Expats overwhelmingly support mandatory health insurance of over 50s: Poll

webfact

Complete bull, having 800,000 in the bank and now 30,000 per year and up for health insurance.  has anyone really looked at the real costs ? Telling me I have to pay for insurance when I cover the cost of my own Bill's is per communism. Some of these policies could cost close to 10,000 baht per month depending on age.

Maybe they should look at the real cost of all the Thai motorbike accidents before they attack the expat community that seems to be shrinking by the day.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The measuresures have been introduced to help ease the burden of foreigners not paying for medical treatment they have received in state hospitals.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

While I do agree that every foreigner, whether tourist or resident (any age) of any visa category should have some form of health insurance.

I don't like the fact the the Thai Government has defined the levels of coverage required.........seems dictatorial  to me.............

Will not be long before they extend it to all classes of foreign visas in Thailand and for all ages,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

If that occurs I assume foreigners working in Thailand legally and pay tax should they not get the same benefits as Thais for medical treatment without mandatory levels of supplementary health insurance.  

I am always sceptical about statistics that the Thai government references.  

When they say foreigners not paying, I would like to see the numbers in regards to what percentage were tourists and what percentage were residents?

The Thai government historically always like to pull skewed numbers out of their backside as justification for their actions.

Call me a conspiracist and suspicious but possibly foreign tourists may be the greater of not paying for medical treatment not foreign residents and this was the catalyst for the Thai government's decision for creating this latest hurdle for foreign residents to jump over! 

10 minutes ago, Wake Up said:

Can’t get blood out of a turnip. And there are a lot of turnips here. Time for all foreigners to pay to insure their health or go home.  I hope my home country will do the same. I don’t want anyone in my home country that is relying on the government to pay for their accident or illness because they do not want or cannot pay for insurance. Why or earth should Thailand taxpayers pay for the risk of foreigners getting hurt or sick. 

You did'nt read or understand what i wrote.

I don't see how you cannot pay your way out of hospital, be it A&E or the operating theatre.

You pay as you go, as i have done, the going rate, and more than a local.

So how is that costing the Thai tax payer money?

Oh and we are not talking about the travel insurance/holiday maker falling off his moped on Samui here. That is a different topic.

2 hours ago, ryane66 said:

I guess in your estimation l am an old greezer. I am 71. Slim and fit. Regular health checkups define me as excellent. I bike 30km EVERY day.

I outworked the younger Thai workers building my home. I really don't think l am close to having a foot in the grave. Pretty sure l could keep up to you.

not unlike you, I am close to 70 not received medical attention in more than 20 years other than medical checks for work, I am currently working at the job I was trained for heavy engineering, fit as a flea. but would struggle to get insurance cover at a reasonable cost and most certainly not out patient.

My wifeThai, who has long term illness, so none wants to insure her was treated in Thon Buri hospital which is government run, absolutely stunning care, this was after being ripped off by BHP 8 days ICU 700K, no improvement only treatment we were later told was only a temporary fix so like me we could not get full medical cover,, therefore we cover costs ourselves. our choice.

The 80,000 Baht in the bank is already a form of Insurance, (the problem is if your ill, and cannot use that money due to strict seasoning rules) Its also unfair if your injured by a suicidal uninsured Thai driver,

I'm sure the main problem is as previously stated Tourists, its so easy for them to skip, My wife was recently in hospital, and they were not going to release her untill bill was paid, we're not tourists.

Most insurance companies will not insure you if you have pre-existing health issues.

Most elderly people have some sort of medical problems so "catch 22" applies.

The other issue here is the extortionate fees and charges that are used by private hospitals.

From experience, private hospital cost up to 5 times more than local government hospital for the same procedure.

Get these hospital fees under control and make insurance affordable.   

When I moved to Thailand at 62 y.o. I checked on insurance and found that being self insured was more logical. I am now 81 y.o. with some health issues and so no insurance company will touch me.
However, I have sufficient funs in bank to cover any health care issues. In fact I recently had a stent inserted and paid for it out of pocket and still have enough to cover more than 400000 (I won't say exactly how much over). Moreover, because I have very good pension money coming in it is growing. 

I do not see how I can meet or, for that matter, need to be forced to have insurance that I can't get anyway.

33 minutes ago, john west said:

Bluesofa
This is the new requirement and yes it is true and same based on retirement extension and yes 800k 2 months before due date of extension based on retirement and have to leave it there for 3 months but can touch it, but providing you do not go below 400k
I noticed you on marriage basis so the normal amount is 400k and not sure and no expert but you have to leave 200k in for 3 months after.
My situation based on extension based on retirement is correct
Check with your Immigration Office.

