PM thanks all sectors for helping Thailand to pass ICAO inspection

webfact

PM thanks all sectors for helping Thailand to pass ICAO inspection

d988c8e3a6786d9dafcb7cc6cb332b7f.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - Thai Prime Minister, Gen. Prayut Chan-o-cha, said he was satisfied with Thailand’s civil aviation standards after it had passed an inspection by the International Civil Aviation Organisation [ICAO]. He said this would benefit the aviation sector and the tourism industry. He thanked all sides for their contributions.

The Deputy Government Spokesman, Lt. Gen. Werachon Sukondhapatipak , said Prime Minister Prayut was satisfied with the result. When an ICAO team audited the Thai aviation industry from May 13 to 22, 2019, Thailand scored 65.07%. The score exceeds the minimum pass threshold of 60%.

"Over the past four years, Thailand’s efficiency has almost doubled since 2015, when the ICAO red-flagged the country’s aviation industry. The country scored 34.30%. Two years later, Thailand was able to remove the red flag and raised the score to 41.46%. This year, Thailand’s score was 65.07%, which is on par with the average score obtained by 193 member nations attached to the ICAO," Lt. Gen. Werachon said.

He said the ICAO prasied Thailand for making tangible progress in addressing aviation issues, and the Prime Minister attributed this achievement to the contribution of all sides. He thanked the ICAO, the Ministry of Transport and the private sector for the success and assured that the standard will be maintained.

"The Prime Minister said that once the new Thailand Air Navigation Act is enforced, the country’s civil aviation standards will further improve. This success will raise people’s confidence in the aviation sector and the tourism industry."

The ICAO audit governs rules and regulations, regulatory mechanism, officer authorization, airside operations, fleet airworthiness, flight services and airport facilities.

nnt_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright nnt 2019-05-30
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, webfact said:

The Deputy Government Spokesman, Lt. Gen. Werachon Sukondhapatipak

I didn't realise we had a deputy government?

How come all the cuties sit at the front? Surely it must detract from he who must be voted for obeyed?

Perhaps he can pen a new ditty along the lines of the lowest hanging fruit is not always the juiciest?

5 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Scraped through an audit and they can't stop patting themselves on the back for what they should have been doing from the beginning, which is the bare minimum required to ensure a modicum of civil aviation safety.

They are only happy because now they can proceed with the Utapao maintenance hub and trouser more money.

Agree mr Stack,  making a virtue of necessity.

Normal, for a well funded government airline is to pass ICAO audit, not to be praised for finally scraping through.

An ICAO Audit is  an exercise in determining the lowest possible standard 'acceptable'.  Any self respecting airport authority would have a much higher set of standards than those required by ICAO.  ICAO has to take into account the large number of sub standard airports in the World.  If it audited them all, to say the UK CAA standards, very few in the developing world would pass.  Worth noting that Hong Kong's old Kai Tak airport never once passed an ICAO audit and was designated a 'Black Airport'. Mind you, it was fun to fly into. 

Ghana obtained a provisional Effective Implementation (EI) rate of 89.89 percent, the highest by an African country, after the International Civil Aviation
Organization (ICAO) concluded its Coordinated Validation Mission (ICVM) on April 3, 2019, in line with the United Nations aviation agency’s Universal Safety Oversight Audit Programme (USOAP).

The rating comes after a nine-day follow-up onsite activity by a four-member team of experts from ICAO to validate corrective measures undertaken by Ghana following a
USOAP audit in November 2006.

Recognizing this landmark achievement by the Republic of Ghana, Minister for Aviation, Hon. Joseph Kofi Adda, stressed the need for the Ghana Civil Aviation Authority (GCAA) to immediately develop an action plan towards the implementation of corrective measures that have been recommended by the ICAO team.

“Ghana’s air transport industry enjoys strong government support, which is a crucial determinant for the aviation sector’s ability to maintain an ICAO compliant regulatory
framework and to achieve accelerated sustainable growth of the sector in the years ahead,” said Hon. Adda.

