getting divorced after renewal my one year marriage visa extension

Hi everyone,

I'm going through a divorce in June after renewal my one year marriage visa extension this month. I wonder if my visa will still be valid to use or it will be cancelled automatically. 

Any help would be very appreciated.

Thank you so much in advance.

thank you guys for the reply very appreciate it. 

by the way nobody will notify immigration about the divorce so it means my visa will still be valid to use until it expire next year????? 

13 minutes ago, natway09 said:

This is why I went the retirement route just in case.

That is unnecessary. In the event you get divorced you can switch to a ‘retirement extension’ at the time.

• Like 2

Slightly different visa - Multi Entry Non O based on marriage. I continued to enter and leave Thailand using my M.E.N.O. until it expired around 6 months after my divorce so at that time (2017/2018), there was clearly no link-up between immigration computers and the marriage register. 

18 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Slightly different visa - Multi Entry Non O based on marriage. I continued to enter and leave Thailand using my M.E.N.O. until it expired around 6 months after my divorce so at that time (2017/2018), there was clearly no link-up between immigration computers and the marriage register. 

There still isn't a link.

The same principle applies. Once you have divorced the visa is effectively void because the purpose of your visit has ended. Immigration could cancel the visa and any permission to stay after you've divorced.

16 minutes ago, elviajero said:

There still isn't a link.

The same principle applies. Once you have divorced the visa is effectively void because the purpose of your visit has ended. Immigration could cancel the visa and any permission to stay after you've divorced.

Grey area. Worked many contracts on non O and when finished always kept the viss.

I honestly believe even divorced while on an M E N O as you never do 90 day reports they would not be desperate to cancel it.

However, technically ?????

Yes, I know every time you come through the airport or border you are 'reporting' to Imm.' I rememember you argued that point before. ????????

When you divorce your extension based on marriage ceases to be valid.

There is no automatic link though between the ampheur registers for marriage, divorce etc and immigration. That's why when you apply for extension based on marriage you get 4 weeks pending review and then go back to get the full year. During that 4 weeks they check that you are still legally married.

So since we're in May now, and you're getting divorced in June, you might want to be careful too that your divorce doesn't come within that 4 week gap between extending now and going back in 4 weeks to get the full year. As otherwise they won't give you the rest of the year, if you hit the wrong timing and they have checked to find you just got divorced.

After you've got your full year, and after your divorce, your extension isn't cancelled automatically. But it isn't valid.

Always the risk that something crops up though, like someone reporting you, another check for something else etc etc.

Plus next year if you ask to renew for a different reason, they will likely ask why you changed. If you hadn't played by the book, you'll then get penalised for not having a valid extension from the date you're divorced. Always the risk they will seek to do checks on circumstances around your change of status.

Best to plan ahead. Be straight up. Just before getting divorced, change your visa extension purpose. Or leave and come back on another visa

Cheers

Fletch ????

Edited by fletchsmile
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/15/2019 at 1:37 PM, fletchsmile said:

That's why when you apply for extension based on marriage you get 4 weeks pending review and then go back to get the full year. During that 4 weeks they check that you are still legally married

There is no 4 week waiting period for a M.E.N.O. - depending on the office, it is either issued the same day or the next day.

Not denying what you are saying - just pointing out a difference between an extension and a M.E.N.O. based upon marriage.

Edited by KhaoYai

On 5/15/2019 at 3:44 PM, elviajero said:

That is unnecessary. In the event you get divorced you can switch to a ‘retirement extension’ at the time.

It might, in practice, prove a tad difficult for you to meet the current financial requirements for retirement extensions in the short term, though - particularly if, as in the OP's case, you might be needing to switch to retirement barely a month after obtaining a marriage extension!