Going Traveling with Tablet

chiangrai

5 in 1 Type C Hub 4K HDMI Output 2 USB 3.0 Port SD/TF Card Reader USB-C Converter Multi-port Adapter for MacBook Pro Samsung Galaxy S9/S8 Plus Huawei Mate 10/P20 Type C

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/5-in-1-type-c-hub-4k-hdmi-output-2-usb-30-port-sdtf-card-reader-usb-c-converter-multi-port-adapter-for-macbook-pro-samsung-galaxy-s9s8-plus-huawei-mate-10p20-type-c-i268798482-s421013616.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.1.e44b78d7e8lxrV&search=1

You can connect an external charger to the hub. At the same time your tablet will be charged while the hub is connected to it.

I hope this thread isn't dead.

I got the little adapter from shopee.

When I plugged it in and opened the file manager it showed up as USB Drive.

but when I opened the USB Drive it said-failed to enter directory.

I don't know why this.It reads  the flash drives fine.

Fist the good news that it powers up and you can see it as a USB Drive.

regarding the error, my guess is that it is a permission error trying to access a new USB drive. It happens to me also. If I plug in a new USB stick the file manager will ask for permission to access this new drive. Only need to give access once and it should not ask again.

You will need to look at the Android App settings for the App permissions and see if you can give permission for the File Manager to access this USB drive.

Hi Maccra,

I was hoping you would be there.

Yes the notification that comes up when I try to open the

USB Drive on File Manager says "failed to enter directory.

You may not have permission to access this"

So I go to-settings-Apps and Notifications-File Manager-Permissions-and then I'm

stuck.

The page has three choices-Location,

Phone

and Storage.

They are all turned on.

The File Manager I use is actualy called File Manager.

It appears for some reason, your File Manager is not recognising the USB HDD permissions. Normally the File Manager should ask for permission for new USB connections, but that appeared not to happen correctly. Or, if it did ask, maybe you accidentally pressed "deny" permissions without realising it.

You can reset the permissions for the File Manager and try again. To reset the permissions, just turn to "off" the permissions in Android Settings for app permissions for "storage". Reset will not hurt anything, but just note, that when you do this you will lose access to any microSD card which may be installed and your other USB sticks. You will then have to give the microSD card and other USB sticks permission again when you plug them in.

To reset I suggest to do as follows:

-- Unmount and remove any microSD card or other USB sticks.

-- In the Android App permission settings, turn the "storage" permission to "off"

-- Now you should only have "phone" storage on

-- Close the File Manager App completely. Use the "Recent Apps" button on the home screen and press "close all". An alternative you can "restart" the tablet.

-- After "close all" or "restart", then plug in the USB HDD, wait to say 10-12 seconds to allow Android power up the USB HDD

--  Open the File Manager and, hopefully, your File Manager should detect the USB HDD and a pop up should appear to ask for permission to access the USB connection. Choose the "root" of the USB HDD and choose "allow" permissions.

-- If all goes well you should have access to the USB HDD. Then you can install any microSD and plug in the USB sticks and the same process to allow the storage permissions.

In addition, you could download and install a 3rd party File Manager from the Play Store and then go through the process to "allow" permissions for the USB drives. The advantage of this is to have a cross check. If one File Manager works and the other doesn't, then there could be something wrong with the first File Manager or its settings.

I personally have 2 File Managers. They both work slightly different and each has there disadvantages and advantages of how they function and what features they have. And If I have problems with one I can use the other one.

I did what you said first but it didn't work.

So I downloaded ES File Explorer and it recognized the

files and let me open folders but it won't let me play the

files..

Neither the built in player or VLC player will open the files.

If you can copy/move files from the HDD to tablet and back, rename files on the HDD, copy/move files on the HDD from one folder to another folder on the HDD then it sounds like ES File Explorer has correct permissions and is OK. But you said you can navigate and open folders so it sounds Ok anyway.

Otherwise, it could be permissions for VLC Player or the built-in Player. It also needs storage permissions. Can you check them. Maybe reset it

I also use ES File Explorer and VLC player and don't have any issues. At the moment I can only think of permissions problems.

Can you check the format of your HDD. Is it NTFS or ExFat?

If it is NTFS, that could be the problem. I just read on the internet that ES File Explorer let's you browse a NTFS drive but nothing else.

I just did some more reading on the internet and it appears Android does not support NTFS still. So that's probably the issue.

2 solutions I see:

1. Again from the internet, I see that using Total Commander and a Paragon plugin for Android, it allows you then to access NTFS. I have never used or even tried it, so I can not say if it is good or bad or how it works. Sorry, no advice on this.

2. Format your HDD in ExFat, assuming you can copy your files to another location first.

-- copy all files onto your laptop or another HDD

-- on your laptop format HDD with ExFat

-- copy 2 or 3 files/videos to your HDD

-- connect HDD to tablet and try file operations, move/cope/ rename/ create, play videos etc.

-- If all works, unplug and copy all original files back to HDD.

Any Indian etc Customs problems? having a selection of harddrives and or Flash drives with you?

Just thinking so as they are probably not as worldly as you, and might expect to see a laptop alongside them...

attend Immigartion and Customs earlier than normal, just in they want to sit down and go through it all?

so now the HDD is in exFAT?

After the format, Android/ the File Manager would see it as a new USB connection and need permissions. Check the permissions again.

Otherwise I am running out of ideas.

It played a file..............

I have to go through "open with" and then only Google Play Music will play it.

It won't play it on short tap and VLC won't play it even if I go through  'open with"

but it bloody well played it............

I'll mess around with it for a while and see what happens but that was a result.

Thanks for your patient persistence.

Archived