Expats overwhelmingly support mandatory health insurance of over 50s: Poll

webfact

3 hours ago, Boon Mee said:

And how those old geezers >70 years or better? 

Can't get insurance when you already have one foot in the grave. 

But ALWAYS pay their hospital bill if they use a government hospital.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This statement in the introduction:

According to the announcement by the Ministry of Public Health (MoPH), it would appear the new requirements only apply to those seeking an Non-Immigrant Visa OA and not to foreigners over 50 who stay in Thailand on an extension of stay based on retirement

is in contradiction to the statement from Phuket News' article from 140519 (mentioned by Thai Visa yesterday):

The requirement applies to all new applicants for one-year-non-immigrant O-A visas, and for those applying for "renew" their one-year-permits-to stay,

So does a person above 50 years old staying in Thailand on retirement visa have to have the health insurance?

I ask because I am probably to old to get an insurance - I should like to have one.

Any guess how much above 800.000 Baht one has to have permanently on the bank account? 200.000?

I have lived in Thailand for over 19 years and being an insulin dependent Type 2 diabetic I have never been able to get health insurance here, just the same back in the UK. I pay for all my medication and treatment out of my personal funds. I do have fully comprehensive accident insurance with my Thai bank and I am also covered by my car insurance if not my fault. I have just turned 75 years of age and now face the prospect of "total refusal", however I am certain there will be "ways" to solve the problem. Every year I am granted an extension to my original Non O retirement visa issued 19 years ago. Never been asked to show any type of health/medical insurance.

3 hours ago, ryane66 said:

I guess in your estimation l am an old greezer. I am 71. Slim and fit. Regular health checkups define me as excellent. I bike 30km EVERY day.

I outworked the younger Thai workers building my home. I really don't think l am close to having a foot in the grave. Pretty sure l could keep up to you.

Same as you , I too am 71 and work most of the day . Some Thai workers complain a lot and often drink alcohol when working etc.

3 hours ago, Mitkof Island said:

Still as confused as ever. Are they talking about. Type O-A Retirements visas ? Type O Marriage visas ? Those that need no bank accounts that apply for Type O visas in Savannakhet Laos ? And why not mandatory to ALL visas? What about the millions of Full Moon Party idiots who in up in the hospitals and make a dash to the airports without paying?

To those questions, you could also add another: “don’t young people get sick/have accidents? How many over 50’s have high speed bike crashes compared to 25 year olds? 

Just another in the hundreds and hundreds of fake polls that come parading across our desks. Not to be believe for a nanosecond. Zero credibility. Nobody likes to be forced to do anything. Just another draconian policy, by a hapless, incompetent government, that the nation is being forced to endure for another five years. More xenophobia. More racism. 

I am 75. My wife sells health insurance, but they won't insure me. Where does that place us seniors in the grand scheme of things.

It is frustrating because I eat healthy, exercise, don't drink, smoke or do drugs. Blood pressure and cholesterol fine. I am asked all the time how old I am, and then told, "I have power." Sadly insurance companies are playing a numbers game and do not look at an individual's health.

3 hours ago, Geordie59 said:

You have to wonder how they came up with this idea for OA visas but not the Non O based on retirement?

Yet another idea that hasn't been thought through. 

The prices being quoted of around 60k Baht for the 400k baht of cover seem very high as well. There are cheaper alternatives available already. Will this push those premiums up?

Probably because those on non o have to actually have money in a Thai bank account of which they can't use half if using the bank 800k method or regular deposit into a Thai bank account if using the income method.  Both enable the expat access to baht should they need to pay medical bills. The non oa  does not need to have any money in Thailand,  thus it may be a concern of Thai officials about their ability to pay medical expenses if required. That's about the only reason I can see.  It sucks because I was going to apply for this visa next time simply because they didn't require the money in a Thai bank account.  And this visa could effectively last 2 years.

25 minutes ago, rocketdave said:

Very nice if you're under 70 and have no prior medical conditions but for us retirees with such the premiums are more than the required minimum set figures so you pay the 440,000 Baht every year whether or not you need any treatment.

I'll give it a month to see what really happens but if they want this money out of me (for practically nothing) I'm off.

Me too and I'll take my investment s with me!

24 minutes ago, Huckenfell said:

Was this poll taken with over 50's only or could teenagers vote. Another question, what is the 800,000 bht requirement in the terms of retirement visa for.  I am a long term expat but over the age of health insurance eligibility, so i will have to DESERT my Thai family.  This latest hurdle we have to jump is cruel, inconsiderate and incompassionate. Another unfair rule made by favoured officials sitting in their stolen positions.  Where are the figures that the government has allegedly had to pay to settle expat hospital bills? When i have used a government hospital, i have always paid the bill as required

Well, one guy even commented that he never leaves Australia without insurance. So clearly he was voting on an issue that does not concern him because he is not long stay here. Was probably under 50 also (guessing). So nice of him to vote on behalf of those truly impacted by this.

1 hour ago, john west said:

no expert

So why post this nonsense?

This is the new requirement and yes it is true

Again why post this?

not sure and no expert but you have to leave 200k in for 3 months after.

Stick to canned tuna.

1 hour ago, Wake Up said:

Grow up. You are not a child. Be responsible for your own health and accident expenses and stop relying on the charity of the Thai government or the go fund me page. If you cannot afford insurance then go home and get a job. 

