I Got in an Argument with My Mother

I currently live in Hilo, Hawaii and have graduated from an Information Technology program down here.

During our graduation ceremony, my five other classmates that were there were talking about the one recent IT position that opened up in available.  That's the way it is down here, one IT position opens up in a blue moon.  Most IT and CS positions are on Oahu and not here.  

When I was living in Thailand I remember Bangkok having a massive tech scene which was really great for networking.  They used to have Meetups like every day or every other day and had companies like Amazon Web Services and Docker come down to do presentations.

I think my prospects for landing an Information Technology or Computer Science job is better there than here because of the large tech scene and excellent networking opportunities.  

I've been really frustrated with the way things are here that I'm actually planning on selling whatever I can't take with me and going back to Thailand and attempting to get a position there through networking events or other means.  I think I have enough money and income to last 4 to 6 months.

Given my situation, is this a viable option?  As I said, there are hardly any positions here on the Big Island of Hawaii.

I've been enduring my life here in Hawaii for the past few years.  One of the reasons why I stuck around so long is because I enrolled in a college Information Technology program which I have just recently finished.  Even though it's IT I love the programming aspect and want to become a programmer.

I have recently been thinking of going back to Thailand because I love it there and hate it here on the Big Island.  I had been hesitant because there are issues like proper income and maybe trying to start a career in the United States then eventually work remote to live in Thailand. 

I was driving my mom around and she told  me, "Hawaii is what you make it, if you don't like Hawaii it's YOUR fault."  Then it finally dawned on me.  Why spend my time and money fixing my car or trying to get a job out here if I hate it so much?  What my mom said sounds a lot like a load of new age hippie bullshit.  It was then and there I decided that I hate it here and the most important thing was to be there.

So, I have around 3k USD that I can use to live off of.  I can have more if I cash out on stocks I have been holding on to.  I do have an income of $890 USD a month.  I have listed my car for sale and other things I can't take with me like a 49 midi keyboard.  I'm going to take the Comptia A+ exams this month of May and then try to leave late July or early August.  I think I can last at least four to six months with what I have.

One thing I remember about living in Bangkok was it's huge tech scene and Meetups.  I'm thinking that either I can try to find a position through networking at these tech meetups OR find remote work in the States or other places.  Of course I'm going to do stuff now while I'm still in the States to try and find something before I take the plunge and head out to Thailand.  If worse comes to worse I'll get an English teaching job for the short term.  

I have a Bachelors in Liberal Arts in addition to an Associates in Information Technology.  I think I can do this.  Getting a job in Thailand actually seems more viable than here on the Big Island where there are so few job listings daily and the only real jobs are in retail.  There is not a tech scene or any scene here for that matter.  People take low-level jobs like retail, service, and construction and even those are hard to come by.

Has anyone here ever done something like this?  Have you ever just dropped everything and headed down to Thailand because that's where you wanted to be and it all just worked out?  

1 hour ago, kingofallasians said:

I've been enduring my life here in Hawaii for the past few years.  One of the reasons why I stuck around so long is because I enrolled in a college Information Technology program which I have just recently finished.  Even though it's IT I love the programming aspect and want to become a programmer.

I have recently been thinking of going back to Thailand because I love it there and hate it here on the Big Island.  I had been hesitant because there are issues like proper income and maybe trying to start a career in the United States then eventually work remote to live in Thailand. 

I was driving my mom around and she told  me, "Hawaii is what you make it, if you don't like Hawaii it's YOUR fault."  Then it finally dawned on me.  Why spend my time and money fixing my car or trying to get a job out here if I hate it so much?  What my mom said sounds a lot like a load of new age hippie bullshit.  It was then and there I decided that I hate it here and the most important thing was to be there.

So, I have around 3k USD that I can use to live off of.  I can have more if I cash out on stocks I have been holding on to.  I do have an income of $890 USD a month.  I have listed my car for sale and other things I can't take with me like a 49 midi keyboard.  I'm going to take the Comptia A+ exams this month of May and then try to leave late July or early August.  I think I can last at least four to six months with what I have.

One thing I remember about living in Bangkok was it's huge tech scene and Meetups.  I'm thinking that either I can try to find a position through networking at these tech meetups OR find remote work in the States or other places.  Of course I'm going to do stuff now while I'm still in the States to try and find something before I take the plunge and head out to Thailand.  If worse comes to worse I'll get an English teaching job for the short term.  

I have a Bachelors in Liberal Arts in addition to an Associates in Information Technology.  I think I can do this.  Getting a job in Thailand actually seems more viable than here on the Big Island where there are so few job listings daily and the only real jobs are in retail.  There is not a tech scene or any scene here for that matter.  People take low-level jobs like retail, service, and construction and even those are hard to come by.

Has anyone here ever done something like this?  Have you ever just dropped everything and headed down to Thailand because that's where you wanted to be and it all just worked out?  

May want to try the Mainland first and get your dollars up a bit.

Hawaii is trash to make a living as you noted.

Listen to your mother.

You only get one and she's always right.

Why can't you do a start-up in Hawaii with your classmates? Just think about the outlay on hope alone. Bad idea.

22 minutes ago, JimmyTheMook said:

May want to try the Mainland first and get your dollars up a bit.

Hawaii is trash to make a living as you noted.

Don't assume that living in Thailand is cheap, it's not, suggest you do some research on living costs. US$2 - 3,000 will evaporate very quickly. As suggested by others go to the mainland for a few years and build more savings. 

Also don't assume that your qualifications will mean instant work in Thailand, not quite that easy, and foreigners cannot work in many professions, by law. To be honest a diploma is not well recognized in any subject area. But a degree in Liberal Arts might be an entrance to English teaching, not all that well paid but can survive. Check the ajahn.com / ajarn.com website.  (Ajarn/ajahn means teacher in Thai language). Plenty of ads, schools and agencies looking for teachers, contact them and check if your degree might be an entrance.

Edited by scorecard

10 hours ago, scorecard said:

Don't assume that living in Thailand is cheap, it's not, suggest you do some research on living costs. US$2 - 3,000 will evaporate very quickly. As suggested by others go to the mainland for a few years and build more savings. 

Also don't assume that your qualifications will mean instant work in Thailand, not quite that easy, and foreigners cannot work in many professions, by law. To be honest a diploma is not well recognized in any subject area. But a degree in Liberal Arts might be an entrance to English teaching, not all that well paid but can survive. Check the ajahn.com / ajarn.com website.  (Ajarn/ajahn means teacher in Thai language). Plenty of ads, schools and agencies looking for teachers, contact them and check if your degree might be an entrance.

First of all, I don't want to work for a shitty Thai company.  That's where Computer Science and Information Technology comes in.  I can work for companies not based in Thailand or anywhere for that matter.

Secondly, Thailand is cheap enough.  I don't care if I'm paying $150 a month to live in a studio apartment in Pattaya.  That actually sounds really awesome.  Last time I was in Thailand my rent was no more than $300 USD a month.

Thirdly. and this is good.  I get $890 USD a month.  So as long as I don't go crazy I think I can survive.