Renew Retirement Extension at Phuket Immigration to day.

On 5/11/2019 at 11:44 AM, gk10002000 said:

This shows how proving income can be problematic and at some point, even if using the 800K method, one may still end up having to show monthly in transfers? 

Why? Personally my 800k sits in the same account that I use for day to day living, never been asked, what do I live off although it is evident from the passbook copies. I know people who leave the 800k in a FD untouched and they aren't asked to show what they live off. Nor do the rules require it. Do you know otherwise?

If a person wishes to have an extension based on income, it is clearly stated as only 12 monthly transfers from overseas. Both income and 800k on deposit are not required!

Just now, jacko45k said:

Why? Personally my 800k sits in the same account that I use for day to day living, never been asked, what do I live off although it is evident from the passbook copies. I know people who leave the 800k in a FD untouched and they aren't asked to show what they live off. Nor do the rules require it. Do you know otherwise?

If a person wishes to have an extension based on income, it is clearly stated as only 12 monthly transfers from overseas. Both income and 800k on deposit are not required!

Unfortunately there are reports of people using the 800k baht method now being asked about what monies they are using to live on, and asking for some income or transfer in information.  And that has been for people that don't touch the 800k at all, i.e. have it in Fixed term accounts. So what was in the past a simple thing, unfortunately in some cases has been reported as not so simple anymore

15 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Funny , I have had the opposite.

Not this year , but 2018 - the same year as I was told to photocopy both sides of any credit card ( see above ).

Perhaps the Phuket Town Immigration see themselves more as 'investigators' than officials  following The Rules - they certainly dont seem to all stick to The Rules in my experience , otherwise all Immigration Offices would all do the same across the country - no ?

In 2018 they wanted to see an account of 800k spent down , and explicitly said  they didnt want to see a "lock" ( aka  fixed )  interest account .

And we all know a fixed interest account generally means it CAN be drawn from - but with subsequent loss of all interest.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, zaZa9 said:

Not this year , but 2018 - the same year as I was told to photocopy both sides of any credit card ( see above ).

Perhaps the Phuket Town Immigration see themselves more as 'investigators' than officials  following The Rules - they certainly dont seem to all stick to The Rules in my experience , otherwise all Immigration Offices would all do the same across the country - no ?

In 2018 they wanted to see an account of 800k spent down , and explicitly said  they didnt want to see a "lock" ( aka  fixed )  interest account .

And we all know a fixed interest account generally means it CAN be drawn from - but with subsequent loss of all interest.

Yep.  I have read reports all over the place about showing income, draw down, transfers, and now some inspectors acting about source of funds, etc.  It is the wild wild west.

5 hours ago, zaZa9 said:

Yes, it is somewhat of an oxymoron to require someone to show they have 800k to support themselves over the next 12 months of an Extension they are applying for, then insist they cannot spend any of it for 3  months, and only half after that. (And that money has to be there 2 months prior untouched. 

I agree some IOs seem to like to play detective or gotchtya creating their own non regulatory checks.