KLM baggage charge

adammike

KLM have started to charge €50 each leg for checked bags for long haul,EVA have started to charge for seat selection on the Amsterdam Bangkok along with six sorts of economy tickets,add on the dire exchange rate it might be time to give up my winter break.

I can understand an extra checked bag charge - BA have done it for years.

That is why I fly with Emirates. Longhaul - 30kg in cattle class with better food thousands of movies and a big seat and screen on the A380.

KLM and Airfrance have been going downhill since they joined forces. Ask any Dutch employee "What's wrong with KLM ?" - The answer is always "AirFrance"....... 

I suspect the OP is referring to an ECONOMY LIGHT class booking which appears to not have a free baggage allowance... but KL’s traditional Y class still does.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

1 hour ago, lonewolf99 said:

KLM and Airfrance have been going downhill since they joined forces. Ask any Dutch employee "What's wrong with KLM ?" - The answer is always "AirFrance"...

Tell me about it. As a seaman, KLM were traditionally the airline of choice with the best routes, service and baggage allowances. Then AF bought them and foisted their Oil Club membership on you while flying to fewer oil provinces. Then suddenly we had lounge access disallowed. They were mercenary on baggage overages, relentlessly insisting that even 1 kg over had to be paid for. Their 'partnership' saw endless online booking attempts to route pax via CDG rather than the faster, better, typically cheaper and altogether more fun Schiphol.

58 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

relentlessly insisting that even 1 kg over had to be paid for.

Our first and last flight with AirFrance was in the 90s.

Seems nothing has changed to the better.

The baggage item was just one of the bad experiences (arrogant staff, laughable Paris airport etc.).

This cutting of baggage allowance and other services makes them look better with starting prices for search engines. Following the bad example of low cost carriers.

With terrible Eurowings the basic price for long haul (Bangkok - Germany) is without checked baggage, no meal, no drinks.

2 hours ago, baansgr said:

So no checked baggage allowance whatsoever? Very strange

Just checked on KLM website for a June schedule (BKK -> AMS -> BKK).

23 kg allowance.

Yes, seat reservation cost extra.
Crown lounge access cost extra.

Additional checked baggage cost extra (no surprise).

?

Maybe the OP should give more details.

FOUND it.

Searching same dates for direction from AMS to BKK there is a "Light" tariff.

As written: following the trail of the low cost carriers showing low prices for conditions that are hardly acceptable.

Although on-board service seems untouched.

klm_light.jpg

2 hours ago, adammike said:

it might be time to give up my winter break.

Please don't :smile:

So many one stop connections that are cheaper/better.

A winter break is worth the extra effort.

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

23 kg allowance.

?

It was reported in the Dutch press this morning so I checked on vliegwinkel.com for a flight in January and the checked baggage is extra €50 each leg on the Amsterdam Bangkok rout.Obviously it's not going to happen in first class, business and probably not  premium economy, add on seat selection? I don't need seat selection as Schiphol is a 30 minute train ride away.EVA is now charging for seat selection in some classes of economy that's new it was only for the seats with extra legroom before.I guess it's Turkish they have a new airport, Qatar or Emirates but the get bad reviews.Just been on the KLM app and a return flight in January 29 days is a whopping €840 with 23kg checked bag €760 with hand luggage only 12kg .

8 hours ago, adammike said:

It was reported in the Dutch press this morning so I checked on vliegwinkel.com for a flight in January and the checked baggage is extra €50 each leg on the Amsterdam Bangkok rout.Obviously it's not going to happen in first class, business and probably not  premium economy, add on seat selection? I don't need seat selection as Schiphol is a 30 minute train ride away.EVA is now charging for seat selection in some classes of economy that's new it was only for the seats with extra legroom before.I guess it's Turkish they have a new airport, Qatar or Emirates but the get bad reviews.Just been on the KLM app and a return flight in January 29 days is a whopping €840 with 23kg checked bag €760 with hand luggage only 12kg .

Only on 'light' tickets.

11 hours ago, adammike said:

It was reported in the Dutch press this morning so I checked on vliegwinkel.com for a flight in January and the checked baggage is extra €50 each leg on the Amsterdam Bangkok rout.

I had already made clear in the following post that there is indeed a "Light" ticket for the direction from AMS to BKK return.

My first post referred to BKK to AMS where there is no "Light" tariff (yet).

I did not checked yet, but for seat reservations you could by online check in 24 hours before departure still choose your seat who are still not reserved for free , and extra 23kilo suit case online for 80€ a leg was always available  (my extra chocolate /cheese and more supply on my AMS >BKK leg ..:thumbsup:) this for economy , makes  maybe difference if you are a flying blue member (old frequent flyer program) 

PS: may I remark that my first flight to BKK 10 years past was a Brussels>Frankfurt >Bangkok cheapest flight was 900+ € .

