True fiber internet firewall

PhilsterBKK

Hi All,

I have used and enjoyed True's fiber optic service for several years in my home and office flats, BUT the during a trip to France that I took several weeks ago, I could not SSH or VPN into my machines (this worked before when I went to the USA last year).

I was only able to get access by having my son install Teamviewer on his gaming rig, and then I was able to connect to that and once inside True's network I could get onto my office server.  When I got back I poked around the router's admin pages and I noticed that there was a "LOCKED" firewall setting that did not previously exist.  I cannot delete or even view the settings so I must assume that True snuck them in sometime in the past 6 months or so and didn't tell anyone.  This firewall prevents outside computers accessing HTML (Lamp servers) and SSH.

Can anyone give me a suggestion on how to bypass this firewall?  I am willing to buy my own fiber optic router, but I suspect True will not let me connect it to their network...

Thanks,

Philster

Are you sure you are not behind a Carrier Grade NAT?

Easy way to tell, log on to your router and check its WAN IP address. Then use one of the IP mapping services for example http://www.ipaddresslocation.org/ to check what your external IP address is. 

Both the same, no CG-NAT - different addresses, probably a CG-NAT in which case ask True to remove same, they usually do for free.

I recently moved into a new house that already had true fibre installed.

I wanted to set up my Home IP Cameras to view when i was out.. I set up NO IP DDNS and when it still didnt work phoned up True who told me that they turned off the Web IP on that account so they turned it back on and all working fine with port forwarding any port i want and using NO IP as DDNS. No need for TrueDDNS although that maybe faster but i dont think the option is there in the router to pick that one.

Archived