The best pie I have had in CM

bkk6060

On 5/30/2019 at 5:03 PM, AlexRich said:

There's a cafe in Chiang Rai, just across from the clocktower, on the corner, who do a great pumpkin pie.

As for Chiang Mai, I like the cafe in Nimman with the big tree outside, next to Tom n Toms, who sell a beautiful watermelon cake. 

which clocktower? The one by the fresh market?

23 hours ago, PGThompson1 said:

You would never cook Granny Smiths, they are for eating, it's Bramley apples for the best apple pie.

my friend google states 'Granny Smith. One of the most popular tart apples, Granny Smiths are crisp and quite sour. They're a good all-purpose cooking apple, and their flavor is enhanced when paired with sweeter, spicier apples in pies and crisps.'

When I was a kid they were always cooked in pies in our family. Too sour to eat uncooked

I absolutely agree with OP’s assessment of Charin Pie-especially its noteworthy apple pie.

Sometimes a pie filling is superb, but the crust is disappointing.  Not theirs!  The crust is just as delicious as the rest.  

All their pies are consistently good, but I agree-the apple is hands-down best.

IMO, sometimes apple pie just needs a *little* more salt. And sometimes the apples are too mushy. Charon nails both these elements.  I wonder if they use some sort of sea salt, as there are occasional, delicious salt “bursts” that subtly shine through in the crust.  And the apples have just a slight crunchiness.

I’m just making myself hungry now...!

And their coffees are good as well.

To DonDoRondo,

No, no multi accounts here, just another pie lover!

Try out the apple pie at Charin sometime and tell us what you think.

It’s my Saturday morning ritual to order a slice of apple pie and a cappuccino from Charin’s and have it whisked here by FoodPanda.

The slices are not large-I’ll give you that.  And if it’s been refrigerated overnight (yuk!) I let it warm up.  But it’s just lovely, IMO.

They don’t offer cherry pie, unfortunately.  My absolute favourite.

If anybody knows where to find a good slice of cherry, I’d love to know.

And cobbler...peach cobbler...where are you?

Suggestions?

Hang on matey!  May i recommend Gekko Garden and the fabulous Key Lime Pie offered there. And great value at 45 baht, compared to, what, 90 baht at Charin pie shop.

Perhaps other pies are on offer at Gekko but i've only eaten the key lime pie and lovin' it every time, often with a plop of vanilla ice cream. Sure, loads of calories but i can handle 'em with a long bike ride next morning.

I've had many Charin pies, both in town and on the 118 hiway.  Good but outside my budget.

1 hour ago, chingmai331 said:

I've had many Charin pies, both in town and on the 118 hiway.  Good but outside my budget.

Sorry to hear that.

Hopefully, in the future you can find a way to save the 45 b to enjoy a truly great piece of pie.

Chingmai331,

I’ve eaten at Gekko Gardens, but didn’t know they had pies.

When Key Lime pie is good-it’s so VERY good!

I’ve never been a cake/cookie/biscuit person, and I watch my calories, too.  That’s why it’s nice to have a good recommendation before I dig in.

I’m still on the prowl for the elusive cobbler, however.  If I had an oven I’d do it up myself.  Alas...

Anyway, thanks for the head-up on Gekko Gardens!

'Love at first bite' in Wat Ket previously mentioned is decent especially if your priority is quality over quantity. For this bloke carrot cake and rhubarb pie top the list but there's plenty of choice there but it's far from the cheapest option.

5 minutes north on Chareonrat is Woo cafe which has a decent spread of cakes lined up along the bar but it's a bit trendy for this old boy but worth a look if you are in the area. Be aware weekend it's packed out.

Archived