We all complain , but flights are cheaper now than those years …! we like to forget that seems :whistling:

16 hours ago, lonewolf99 said:

I can understand an extra checked bag charge - BA have done it for years.

That is why I fly with Emirates. Longhaul - 30kg in cattle class with better food thousands of movies and a big seat and screen on the A380.

KLM and Airfrance have been going downhill since they joined forces. Ask any Dutch employee "What's wrong with KLM ?" - The answer is always "AirFrance"....... 

Have not flown KLM for many years, but used to love them when doing the Syd Amsterdam run frequently way back when.

18 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Please don't :smile:

So many one stop connections that are cheaper/better.

A winter break is worth the extra effort.

It's never one thing,It's the first significant rise in flight prices for years it looks like it will cost €100 extra for the flight what with paying to choose an aisle seat and maybe baggage.The exchange rate is Dire Superrich has the € at 35:45 on their web page I have always said 36 is my cut off point it actually went below 35 one day in January.The inevitable price rise in goods and services generally, the soi dogs,the pollution,the quality of the food,the girls,the Gogo's are off limits on my pension,it's dispiriting to walk the streets and see the lack of care and general trashing of the environment, that's not confined to Thailand here in North Wales the kids trashing the place and leaving plastic garbage wherever they go.Brexit! Farage!, Tory's in general, Corbyn, you get the picture. 

"In the standard and Flex tickets is still a piece of check-in luggage included, but people with a Light ticket must hold baggage can be booked and charged 25 euros extra per flight. With a return flight are you so spend 50 euro extra baggage, both for flights within Europe and intercontinental flights."

So not a problem for what I tend to buy (economy standard).

BUT out of 8 KLM/Air France flight in booked in the last 2 years, 3 were cancelled and my flight was postponed. It gets you a juicy compensation, but it's always very inconvenient.

10 hours ago, yokat said:

"In the standard and Flex tickets is still a piece of check-in luggage included, but people with a Light ticket must hold baggage can be booked and charged 25 euros extra per flight. With a return flight are you so spend 50 euro extra baggage, both for flights within Europe and intercontinental flights."

So not a problem for what I tend to buy (economy standard).

BUT out of 8 KLM/Air France flight in booked in the last 2 years, 3 were cancelled and my flight was postponed. It gets you a juicy compensation, but it's always very inconvenient.

It's €50 each way to Bangkok.

• 2 weeks later...

So I have to pay 100 euros for my cabin bag with KLM from Bangkok to the UK there and back?

I did not have to pay anything extra last year.

Can they actually get away with doing that after I had paid for my flight, if I had known I would have traveled with BA instead.

I mean that is nearly 200 GBP on to my fare altogether.

On 5/20/2019 at 8:04 PM, KhunBENQ said:

23 kg allowance.

?

I bought and paid for my flight about four months ago, there was nothing about the cabin bag then. I also flew with them the previous year.

To be honest, I am wondering if I picked this up wrongly. They now want an extra 100 euros each way for the bag you take on the plane. I just cannot see how the can do this after I have paid for my flight.

5 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I bought and paid for my flight about four months ago, there was nothing about the cabin bag then. I also flew with them the previous year.

To be honest, I am wondering if I picked this up wrongly. They now want an extra 100 euros each way for the bag you take on the plane. I just cannot see how the can do this after I have paid for my flight.

It was €50 each way on the ams-bkk flight that I saw + paying for seat selection,on the same rout Eva now charge for seat selection on some of their economy seats.The basic ticket price seems to be the same or to have risen slightly so on the face of it it's going to be close to €200 extra on KLM for baggage and the aisle seat that I need,the seats with extra legroom have always had a premium attached to them I guess that price has also risen.

12 minutes ago, adammike said:

It was €50 each way on the ams-bkk flight that I saw + paying for seat selection,on the same rout Eva now charge for seat selection on some of their economy seats.The basic ticket price seems to be the same or to have risen slightly so on the face of it it's going to be close to €200 extra on KLM for baggage and the aisle seat that I need,the seats with extra legroom have always had a premium attached to them I guess that price has also risen.

At only six ft tall, I can live without the extra leg room, so after paying for my flight, they are now going to charge me 200 Euro extra even though there was nothing said about it when I paid for my flight.

On 6/10/2019 at 3:32 PM, possum1931 said:

So I have to pay 100 euros for my cabin bag with KLM from Bangkok to the UK there and back?

I did not have to pay anything extra last year.

Can they actually get away with doing that after I had paid for my flight, if I had known I would have traveled with BA instead.

I mean that is nearly 200 GBP on to my fare altogether.

You already have your ticket with the associated conditions. They will not retrospectively change.

Archived