Cheap charlie package tourists

robint

Can any local flang tell me if pataya is still plagued by truck loads of russian/ukranian familes still arriving in ex-army Antonov cargo planes in U tapao  My pal had a family style bar restaurant there for 20years and these cheap charlie families would very rudely pile in off the street, make a mess of his toilet, sit for half hour studying menu and then order one orange juice between 4 - get the picture.  It ruined his business  RIP

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

Lots has changed in 20 years. Suffice to say you're going to love the Chinese ????

my experience is that they arrived in vip coachloads and headed straight for Mike Store  to buy up all the fake Gucci handbags. They always stayed in their crowds. Never went anywhere other than tour guided places or spent any money other than shopping for high end goods.

I dont see so many Russians these days in Jomtien. They never really recovered from their currency halving in value a few years ago. No Chinese either, at least not in my condo or in any of the restaurants I frequent.

I would think a lot of businesses have benefited from the influx of Russian tourists. I suppose it is all a matter of catering to their preferences and installing top notch toilet facilities.

• Haha 1

Koff they arrive family of four put up is a derelict condo 3 miles in the sticks no transport, walk into town, they only came with ca £100 spend for  14 days, too mean to take a baht bus. make a pig sty of the local 7-11  you do the math

What Russians are these?  The Russians I knew in the UK had tons of money but were very scared. In fact, a lot of the foreigners I knew in the UK had tons of money but were very scared. It's hard to put a price on security

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, robint said:

Koff they arrive family of four put up is a derelict condo 3 miles in the sticks no transport, walk into town, they only came with ca £100 spend for  14 days, too mean to take a baht bus. make a pig sty of the local 7-11  you do the math

When and where did this personal Slavic nightmare begin? Last Friday they're piling in on army transports. Yesterday they're arriving in buses and today they're building condo's in the boonies and dining at 7-elevens?

• Like 1

you must be a TV local trying to learn about zeitgast

I speak about my experience 10 years ago in Pataya. It ruined my pals business.  I only asked if it changed recently, apparently so , The Ivans cant afford the cheap charlie packages any more  - why do they come here - desperate for some sunshine numpty

• Like 1

^ It's zeitgeist.

...and no, I'm not on both counts.

Plenty locals made (and still making) money hands over fist on the Russian 'invasion' so if your late buddy had already been a success over the preceding 20 years, then maybe his number was up anyway regardless who shat in his toilet.

The Russian package tours evaporated virtually overnight in 2014 when the ruble went down the toilet. However, those that had a better handle on their finances have decent villas in a slew of Russian-centric villages down past Huayyai towards Silverlake and are doing quite well, drive Evoque's, etc.. Different demographic entirely these days.

The newer invaders are the Chinese but with the momentary purge of zero-baht tourism in 2016, their demographic changed also. There are still buses full of grubby, shouty villagers being shepherded to the various tourist traps but as noted in a parallel thread, they have a growing amount of quieter, educated, independent and adequately funded tourists coming these days who are feeding the condo glut as well as fueling a remake and remodel of languishing old shophouses into backpacker digs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Should it be the Indians, the Brits, the Aussies, the Americans,  the Chinese or the Russians.....when dealing with the lower uncouth classes, they can be a bunch of uneducated, drunk, manerless nuisances and jerks.......but take any of the above cited citizens who are educated, decent individuals and the definition changes and you get to know some really great people.....like anywhere in the world....

Edited by observer90210
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, robint said:

-4?