Yes, agree about the new retirement extension info.

Can you tell me where it has been stated the same applies to marriage extensions regarding any amount needing to be left in an account after the extension is issued.?

The law on that has not been changed, unless it's happened in the past few days?

I just saw the quotes on 40,000 baht of outpatient coverage for over 50s, and the cost of it is....wait for it....43,000 baht!!!!!

OMG, in over 20 years of living in Thailand, I've never seen a bigger scam than this one. And it's compulsory!!!!

Too funny. IF I was forced into this, I'd definitely make sure I get that 40k of outpatient treatment each year even if I didn't need any treatment. 

With riduclously high prices like that, I'm sure there will be a big business in fake insurance for those visa extenders.

3 minutes ago, Wake Up said:

Do you believe “deep roots” in a foreign country entitle you to having your accident and emergency illness bills paid for by the host country.  Too many people with “ deep Roots” underestimate they are living in a foreign country and not entitled to anything other than a visa if they qualify subject to change.  Become a citizen or permanent resident of you truly want “deep roots.”  Otherwise you are a visitor that chooses to spend time and money here nothing more nothing less. 

wake up I have been living here in Thailand for over 15 years and I am as you say deep rooted. NOTHING in life is free. I make enough money that I pay taxes to Thailand and I believe that most deep rooted people living here do the same and you are VERY wrong when you say that we are not entitled to anything. Wake up if it was not for deep rooted people living here then Thailand would not be as good of a place and safe as it is.

Every time I have been to a hospital in Thailand they make sure you can pay before they even touch you.

So wish your  comment you have made points with the PM but NO one else because what you say is not true.

I have been suspended before for tell what I believe and what is true and they can suspended me again or kick me off this site but wake up you need to say you are sorry for your comments to the good expat that as you call us deep rooted people or research something before you say something

Mandatory or not, I'm very glad that I took out health insurance early on. 

For those of us unfortunate to have experienced major health problems the money spent has been a Godsend in my case.

People may not think that illness is around the corner but better to be prepared. 

3 hours ago, SoilSpoil said:

I don't. I like to have choices on life, and would never sign up for an 40k outpatient insurance. Ridiculous.

fully agree and most unpaid bills come from motorcycle rentals who are young, have no experience and no insurance and who responsible for  that not the rentals but renter

After the recent government check on hospital charges, If every foreigner had Insurance, it would then be OPEN SEASON for hospitals to Boost their charges even higher.

This whole issue would appear to be another of those non-thought over schemes for a quick fix for some of the problems here, Just typical of some of the brainless people in charge here.

3 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Just about anyone who thinks they can claim it back from your insurance I'd think.

Quoted 430000 (73) for that cover ! Anyone have an alternative ?Lots of insurance won't cover past 74.

1 minute ago, Polaky said:

How about setting up a poll here,  I am sure the outcome will be a lot different. 

polaky they will never do a poll here because they know that it would be very different than the fake poll they put out 

2 minutes ago, randy723 said:

wake up I have been living here in Thailand for over 15 years and I am as you say deep rooted. NOTHING in life is free. I make enough money that I pay taxes to Thailand and I believe that most deep rooted people living here do the same and you are VERY wrong when you say that we are not entitled to anything. Wake up if it was not for deep rooted people living here then Thailand would not be as good of a place and safe as it is.

Every time I have been to a hospital in Thailand they make sure you can pay before they even touch you.

So wish your  comment you have made points with the PM but NO one else because what you say is not true.

I have been suspended before for tell what I believe and what is true and they can suspended me again or kick me off this site but wake up you need to say you are sorry for your comments to the good expat that as you call us deep rooted people or research something before you say something

At the end of the day we have to rely on our mods to stop this style of posts and decide who is a wind up/rude/.... normally near all these people are baiting with comments and rarely contribute to the topic in the interests of most members

Very nice if you're under 70 and have no prior medical conditions but for us retirees with such the premiums are more than the required minimum set figures so you pay the 440,000 Baht every year whether or not you need any treatment.

I'll give it a month to see what really happens but if they want this money out of me (for practically nothing) I'm off.

3 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Hog wash and that is a fully loaded question.. Not until they real in the boundaries of affordable sensible health care and not the ones gouging the folks as they get older or if you use it then premiums go up or you are simply dropped.. It should be affordable like travel insurance or on the other end one should be able to have a minor deposit in a bank as hospital fund slated for health. How come I did not see this on normal Thai Visa?

