The best pie I have had in CM

bkk6060

1548400591_IMG-20190530-WA00082.thumb.jpeg.788f201b6a212f0dcd8bb63b932de8af.jpegThis place specializes in pie many to choose. I know there are other good pie places in town. But, I like Dutch apple pie warm slightly.

This place does it right for me crunchy topping, not too sweet filing, crust is lite.

In Nimman area.

Pie and Cappuccino 145 b.

15592030778211319395838234183728.jpg

6 minutes ago, Bill97 said:

Same place/owner as on road to Chiang Rai just past Maa Suay?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I was wondering that too. Charin Garden has a mouth-watering assortment - coconut, apple, lemon supreme, blueberry..... the list goes on and on.

I was talking with the owner - the roadworks in the mountains on the 118 have impacted the number of customers coming from Chiang Mai.

There's a cafe in Chiang Rai, just across from the clocktower, on the corner, who do a great pumpkin pie.

As for Chiang Mai, I like the cafe in Nimman with the big tree outside, next to Tom n Toms, who sell a beautiful watermelon cake. 

I found Duke's apple pie (huge slice) and Love at First Bite better for cakes...both at Ping River Wat Ket.

Gluten in cakes seems to turn my mind clarity to mush though these days.. for about 4 hours cannot think straight...aka 'grain brain'????

3 hours ago, AlexRich said:

There's a cafe in Chiang Rai, just across from the clocktower, on the corner, who do a great pumpkin pie.

As for Chiang Mai, I like the cafe in Nimman with the big tree outside, next to Tom n Toms, who sell a beautiful watermelon cake. 

Which corner? If you are referring to Pangkhon Coffee, prices are aimed at tourists. 120 baht for a cake? No thanks.

16 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

That's the one ... don't remember it being that expensive?

It wasn't. They had nice cakes for about 60 baht, then one day changed the cakes to stuff with a lot more cream ( real or otherwise ) and the prices as well. They sit there for days on end unsold.

55 minutes ago, cmsally said:

Sadly , any attempt at apple pie in Thailand is a failure as you simply can't get the right apples.

Oh is that right. I thought Granny Smioth apples weere gvery good in apple pie?  What trype do you prefer then? Jazz no good in pie?

21 hours ago, Lacessit said:

It wasn't. They had nice cakes for about 60 baht, then one day changed the cakes to stuff with a lot more cream ( real or otherwise ) and the prices as well. They sit there for days on end unsold.

Bummer ... I've not been for a few years ... there's also a nice cafe/restaurant round the corner, a Christian Charity one ... I hope that's not changed?

22 hours ago, beau thai said:

Oh is that right. I thought Granny Smioth apples weere gvery good in apple pie?  What trype do you prefer then? Jazz no good in pie?

You would never cook Granny Smiths, they are for eating, it's Bramley apples for the best apple pie.

The coconut pie I once had at the Charoen Resort on #118 about 20km. south of Chiang Rai was the best I ever had (I had taste-buds that worked, back then). For a while Charoen had an outlet in one of the malls (Tesco Kam Tian ?).

If the "Charin: discussed here is the same as "Charoen," I wonder why the name change.

cheers, ~o:37;

If the "Charin: discussed here is the same as "Charoen," I wonder why the name change.

cheers, ~o:37;

No name change. Transliteration into English different spelling, same pronunciation. Bet if you see the names in Thai script they are the same.

New transliteration Charin is an improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

31 minutes ago, chingmai331 said:

Bramley apples may be good but are strictly a UK treat.  Hardly available in USA, the motherhome of apple pie.

Don't be silly.

We were making apple pie while you were still chasing buffaloes with tomahawks.

Plus, if there's no custard it's inedible. ????

Archived