Cannabis no panacea, FDA cautions users

webfact

Cannabis no panacea, FDA cautions users

By THE NATION

4f789881f63fc05f43f3d077eddfce7e.jpeg

File photo

FOOD AND Drug Administration (FDA) is warning the public that cannabis is not a magic medicine that can cure all illnesses modern medicine cannot.

Cannabis cannot cure many illnesses, including diabetes, high blood pressure and heart problems as well as mental illness, FDA deputy secretary-general Dr Surachoke Tangwiwat said yesterday.

“I wish to make it clear that cannabis will not help heal those illness. Those who use the plant to cure a disease could suffer side-effects. We do not know for sure the exact amount each patient needs and the suitable breed of the plants,” the doctor said. Some ingredients of the herb could cause side-effects such as hallucinations. 

The doctor issued the warning after seeing those who had surrendered their weed and registered themselves as cannabis users during the three-month medical marijuana amnesty period that ended on Tuesday.

“Most of those who showed up to register during the amnesty were teens, despite the fact that under the regulations, no teens were allowed to use marijuana. They have to get written permission from their parents,” he said.

His office has received a series of reports from the intensive care units of several hospitals reporting they had treated patients suffering from headaches and fainting after using cannabis,” Surachoke said.

The existing laws do not permit cannabis use by those under 20 years old.

On Tuesday, the last amnesty day, about 20,000 people showed up to surrender the herb they possessed, the FDA chief said.

In about three months, around July-August, patients will be required to enter the medical system for diagnosis and to be prescribed cannabinoid medication by authorised doctors. If a doctor believes the ailment does not require marijuana, other treatment will be prescribed,” he said.

Most of those reporting during the amnesty said they used weed to relieve aches and pains and to relieve anxiety and stress. “Those symptoms could be healed by using other medicines; it us unnecessary to use cannabis,” he said.

On the contrary, the number of those who used marijuana to treat epilepsy in children, or were cancer patients numbered only about 100.

The authorities also seized cannabis seeds from groups of people who were believed to be about to use them for the purpose of growing weed.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30369907

thenation_logo.jpg

What a misleading statement, of course Cannabis is NOT A CURE, cannabis greatly alleviate pains, suffering both to body and mind, and for the FDA to come up with such a lame statement is ludacris... 

" Those who use the plant to cure a disease could suffer side-effects."                         

Correct 100%.

I had a full medical check up at the biginning of the week and I suffered very happy side effects and reports, of using cannabis oil three years ago.

I had at that stage been diagnosed with skin cancer stage 5, stomach cancer, stage 4 and a cancerous tumour in my kidney.

After all the tests at the begining of this week, I am still cancer free and not a trace of a cancer cell in my body.

Granted it is not a cure all, but the product does cure a lot of ailments.

BUT and here is the bottom line...it must be lab refined and produced, not backyard or home made concoctions.

The product I used contained as per 1ml, CBD 62.5mg, THC 2.0mg and Vit E 10mg. All in a 50ml glass bottle with eye dropper.

"If a doctor believes the ailment does not require marijuana..." 

This is the key phrase in this article, or specifically "a doctor." That covers a broad spectrum of people including psychiatrists and, in Thailand at least, practitioners of traditional medicine. 

In America and Canada, there are former '60s hippies turned doctors who came out of retirement, scruffy hair and all, specifically to prescribe weed to anyone who claims to have insomnia, headaches, etc. And guess what? There's quite a bit of money in it for doctors willing to do that. Entire offices are funded on this one thing alone. 

In Thailand, there will be doctors ready and willing to do the exact same thing. Question is, how restrictive will the government be? If Bhumjaithai ends up as part of the PPRP coalition, I'd say not very. 

"Most of those reporting during the amnesty said they used weed to relieve aches and pains and to relieve anxiety and stress. “Those symptoms could be healed by using other medicines; it us unnecessary to use cannabis,” he said."

Highlighting the Thai total lack of knowledge of anything they haven't been told. Go buy a synthetic pill and suport our friends in the pharmaceutical industry instead of a natural remedy. And he is totally f##cking wrong. Another Thai medical idiot.

7 hours ago, faraday said:

Yes, I would think that it might be of some assistance in some ailments.

However, the simplistic mantra by some people that's it's a 'cure all', is naive & childish.

But it's great to be stoned.

Guest Jerry787

Ohh yahh.... use valium to dome pain, in that way the prescriber get free holidays !

big pharma  seem very active on spreading false new and keep their profit up.... 

the article is more a big pharma bull-stools propaganda...

On 5/24/2019 at 5:09 AM, webfact said:

“I wish to make it clear that cannabis will not help heal those illness. Those who use the plant to cure a disease could suffer side-effects. We do not know for sure the exact amount each patient needs and the suitable breed of the plants,” the doctor said.

If a doctor believes the ailment does not require marijuana, other treatment will be prescribed,” he said.

Most of those reporting during the amnesty said they used weed to relieve aches and pains and to relieve anxiety and stress. “Those symptoms could be healed by using other medicines; it us unnecessary to use cannabis,” he said.

On the contrary, the number of those who used marijuana to treat epilepsy in children, or were cancer patients numbered only about 100.

Seems like these doctors and the Food and Drug Administration are looking for any excuse not to prescribe medical marijuana to it's patients. Maybe they should check out other countries across the globe to see how they use medical marijauna to treat patients.

Here's some help Thailand:- Google is your friend...

Medical marijuana is used to treat a number of different conditions, including:

Alzheimer's disease

Appetite loss

Cancer

Crohn's disease

Eating disorders such as anorexia

Epilepsy

Glaucoma

Mental health conditions like schizophrenia and posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD)

Multiple sclerosis

Muscle spasms

Nausea

Pain

Wasting syndrome (cachexia)

Given the Kingdom's rampant methamphetamine problems (health, crime, prison), and ageing population, it seems like medical marijuana solutions (bud, oil, CBD, CBN, et al) should be examined, trialled and offered to the public. 

Now excuse me, I'm off to get my shark fin, rhino horn powder and whatever these pangolins are used for.

On 5/25/2019 at 12:32 PM, Winky Wilson said:

Big Pharma can't patent cannabis. It cures cancer, ulcerative colitis, croans disease, epilepsy, and the list goes on and on and on. Willie Nelson is almost 90 years old and doesn't appear to be causing him mental or physical health issues.

Please link to Scientific Studies that prove this.

On 5/25/2019 at 12:32 PM, Winky Wilson said:

Big Pharma can't patent cannabis. It cures cancer, ulcerative colitis, croans disease, epilepsy, and the list goes on and on and on. Willie Nelson is almost 90 years old and doesn't appear to be causing him mental or physical health issues.

24 minutes ago, faraday said:

Please link to Scientific Studies that prove this.

Archived