Diesel generator 5-7 kVA Recommendation?

Got an early start, put on the wheels and feet, oil (it took 1l), a liter of 91, tested the battery (12.6V no load), set the choke - just because, turned the key and VROOM.  (off the choke)

The noise about the same as the 2k Honda - which isn't that bad.  But I also have a new house for it - so that should also help.  At no load, I got 235V and 53hz.  Not concerned about the voltage as it will be going through my AVRs anyway.  Should i worry about the Hz or not?

The one strange thing is that I topped off the gas with a 10l can and I could see the gas level just below the filler hole.  The gas cap says 25l tank.  ??

New Genset.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bankruatsteve said:

set the choke

Assuming it's got a real or clone GX390 engine check out the earlier thread on how to modify so you don't need the choke to start.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

@Crossy what about the 53Hz I'm getting no load?  Check again with load or not to worry?

Check it on about 50% load, but so long as your UPS isn't objecting I wouldn't be too worried.

Adjustment isn't difficult with a meter. You will need to download the engine service manual from Honda for the correct governor adjustment procedure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

Check it on about 50% load, but so long as your UPS isn't objecting I wouldn't be too worried.

Adjustment isn't difficult with a meter. You will need to download the engine service manual from Honda for the correct governor adjustment procedure.

No UPS, just garden lights on a timer.  Nothin's broke, so I guess I won't fix it.  Cheers.

• Like 1

Lights, heaters, anything resistive loads won't care about frequency much (they'll even 'flicker' less visibly if it's high)

Motors do care but 5% off isn't anything to worry about, your fan will be fine ????

Clocks from the 80's will be slightly fast..

• Like 1

• 2 months later...