Thai Airways’ profits dive 83% year-on-year

webfact

22 hours ago, BobbyL said:

As has been mentioned many times before, they're an airline destined to fail. Poor service, older fleets and prices that now I don't even bother to ever check, nor does anyone else I know. 

However, the biggest factor in their decline will be not bringing in experienced foreign management to improve the airline. Look at Etihad, Qatar, Emirates etc who all brought in foreign expertise 10 - 20 years ago. That is their sort of competition, yet Thai Airways would never EVER do that. They have a bunch of boot lickers that have been there since the 90s and 80s. ''Solly, you no understan Thai cultuuurrr''.

I hope they go bust. 

EXACTLY !  they have no idea.   The guy in charge right now was a top man in the Royal Thai Airforce and he is expected to compete with the worlds best airline administrators.  But you have to hand it to him, he knows how to fly so should do well in the job.    Thats Thai thinking from a self appointed government.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

What you mean? We are Thai. This is Thailand. We not need the foreigners. Understand? 

A Thai can do the job so no Farang needed. The man in charge of Thai Airways  is ex Royal Thai Airforce so he knows how to do

22 hours ago, Creasy said:

Random date in September, Brisbane to Bangkok return.

Air Asia is less than half the price of Thai.

22 hours ago, Creasy said:

Random date in September, Brisbane to Bangkok return.

Air Asia is less than half the price of Thai.

Yes but this is basic, flying to Coolangatta which is a couple of hours south of Brisbane. I have done this and its never worth the hassle. You either have to leave Brisbane about 4 am or stay in overnight accommodation near the airport which really a very basic regional airport.

21 hours ago, JRG23 said:

To be fair, all companies do this across the world (even Boeing!).

They cannot accept mistakes - puts the share value down big time.

Be like the Gulf States airlines, just get on with good managers and grow.

21 hours ago, bluesea said:

The Company has been going down Hill for years, Arrogant Cabin Crew , Sub standard Food , limited Alcohol on long haul flights, Aircraft not cleaned.

They will not learn,by customers complaints.

We now fly Singapore Airlines and cannot fault the Service at all.

Me too, they are the very best.

19 hours ago, johnarth said:

the baht is high and getting higher do not know where you been or are you a lucky one and don't need to check?

I don't check but i am also not lucky. I do know that no matter how many times i check it will  make no difference.

11 hours ago, NanLaew said:

A 10 year old experience on a flight that no longer exists.

Thanks for playing.

????????????

good for you, 

they can keep the airline running by your kind, however there are not many like you. No wonder the ticket price keep going up. 

23 hours ago, jmd8800 said:

Last fall I was looking for flights from BKK to LAX. I usually fly Asiana for around 850USD. I noticed the Thai Air prices for the same travel dates was around 1400USD. I booked Asiana.

When I boarded the Asiana flight I found it was a code share flight with Thai Air.

That isn’t good for a passenger booked on Thai Airways and it does nothing for Star Alliance. 

16 hours ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

They dont fly to amsterdam, i geuss if they fly to amsterdam schiphol and lower their prices a fair bit , they can steal some freqeunt flyers from eva and klm. there is nothing wrong with their planes ,quit nice actualy very nice bussines . China was flying direct flight from schiphol before bussines 1500euro good price but thai bussines much nicer because china was using old planes at the end . Now not flying at all . I think thai air can do good bussines if fly schiphol bkk direct . And lower their prices ofcourse not 3000euro business but around 1800 , better full bussines for 1800 a chair then empty and sell only one seat for 3000 .

Where will you find a Thai who could possibly understand that lower prices will fill all seats. No if they have 50% seats full then have to increase price to cover.

13 hours ago, potless said:

"British airways profits tumble 62% in the 1st 3 months of this year" Daily Mail 11th May. "Easy Jet swings into a 270 million pound loss" Daily Mail today. "Jet Airways  ground all flights". They didnt have enough money to buy fuel. Any opinions on why that may be? Calling all experts,,,,,,,,,,

Competition.

Thai Airways’ profits dive 83%

On 5/17/2019 at 11:20 AM, webfact said:

Net profit of 456 million baht, down from a 2.7 billion baht profit in the first three months of last year

mmm 450 million isn't 83% of 2.7 billion.... nevertheless great reporting...

20 hours ago, potless said:

Another poster stated that he doesnt even bother to check Thai Airways prices because they are always too high. I felt the same until murphys law came into play. Three years back, a couple of weeks before Christmas my daughter wanted to come to Thailand for xmas. I said too expensive and dont bother checking T.A. She calls me back and has found a return flight for 496 pounds with Thai Airways through an agent.I said book it straight away. British Airways approx 900 pounds. Same last year. Return flight just over 500 pounds. The flight market is totally unpredictable. Never say never. Deals come and go fast. Looking at T.A. website yesterday for a one way flight to London in July. About 14,600 baht includes 20 kg baggage or for an extra 1000 baht or so a 30kg allowance. British Airways nearer 20,000. It varies day by day. Around 6 or 7 years ago I booked a return flight with Qantas from London to Bangkok for 100 pounds less than the British Airways price. The actual flight was operated by British Airways. Same plane.