Was this poll taken with over 50's only or could teenagers vote. Another question, what is the 800,000 bht requirement in the terms of retirement visa for.  I am a long term expat but over the age of health insurance eligibility, so i will have to DESERT my Thai family.  This latest hurdle we have to jump is cruel, inconsiderate and incompassionate. Another unfair rule made by favoured officials sitting in their stolen positions.  Where are the figures that the government has allegedly had to pay to settle expat hospital bills? When i have used a government hospital, i have always paid the bill as required

Once again majority being punished because of the minority.

As someone commented are the defaulters on payments 2 week tourists or residents? Either way, they should be brought before the courts, made to pay or incarcerated. It is up to the hospitals to report them to the police. Stop them at the airports or go to their homes but don't let them get away with non-payment.

Unlike another 70 year old who can cycle 30 km/day, I already have 3 conditions meaning I need to attend hospital every month and spend a lot of money on medication. I'm happy to pay my bills to receive the treatment; that's just how my life has turned out. I have also used 3 private hospitals and paid in full before discharge.  

If it was possible to buy insurance, they wouldn't pay out because I have existing conditions so I would still need to pay whichever hospital and (if posssible to get) insurance premiums.

I agree with a previous posting, how old were the people who voted YES? I have spoken to 10 retired foreigners and only one (aged 55) has insurance. The other nine people are outraged and also state that our local Immigraion Office will introduce their own rules same as they did with me in March concerning the embassy letters.

And just how many of those responding to the supposed survey were over 50?, and have deep roots here?, and...

Fair point ... TBH every person (Visitor or Expat) no matter what age they are should have compulsory travel or health insurance ... End of

Why not just let anyone staying here on 12 month extensions pay the 400+ baht per month to join the SS scheme so they can receive treatment at government hospitals  . Same as those working here pay, except you only get a card to use the hospitals not full SS entitlement if not working and paying income tax. I would join the scheme tomorrow. 

3 hours ago, Mitkof Island said:

Still as confused as ever. Are they talking about. Type O-A Retirements visas ? Type O Marriage visas ? Those that need no bank accounts that apply for Type O visas in Savannakhet Laos ? And why not mandatory to ALL visas? What about the millions of Full Moon Party idiots who in up in the hospitals and make a dash to the airports without paying?

after noticing your profile picture, i have completely forgotten what the hell we are talking about anyway?  ha ha

And just how many of those responding to the supposed survey were over 50?, and have deep roots here?, and...

Here lies the problem. First, any teenager could answer this farce of a poll. To have a retirement visa one has to conform with certain financial requirements,. What is this money a guarantee for ? Last, many of us long term expats are over the eligible age for health insurance and have got Thai families. So are we being forced to DESERT them by senior officials sitting in their stolen positions. 

3 hours ago, bluesofa said:

So it seems as clear as mud then.

While I know there has been no change (yet) regarding changes for Non O extensions, it wouldn't surprise me if some offices might take  it upon themselves to decide what is required.

There was a report last week of one office telling an applicant that his 400K Baht for his marriage extension needed to stay in his account for three months after the application.

Of course.

Rule 1, If you don't know or are in doubt make up your own rule.

Rule 2. Implement the "rule" you just made up.

Rule 3. Don't back down whatever the real rules are.

Rule 4. Pass on the inconvenience to the ones applying, regardless of if you could make it easier.

Seems to be the normal approach. Not the individuals vault. Rules are often deliberately vague or leave plenty of room for interpretations.

However, for those who have Non-O visas and extended yearly based on retirement, there is now a requirement to keep money in the bank yearly. 800k for 6 months, 400k for 6 months. I suspect many if not most expat retirees here keep something above 800k in their accounts for safety. The issue will be if they have to dip below the 400k to pay a medical bill. Will they be treated sympathetically at their next extension if they have topped up quickly? Or, will it be rules are rules, you must leave and start the process again? We won't know until the dust settles and many have been through it.

Just now, Huckenfell said:

Here lies the problem. First, any teenager could answer this farce of a poll. To have a retirement visa one has to conform with certain financial requirements,. What is this money a guarantee for ? Last, many of us long term expats are over the eligible age for health insurance and have got Thai families. So are we being forced to DESERT them by senior officials sitting in their stolen positions. 

Your last sentence is a sad possibility for some. But I doubt will bother those making the decisions and rules one iota.

I have excellent insurance in the States that is not accepted here. I tested the overseas compensation and found it only reimburses me about 30% of foreign treatment compared to 100% in the States.  Why is the question.  A bill for the same procedure here could be a tenth of the cost at home.  Paying third world hospital bills in full would save them billions over having expats return home for treatment. They should be paying people a 10% cash bonus to travel abroad for treatment.  That being said I would support a mandatory gap insurance for major treatment but for most services I have needed so far I can pay for it with the loose change in my cars center console. Any coverage under 100000 baht would be a waste of my time. 

Archived