the bank then to qualify for retirement visa.
My point was.... the topic started with some one been granted a retirement visa based on combo method of income.
They did not mention if the funds going into the account each month were funds from a pension fund?

I keep asking.  What did they want you to show?  A statement from the bank?  How would Thai Immigration be able to tell a pension fund from your uncle Charlie sending you a check?  Did they want to see a bank statement or something else?  What immigration office was it?  It doesn't sound like you are talking about the Jomtien office.

Edited by marcusarelus

I keep asking.  What did they want you to show?  A statement from the bank?  How would Thai Immigration be able to tell a pension fund from your uncle Charlie sending you a check?  Did they want to see a bank statement or something else?  What immigration office was it?  It doesn't sound like you are talking about the Jomtien office.

I showed them the statement from my bank.
I showed them the letter from the bank stating the funds were in there.... etc etc.
My bank statement shows the funds each month coming in from overseas... it has the code showing that.
She then asked if these funds coming in were from a pension fund... I said No I am not a pensioner... I can not give you that letter.
She wasn’t interested from that point on.
The answer to your question... “ she wanted a letter to show that the month installments were coming from a pension fund.
She could see the funds... she wanted a letter to show that i dm getting a pension.
Regardless of all that.
I understand that they couldn’t tell where the funds are coming from ... but she obviously wanted to know.
Have you used the combo letter before?
Are you a pensioner or not?
Do you have to be a pensioner to use the combo approach to get a visa.... it appeared that way to me????????

13 minutes ago, e&j said:

She then asked if these funds coming in were from a pension fund... I said No I am not a pensioner... I can not give you that letter.
She wasn’t interested from that point on.

Police order 138/2557, section 2.21 (retirement) states;

Evidence of income such as a retirement pension, interest or dividends.

I would have claimed your income is from dividends paid from your investments. 

(Rental dividends paid monthly)

Edited by Tanoshi

14 minutes ago, e&j said:

Thanks.... good to know.
What sort of letter would that be though... if she asks?
Monthly income method seems to be a bit of a mine field if your not a pensioner .

Are the rentals paid directly into your foreign bank account.

Do you have copies of the rental contracts.

Foreign bank statements for the previous 12 months, with copies of rental contracts.

No guarantees, but that's where I'd start.

The IO probably won't be able to understand or follow the paperwork trail, but it could be convincing enough.

Edited by Tanoshi

Yes and yes.
Might look into using a agent... they may be able to get the message across that I have income coming in.
After the last visit to immigration... I am kinda over it.
After jumping through all there hoops back in January I finally got a one year visa.
Although i am not married I live with my partner and 2 kids... they granted me a visa based on that... so only needed the 400k in the bank and a letter from the bank.... 400 k for family... 800k for single... Go figure.???
They came to my house and got photos etc etc.... real degrading in front of the neighbors.
IMO lady just said have 800k in bank next time.
I didn’t argue or say much at all through the whole ordeal... just walked away happy that I got the year.
Worst case scenario I will put in 800k and be done with it next year.
It’s been a wake up call and I can’t see it been the last one.
A friend of mine recently left Thailand ( he had the proper funds to back up his retirment) but because he lost a good friend whom didn’t have the proper income to show and back him up.
The guy had over 400k in the bank but wasn’t married... and refused to do so.
Reading between the lines on a few posts.... marriage is the next way around it... shame people are pushed that way.

6 hours ago, merlen10002 said:

Even the people that use the 800 Bath in the Bank that could get a regular payment into their Bank each month should look at this combination method, less money in the bank and do not have to leave the money in the bank for three months after the Extension is granted.      

The question is whether other offices will offer this option or not. And, if they do, will they interpret it completely differently? 

Question to the OP: Are you saying that the combo method requires monthly deposits? So, if I missed one month of income, I wouldn't qualify for this method, even if I made it up the next month, right? 

6 hours ago, e&j said:

As soon as I couldn’t provide evidence that the money wasn’t coming in via pension.... the lady want interested

Which office please? 

10 hours ago, e&j said:

Although i am not married I live with my partner and 2 kids... they granted me a visa based on that... so only needed the 400k in the bank and a letter from the bank.... 400 k for family... 800k for single... Go figure.???

I once asked the question why the difference!

I was told if your married and sick your wife will care for you.

If your single, you'll have to pay someone to take care of you.

There is some truth in that, but the difference is probably because of the lifestyle most single men lead, compared to most married men.

20 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

It's 'baht', not 'bath' unless the banks are also plumbing merchants.  :omfg:

Thank you for correcting me on this very bad mistake, I am sure TV would have stopped working and be lost to all of us for ever if you had not found this unforgivable mistake , keep the good police work up , lots of mistakes on here so you may never be out of work. TV needs you . 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Ebumbu said:

Question to the OP: Are you saying that the combo method requires monthly deposits? So, if I missed one month of income, I wouldn't qualify for this method, even if I made it up the next month, right? 

Correct.

20 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

What documentation did they want you to provide by way of the combination method? Or did they disallow the combination method? 

I had a letter from Centerlink confirming I received the Pension each 28 days, and the amount I received. I had 12 months statement from the Thai Bank, and a letter for the money in the bank and a letter for the statement , so two letters from the bank. and all the normal Immigration documents, why would it be disallow ???   

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, merlen10002 said:

Thank you for correcting me on this very bad mistake, I am sure TV would have stopped working and be lost to all of us for ever if you had not found this unforgivable mistake , keep the good police work up , lots of mistakes on here so you may never be out of work. TV needs you . 

Your welcome sir!

I'd do the same for those that enquired about an 'extraction', rather than an 'extension', for fear others may advise of a good dental practitioner.

It was actually quite funny and your not the first to call the Thai currency 'bath'.

18 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

It was indeed the Jomtien office.

For the funds part, funds deposit for 2 months (first time extension) or 3 months for subsequent extensions. Presumably an updated passbook + letter confirming account details.

For the income part 12 monthly transfers, proved by bank statement + letter confirming account details.

The total must be 800K minimum.

Although @merlen10002 providing 13 transfers (every 4 weeks), the minimum is 12. In one of those months he would have received 2 payments, which is over and above the stated requirement.

He used 400K deposited in a Thai bank and monthly income transfers of 40K, which totalled more than the required minimum of 800K.

The letter from Centrelink, which is the Australian government pension provider, probably wasn't required, but it was supporting documentation as proof his income came from a Government Pension.

Of course his extension was approved.

Good comprehensive report.