No,this is more typical for a flight to uk in July 

93963868-9F67-4E54-A1F5-F9FD22EC5747.png

1 hour ago, Huckenfell said:

Yes but this is basic, flying to Coolangatta which is a couple of hours south of Brisbane. I have done this and its never worth the hassle. You either have to leave Brisbane about 4 am or stay in overnight accommodation near the airport which really a very basic regional airport.

Air asia flies direct from Brisbane to bangkok now. Just started recently

On 5/17/2019 at 11:32 AM, PatOngo said:

That can only mean one thing......time to buy more planes. I just love Thai logic!

I wonder why you think that is strange?

At the moment, Thai Airways has 106 aircraft, although I only have data on 86 of them: 3 of which are in the age range 22 - 25 years, 14 of which are in the range 19 - 22 years, 6 of which are in the range 16 - 19 years and 2 in the range 13 to 16 range.

The mean age of the fleet is currently 9.77 years and the replacement of its oldest 31 aircraft will drag that down to around 5.25 years by my calculation.

Newer aircraft save on maintenance and fuel and many other costs although, of course, they are expensive to buy/lease.

1 hour ago, MickeyDelux said:

Thai Airways’ profits dive 83%

mmm 450 million isn't 83% of 2.7 billion.... nevertheless great reporting...

I have not looked for MickeyDelux's post; but that 83.33% is the rate of change of net profit from Q1 2018 to Q1 2019.

On 5/17/2019 at 11:23 AM, shady86 said:

Always put the blame on external factors. Typical Thainess, never look at ownself and self improvement.

External factors include

oil prices

exchange rates

Are you saying that Thai Airways must internalise those factors? In their Presentation for Analysts, they say Forex Gains for Q1 2019 amount to 1.3 billion Baht as opposed to a gain of 0.6 billion Baht a year ago.

Just one example.

I fly every month from Dubai to Bangkok. Normally on Emirates. Last month due to Easter the Emirates fare was very expensive so I flew Thai. The flight was atrocious. The food was terrible. The entertainment was worthless. If they want to make money then they need to seriously improve their service. 

2 hours ago, nchuckle said:

No,this is more typical for a flight to uk in July 

93963868-9F67-4E54-A1F5-F9FD22EC5747.png

i flew one way bkk/lhr in early April, Thai were the cheapest, looking at a flight back august out, return April 2020 uk/bkk/uk Thai again are showing as the 2nd cheapest, after Swiss (£490) Thai £543, eva £636, BA £750

Seems that it is cheaper to buy two single tickets than a return, would have thought a return would be cheaper!!!

BKK to Dusseldorf

image.png.38c6decf3ef82dddfaf8d033f1a133f3.png

Dusseldorf to BKK (454 Euro being under 17000THB)

image.png.1f56ee796b284006df2243004a922518.png

Now same dates but book complete with Return

image.png.b13b62985fcf0a97ca8640f9186f8274.png

A difference or around 8000THB if you buy two singles

On 5/17/2019 at 11:32 AM, 4MyEgo said:

I was waiting for years for them to have sales to travel to Australia, so in all those years of travel to Australia in the interim, they have lost out as other carriers like Jetstar have fares at less than halve the price Thai airways have been offering, and those are direct flights from Phuket to Sydney, although I did fly with AirAsia to Sydney once via Malaysia, the change was a bit boring but hey, i.e. 3 hour layover, but the fare was still half the price.

The above said, Thai Airways fly bigger planes with more room, food and alcohol free, as is entertainment, but hey, iPads/tablets these days sort that out, as do ready made meals to take on board, and if you need a drink, you pay a little extra or go without.

All of the above said, I would fly Thai Airways to Sydney for $800AUS return, but not over $1,000 when I can get there direct for $580AUS from Phuket all inclusive, just have to take some food/snacks on board, it all adds up when you have a big family of 6, so if Thai Airways wants to stay in the game, it has to drop it's pants, i.e. it's called competition, or better abng for your buck !

Wow, I have been flying Thai Airways  BKK-SYD for over 20 years a few times each year, I agree with all you observations and experiences............never been able to get a fare under $1000 AUD all inclusive for the last 5 years....even booking online now, for 2 months out the best price I can get is $1000 AUD and I have to be day selective and take the Flexi Saver options to get that price, in the high season it costs me between $1100 to $1200 AUD on Thai Airways economy................as you said overpriced and noncompetitive............it's rare I see any empty seats on this SYD-BKK / BKK-SYD route, normally the planes are full...........so one has to ask, are they flying to many non-profitable routes / segments, inefficient business model or two many little piggies have their noses in the trough.....  

Archived