How is Malaysia ?

15 hours ago, taiwanatoa said:

No. Your " mistake " is in thinking that all we need to do in order to legally live in Malaysia for 10 years is to pay 900 RM for a visa. If that were all that was required then there would be millions of westerners going for it!  Do you not understand the requirements for the MM2H ?

I have a Malaysian MM2H visa so I know the requirements very well. I didn't say that was the only requirement just the cost of the visa. This thread is about the positive and/or negative aspects of life in Malaysia not about the details of obtaining a MM2H visa.

17 hours ago, scuba2day said:

I have a Malaysian MM2H visa so I know the requirements very well. I didn't say that was the only requirement just the cost of the visa. This thread is about the positive and/or negative aspects of life in Malaysia not about the details of obtaining a MM2H visa.

No, it is  about trying to get  any , and all, information about going to, and staying possibly long-term in Malaysia.

By looking at your post , anyone  would get the impression that that  is all  that is  required to legally stay there.

• 3 weeks later...

MM2H visa too expensive for me ; 90 days, can we extend without going out, and how many times can we extend them ?

I look Malaysia as a possible B plan to Thailand ( because of problems of health insurance, that I can't have ) 

thanks 

• 4 weeks later...

I know quite a few people living in Malaysia on the MM2H program (mm2h.gov.my). Most if not all are happily retired there. 

it is very clear from the posts here that if you’re a sex tourist, racist, alcoholic and narrow minded, it is not the country for you. There is however, tinder. 

In many respects, Malaysia functions as a 1st world country with enforced rules and regulations. While bribery and corruption does exist, try bribing a cop at your own peril. Street food is excellent and not all fried in oil as some ignorant souls would have you believe. Alcohol is affordable if consuming at home. 

Islamisation is an issue but does not impact on foreigners unless you are on of those mentioned in the 2nd para above. 

• Like 1

On 12/28/2019 at 2:27 AM, Gweiloman said:

I know quite a few people living in Malaysia on the MM2H program (mm2h.gov.my). Most if not all are happily retired there. 

it is very clear from the posts here that if you’re a sex tourist, racist, alcoholic and narrow minded, it is not the country for you. There is however, tinder. 

In many respects, Malaysia functions as a 1st world country with enforced rules and regulations. While bribery and corruption does exist, try bribing a cop at your own peril. Street food is excellent and not all fried in oil as some ignorant souls would have you believe. Alcohol is affordable if consuming at home. 

Islamisation is an issue but does not impact on foreigners unless you are on of those mentioned in the 2nd para above. 

MM2H is more suitable for those already with a family. That's why even parents and children below 21 of the MM2H permit holder, in addition to the spouse, are also given permits, so in a way, the MM2H program is rather cheap.

Yes, Malaysia is not suitable for sex tourists, racists, alcoholics and narrow minded people.

If you want great food in Malaysia, you have to ask the ethnic Chinese to show you around, not the Malays or the Indians. The Indians and the Malays generally do not do steaming or double-boiling (technically-speaking, a form of steaming too), unlike the Chinese.

• 5 weeks later...

Apparently, Malaysia is tightening up on their "MM2H" retirement visa. The stated rationale is similar to Thailand's: to crack down on foreign criminals and money laundering. (See:

https://www.malaymail.com/news/malaysia/2019/03/04/report-putrajaya-tightens-checks-on-expat-retirement-programme/1728776 )

In practice, however, applicants have reported being rejected for MM2H visas simply for having "military or security related employment" in their history or being from a "blue collar" profession. Recent applications from US civil service employees (a doctor and IT applicants) have also been rejected.