Only taken 5 years or more.......

topt

Not checked the other corners but Third Road where it crosses Klang/Central rd. they have finally changed the sign/translation about not turning on red -

Also not sure if permanently fixed as just seems to be propped against the pole. 

This one is heading south down Third road-20190508_081128.thumb.jpg.beffe0a21712096b53263934162b9028.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dexlowe said:

Is this the start of a revolution of common sense? Or has Google translate been updated?

Probably too much aggro from complaints and perhaps a "connected" sign maker needed some new business..........

And for people not aware the sign used to read (in English) -

Turn left waiting light - or something very similar which appeared to imply the opposite of stopping.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Near us are signs that say you can proceed on red if in the left lane, not much point having lights at all

Yes I've seen a few like that...  at T junctions,  there is one at  the lights on Sukhumvit just north of Thaprasit road  and another at  the "flyover" lights North Pattaya.

These supplementary signs regarding turning left have absolutely no legal standing.  

Imagine turning left on a red light and you were involved in an accident for whatever reason.  In court:  "You jumped a red light."

"But your honour, the sign underneath said that I can ignore the red light".  "It doesn't matter what the sign says.  You jumped a red light.  Case closed)

The only legal scenario for turning left against a red light is if there is a national sign that allows you to do so.  This sign is a white arrow on a blue background.

Its "standard practice"  here (Thailand)  to  turn left on a red if its safe and clear to do so,

the signs discussed in this thread are for an exception to that "rule"...the only reason I can see that they put them up is to cover the police who (often) wait round the corner to issue tickets for turning on red but only at those junctions that have the ambiguous signs.

In my view its even ambiguous in Thai   as it says 

"stop wait for the traffic light here"  

where as it could say "wait for the green light before turning left"  then there is no confusion.

• Like 1