Non o extension under consideration!?

It is not a background check. The division headquarters only reviews the application to see if it meets the requirements and then approve it. Sometimes if they have a question about it or want some missing document they will then contact your local office and they will contact you about it to resolve the problem.

I also was under consideration transferring from a TR to a Non-O (based on retirement). It took just over a month (lots of holidays) plus we had two IO’s pay us a visit at home. Never had that happen before.

My TR expired two days before I received the Non-O. We enquired what I should do and Immigration told don’t worry you won’t be fined for overstay. When they entered the Non-O in my passport it was backdated a few days so it wouldn’t show me as an overstayer.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kralledr said:

Why is that, why you can't get it instantly approved?

2 hours ago, kralledr said:

So basicly they do a background check on you, i have nothing to hide i just wonder why it takes so long

It’s due to fake marriages in order to get visas. Divisional level sign off the application and make random checks that the marriage is registered and still valid.

It doesn’t necessarily take them 30 days, but that’s the maximum immigration are given to process an extension so all offices give themselves the full 30 days.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, elviajero said:

It doesn’t necessarily take them 30 days, but that’s the maximum immigration are given to process an extension so all offices give themselves the full 30 days.

It is a maximum of 30 days from the end of the permit to stay.

Some offices start the 30 days from the end of the current permit to stay. That is standard here in the NE.

4 hours ago, kralledr said:

So basicly they do a background check on you, i have nothing to hide i just wonder why it takes so long

it is actually very quick.

When I first applied 13 years ago it took eight months.

Having to go back every month for eight months.

They quickened things up just after that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JackThompson said:

Note that those waiting for "consideration" for marriage extensions, may have to wait 60-days, and are told they cannot touch the money during that time. 

It's someones choice if they apply 1 month early and create a 60 day period when they shouldn't withdraw the money. And it's sensible not to touch the money during the 'consideration period' in case the application is rejected for some reason and has to be restarted. It has always been the case.

There is nothing stopping an applicant bringing in more than 400K to cover that period. 400K is a MINIMUM.

Choice when you apply, and choice how much money you keep in the bank.

1 hour ago, JackThompson said:

This to spite the rules stating ONLY 60-days seasoning is required, and that condition must be met the day you apply for the extension.  More rule-breaking in action, serving no purpose other than to make life as difficult as possible for us (unless you use an agent).

There is no rule breaking. You just don't understand the rules/system.

Agents again! In some cases at every (probably) office applicants get given the run-around and it (in most cases) has nothing to do with pushing applicants to use agents. The person processing the application will be programmed to package a file in a particular way to ensure the application is accepted by the senior person signing it off. Thais can get exactly the same run around from bureaucrats and administrators when dealing with government agencies.

We read lots of reports from members that were told to go away and get 'another' document etc. and 99.99% (a guess) are not asked for extra money or told to go to an agent!

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, kralledr said:

Can someone just re confirm what documents i need and what pictures that has to be taken ?!

Here is my list of general requirements. Marriage Extension Requirements 2.pdf

The photos required varies from office to office. You need at least two of you and your wife in around the house, one with your family with the house number showing and one of the house from the street.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, JackThompson said:

In other countries - yes, at first.  Then, if you stay awhile, you get PR, etc. 

Here, every year it is as if you just showed up for the first time, and they have no idea if you are honest, law-abiding, etc.  This is true even if you have a decade plus of "in-country vetting" - retired, married to the same Thai wife, etc.

Note that those waiting for "consideration" for marriage extensions, may have to wait 60-days, and are told they cannot touch the money during that time.  This to spite the rules stating ONLY 60-days seasoning is required, and that condition must be met the day you apply for the extension.  More rule-breaking in action, serving no purpose other than to make life as difficult as possible for us (unless you use an agent).

Whilst i do wholly agree with your first statement, I was surprised that my local office didn’t require a second look at my funds before issuing the visa. Once I presented the statement and letter, I was free to do what I wanted.