What part of " I can pay my own way"  do you not understand ?   Some of us are grown up.   We can take care of ourselves without someone telling us who we HAVE to give our money to and how much we MUST pay for someone else to make a profit.  

7 minutes ago, Naamblar2014 said:

The non oa  does not need to have any money in Thailand,  thus it may be a concern of Thai officials about their ability to pay medical expenses if required.

This is most likely the reason, at least one person here engages brain before spouting crap!

really getting fed up with this place now.

never know what the hell is going on with regard to Visas.

lets face it, none of us know if this applies to retirement visa extensions.

and we all know that each IO will do what they think the rules mean.

so one officer tells us we have to get insurance, the one sitting next to him does not.

in any case, it is obvious that the government will be getting huge back handers from the insurance companies.

as usual we have to wait and see.

will go to get my Visa extension done tomorrow i think, try and get id done before the s h one t hits the fan again.

All the respondents who voted for mandatory insurance should be forced to purchase the official, government supported rip-off insurance.

A 76 year old:
Premium cost: 133,000 thb or $4,290 USD  <----------

to obtain

Max coverage: 400,000 thb or $12,800 USD <---------

Now, go back to your home country and see if you can find an insurance company that is allowed is issue a predatory insurance policy like that? 

Put another way if you do not file a claim for three years you've just self insured.

So: if you can bank 400,000 than insurance should not be required.

Out-patient does not need to be mandatory.  Perhaps your average Thai can not afford to shell out 40,000 THB, but most expats can.  Put into perspective:
Out-patient: 40,000 thb or $1280 USD

I find that my own in-patient charges average about 2,000 thb.  You don't need insurance for Out-patient.  Making it mandatory is ludicrous.

This entire scam is a gift from the Thai government to the Thai insurance company imho.

If they pull the trigger on this and force long-stay expats to purchase this insurance when they could just as easily self-insure, then they will see an exodus of expat.  And my guess is that exodus will include starry-eyed TV FB respondents who think that health insurance should be mandatory. 

4 minutes ago, connda said:

All the respondents who voted for mandatory insurance should be forced to purchase the official, government supported rip-off insurance.

A 76 year old:
Premium cost: 133,000 thb or $4,290 USD  <----------

to obtain

Max coverage: 400,000 thb or $12,800 USD <---------

Now, go back to your home country and see if you can find an insurance company that is allowed is issue a predatory insurance policy like that? 

Put another way if you do not file a claim for three years you've just self insured.

So: if you can bank 400,000 than insurance should not be required.

Out-patient does not need to be mandatory.  Perhaps your average Thai can not afford to shell out 40,000 THB, but most expats can.  Put into perspective:
Out-patient: 40,000 thb or $1280 USD

I find that my own in-patient charges average about 2,000 thb.  You don't need insurance for Out-patient.  Making it mandatory is ludicrous.

This entire scam is a gift from the Thai government to the Thai insurance company imho.

If they pull the trigger on this and force long-stay expats to purchase this insurance when they could just as easily self-insure, then they will see an exodus of expat.  And my guess is that exodus will include starry-eyed TV FB respondents who think that health insurance should be mandatory. 

BTW, I'd like to see Scott run this poll on the Thai Visa website so that the only people who can respond are actually Thai Visa members and not simply anybody who has a Facebook account.  The Facebook poll is a skewed sample and is not necessarily reflective of the opinions of actually Thai Visa Members.

An insurance for inpatients is more than necessary and overdue, but an insurance for outpatient treatment is ridiculous. My eye OP did cost 65,000 Baht, was done within 30 minutes as an outpatient. Such an amount should be affordable out of pocket. This applies to expats because expats are asked to show a pretty high monthly pension or a fixed amount of Bt 800.000 and never less then Bt 400,000 proven by a local bank. Therefore an insurance for oupatient expats does not make any sense at all!
Tourists, who unfortunately are often involved in traffic or diving accidents, should have a mandatory travel insurance, which covers everything from inpatients to outpatient costs. These are mainly the people who are in debt to the hospitals. So again. insurance for inpatients is a must, an insurance for outpatients (expats) exept tourists is ridiculous. The days of expats without enough money should be over anyway.

Australia has just introduced a new long-term tourist visa, allowing 3 or 5 year stays. The price is $5,000 for three years, but the catch is you are required to insure through a listed insurer only; for a 56 year old with no 'defects' the cheapest quote is $400 per month, so the three year visa actually costs almost $20,000 (1/2 million baht) ...!!

I think Thailand looks at this (as Aus immigration is very influential here) and thinks wow - the goose laid another golden egg!

4 hours ago, rabas said:

I wonder how many who said yes had seen the plans offered. Surely 100,000B for 400,000 of coverage, 40,000B outpatient, and US$1,000,000 repatriation are scamish. Just who is going to spend US$1M to send my ashes to Buriram?

Some of those plans offer far more than 400K coverage.  Some state a maximum per policy year and other plans have a maximum per disability per policy year.  Pacific Cross for example in the later category, age 71-75 you pay 70k/year for 420K coverage per disability.

According to the announcement by the Ministry of Public Health (MoPH), it would appear the new requirements only apply to those seeking an Non-Immigrant Visa OA and not to foreigners over 50 who stay in Thailand on an extension of stay based on retirement.??????????????????

Does Thai Visa know what an OA Visa is? It's for foreigners who are over 50 staying in thailand on an extension visa or Non Immigrant Visa known as OA Visa but slang for Retirement Visa. 

So the last statement made by Thai Visa Reporting is not clear -

Archived