The Minister further underscored that in line with President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo’s vision of re-positioning Ghana as the sub-region’s Aviation hub, Parliament
recently passed the Ghana Civil Aviation (Amendment) Act, 2019 (Act 985) together with the Legislative Instrument on Aircraft Accident and Serious Incident Regulations,2019
(LI 2375) to ensure enhanced compliance with ICAO’s Standards and Recommended Practices (SARPS).

THAI only got 65.5 while Ghana topped the African countries with 89.89!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Scraped through an audit and they can't stop patting themselves on the back for what they should have been doing from the beginning, which is the bare minimum required to ensure a modicum of civil aviation safety.

They are only happy because now they can proceed with the Utapao maintenance hub and trouser more money.

Their arrogance and incompetence is so deeply embedded in the culture that almost nobody seems to be able to understand the value of self motivated high achievement. 

They are perpetually less than average, and very proud, too

• Thanks 1

There are so many elephants in this particular room being ignored, I will be arrested, tortured, fined, and deported if I even hint at them, and anyone who reads about them will be shot.

You have been warned.

4 hours ago, Pilotman said:

An ICAO Audit is  an exercise in determining the lowest possible standard 'acceptable'.  Any self respecting airport authority would have a much higher set of standards than those required by ICAO.  ICAO has to take into account the large number of sub standard airports in the World.  If it audited them all, to say the UK CAA standards, very few in the developing world would pass.  Worth noting that Hong Kong's old Kai Tak airport never once passed an ICAO audit and was designated a 'Black Airport'. Mind you, it was fun to fly into. 

Yes, especially on the old RAF VC10s! Sitting facing backwards looking out of the window as you flew past some bloke ironing a shirt on the balcony of his high rise flat!

• Haha 1

Just now, JAG said:

Yes, especially on the old RAF VC10s! Sitting facing backwards looking out of the window as you flew past some bloke ironing a shirt on the balcony of his high rise flat!

Remember it well. And the old RAF rule that you couldn't fly an aircraft into Kai Tak until you had flown an aircraft into Kai Tak. Wonderful.  I do miss those days.   

1 minute ago, Pilotman said:

Remember it well. And the old RAF rule that you couldn't fly an aircraft into Kai Tak until you had flown an aircraft into Kai Tak. Wonderful.  I do miss those days.   

I was always amused, (as a simple infantryman), as to why you had the seats facing backwards - I was not convinced that if you hit a mountain at 400mph that it would make much difference!

The view from the drivers cab coming down there must have been exciting!

There was a brilliant recruuiting advert in the Sunday colour supplements in about 1975. Two blokes, sitting in a Westland Scout, feet out of the doors, over Hong Kong Harbour on a lovely sunny day, The caption: "How are you going to work today? ARMY"

It worked for me!  Happy days.

2 minutes ago, JAG said:

I was always amused, (as a simple infantryman), as to why you had the seats facing backwards - I was not convinced that if you hit a mountain at 400mph that it would make much difference!

The view from the drivers cab coming down there must have been exciting!

There was a brilliant recruuiting advert in the Sunday colour supplements in about 1975. Two blokes, sitting in a Westland Scout, feet out of the doors, over Hong Kong Harbour on a lovely sunny day, The caption: "How are you going to work today? ARMY"

It worked for me!  Happy days.

It was deemed safer for a ground emergencies to face backwards, which is true I suppose.  The civilian airlines never went down that route  because it would have been unacceptable to passengers. The Yanks faced forward I think.   

Airports are only a part of the ICAO Audit. Airworthiness concerns cause a complete reorganization of government aviation management. The new CAAT still has significant improvement plans in this area of concern.

What is this about? 

An Olympic gold medal, a seat at the UN? 

No, just scraped in on a aviation safety std than no-one would know about if they had not been below the required grade for many many years.