I hope that the home visit will not be repeated, although the guy was nice enough, I felt violated and slightly angry after mine. I stood there with the passport on my chest like a criminal, then in my bedroom for another round of shots, where he asked why we had clothes racks and no wardrobe for our clothes (??!??)

I was hoping he was going to knock at our next door neighbours, they don’t live there - it’s a safe house for smuggler counterfeit cigarettes coming from Malaysia. That’s an indicator of how f’d up this whole process is.

17 hours ago, elviajero said:

It's someones choice if they apply 1 month early and create a 60 day period when they shouldn't withdraw the money. And it's sensible not to touch the money during the 'consideration period' in case the application is rejected for some reason and has to be restarted. It has always been the case.

It has not always been the case - is another way to punish foreigners who don't use agents, regardless if they have a Thai family to support, and were planning on using that money. 

It started happening this year - notably at CW Bangkok - and w/o a "1 year warning" and official published rule change.  Those reporting were surprised. 

It has nothing to do with when one applies - they sometimes take 2 months "consideration" time.

There is nothing stopping an applicant bringing in more than 400K to cover that period. 400K is a MINIMUM.

400K for 2 months prior to application - not 2 months plus 30 days plus maybe another 30 days when they aren't finished after the first 30.

Choice when you apply, and choice how much money you keep in the bank.

There is no rule breaking. You just don't understand the rules/system.

I understand what they wrote.  You defend whatever they do, even when it directly contradicts the laws and rules. 

Agents again! In some cases at every (probably) office applicants get given the run-around and it (in most cases) has nothing to do with pushing applicants to use agents. The person processing the application will be programmed to package a file in a particular way to ensure the application is accepted by the senior person signing it off. Thais can get exactly the same run around from bureaucrats and administrators when dealing with government agencies.

As before on this - I am not claiming the lowest-tier person makes this stuff up.  But it is a fact that each office makes up its own rules, that those rules are not in accordance with the "official" rules, and that offices take corruption money via agents or direct (aka "grease").

If not for the agent-system, they would have no motivation other than hatred to do these things to us.  I am giving them the benefit of the doubt - assuming it is greed within an entrenched system of corruption, rather than pure hate.

We read lots of reports from members that were told to go away and get 'another' document etc. and 99.99% (a guess) are not asked for extra money or told to go to an agent!

If the extra money is supplied, there are no problems - ever.  If it is not supplied, it depends on whether one fits a targeted-profile.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Here is my list of general requirements. Marriage Extension Requirements 2.pdf

The photos required varies from office to office. You need at least two of you and your wife in around the house, one with your family with the house number showing and one of the house from the street.

Ubonjoe...think you need to amend your list to delete the "income verified by income letter from your Embassy"

Mostly now not available!

21 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It is a maximum of 30 days from the end of the permit to stay.

Some offices start the 30 days from the end of the current permit to stay. That is standard here in the NE.

Both my last extensions at Jomtiem have taken longer than 30 days in fact the last one took an extra week before finally getting the stamp in my PP!

14 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

Ubonjoe...think you need to amend your list to delete the "income verified by income letter from your Embassy"

Mostly now not available!

Those from only 3 countries that cannot get them now. A lot more than those 3 countries can still get them.

I have not bothered to change it to add the monthly income going in to a Thai bank yet.

On 6/2/2019 at 10:01 AM, kralledr said:

I have being doing one for 10 years.

They say 30 days but it usually comes in 2 weeks.

My office give me a number to call after 2 weeks to check it is back from Korat in my case.

• 6 months later...
On 6/2/2019 at 9:44 AM, ubonjoe said:

I assume you are asking about the under consideration period given after applying for a extension of stay based upon marriage to a Thai or the parent of one.

Believe a 90 day Non-O conversion from TR based on retirement will sometimes require a consideration period. 

Edited by cusanus

6 minutes ago, cusanus said:

Believe a 90 day Non-O conversion from TR based on retirement will sometimes require a consideration period. 

The normally do not do a under consideration stamp.

The approval of the application is done within the minimum 15 days (21 at some offices) you must have left on your permit to stay they require when you do the application. They tell you to return in a couple of weeks at most offices.