Mobile phone losing AIS 4g all the time resets needed

Jingthing

OK I guess my phone is somewhat older. The battery isn't what it used to be. Anyway in recent days the phone is dropping 4g all the time. So I need to do resets. Sometimes multiple times. Then its OK if I'm using it but if I put it down for awhile it drops the connection again.

I did a test where I played a long podcast thinking it would keep connected. Nope. Dropped it after about 15 minutes.

My data plan is paid for. Thats not the problem.

Any ideas about why this is happening?

All I can imagine is the device crapping out.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, shady86 said:
1 hour ago, Jingthing said:
I actually meant I've been restarting it not resetting it.  
A hard reset would lose my phone info. Sounds extreme.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

A hard reset would determine if software or hardware is the cause of the problem.

First, switch to 3G and test again.

If that works, is the problem location-sensitive?

Second, as you "recently installed" Line, uninstall it and test again. If that fixes it - problem solved - Line may not be compatible with your "somewhat older" phone - can you quantify that?

If not, and I'm assuming Android and that you're logged into your Google account.

Back it up, make a note of all the apps you have installed, Factory Reset, reinstall apps from the PlayStore, restore backup

Test again.

If it's an iPhone, wait for someone with Apple expertise to chime in but, in principle, a similar procedure applies.

Edited by VBF

What kind of phone is it and is it an international version?  Did you try setting it to 3G only?  I recently had a brand new google phone that would crash on 4G with AIS but would work on 3G.  I had to return the phone to google.

download.jpg

Edited by AAArdvark

1 minute ago, Mambowoman said:

I'm amazed that others can't see that the OP's using a Lenovo.

And I'm ashamed not to have noticed!!!!  :shock1: ????

Well spotted....

10 minutes ago, Mambowoman said:

I'm amazed that others can't see that the OP's using a Lenovo.

Lenovo also makes laptops.  I had to check the model number to see what it was.  And, since his phone was acting up, he could have been using a different phone.  Just would've been easier to state what the phone was.

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

Mine does that when I need a new battery.  Can you take the battery out? 

Wouldn't running it plugged into the charger be worth trying? 

6 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

That's indeed instructive, however before going to that amount of work, and possibly causing damage, I repeat "Wouldn't running it plugged into the charger be worth trying?"

It's possible that the battery calibration reports fully charged, when it's actually not - had that on Android devices and Windows Laptops.

Always try the simple stuff first :whistling:

Update on this. 

I'm not going to do anything extreme like a factory reset unless there are no other options.

A battery option on the phone says the battery is still in good shape so it's probably not that.

Having it plugged in didn't help at all.

Don't know how to switch to trying 3G. It's not rooted.

I don't want to lose Line as I really need it but I might uninstall that later  as a test if I need to.

Is it location specific? Maybe!

The other day I spent several hours at T21 Mall and the 4G didn't drop even one time even after long periods of it being dormant in my pocket.

That's a clue that it is location dependent.

I found another idea. To install the LTE discovery app.

With that I can see where the connection is coming from when location is on.

I can also do manual connection resets perhaps similar to restarting as before.

Not sure yet whether the reset works quicker with the location turned on or not.

I did find that leaving the location on doesn't necessarily stop the 4G from dropping.

The model is Lenovo A7020a48

I guess you could say I can live with the current phone behavior. If it tends to drop the 4G while dormant that's not a big problem until I need to use the phone again and then I can reset.

But I realize it might get worse.

Edited by Jingthing

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

<snip>

Don't know how to switch to trying 3G. It's not rooted.

I don't want to lose Line as I really need it but I might uninstall that later  as a test if I need to.

Is it location specific? Maybe!

The other day I spent several hours at T21 Mall and the 4G didn't drop even one time even after long periods of it being dormant in my pocket.

That's a clue that it is location dependent.

Switching to 3G is in your settings, depending on the version of Android - check that first especially if on an old phone, Android hasn't updated for a while - what version is it?

EG on "Pie" (Android 9) it's Settings > Network & Internet > Mobile Network > Advanced. It will be different on yours so Google for it

As for location, can you go somewhere and spend several hours with the phone NOT in your pocket? All the time it's in your pocket, it's moving about and Android might not "doze" - once again depends on version of Android "Android Doze Mode" (link)

22 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

It's Android Version 6.

Again I see no way to switch to 3G.

Good idea to test at the mall just sitting but if it's going to drop it likely wouldn't take anywhere near several hours.

Do a creative Google search and you'll unearth it....  EG

"Android Version 6 switch to 3G Lenovo A7020a48" (without the quotes) and see the result - That got me to here:

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBD_en-GBGB817GB817&ei=lrT4XIWZMKKcjLsPjYSckAw&q=Android+Version+6+switch+to+3G+Lenovo+A7020a48&oq=Android+Version+6+switch+to+3G+Lenovo+A7020a48&gs_l=psy-ab.12...2580.3644..5303...0.0..0.136.201.1j1......0....1j2..gws-wiz.......0i71j35i302i39.dE0b5fc876Y

Somewhere in that lot you'll find a link or a video that will point you on the way...in this context, "Google is your friend" as they say.

Edited by VBF
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, VBF said:

Do a creative Google search and you'll unearth it....  EG

"Android Version 6 switch to 3G Lenovo A7020a48" (without the quotes) and see the result - That got me to here:

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBD_en-GBGB817GB817&ei=lrT4XIWZMKKcjLsPjYSckAw&q=Android+Version+6+switch+to+3G+Lenovo+A7020a48&oq=Android+Version+6+switch+to+3G+Lenovo+A7020a48&gs_l=psy-ab.12...2580.3644..5303...0.0..0.136.201.1j1......0....1j2..gws-wiz.......0i71j35i302i39.dE0b5fc876Y

Somewhere in that lot you'll find a link or a video that will point you on the way...in this context, "Google is your friend" as they say.

Setting > mobile data > preferred network type > (select the one under LTE)

13 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I can't figure out how to do that. I don't see a menu after choosing LTE.

Above you said "it's already set to LTE"  So however you got to that point is the menu that takes you to the settings, otherwise, how do you know it's already set to LTE?

1 hour ago, VBF said:

Above you said "it's already set to LTE"  So however you got to that point is the menu that takes you to the settings, otherwise, how do you know it's already set to LTE?

OK, got it now.

My choices were

LTE WCDMA GSM AUTO

WCDMA GSM AUTO

WCDMA ONLY

GSM ONLY

So I see that WCDMA is 3g and GSM is 2g.

So I chose WCDMA GSM AUTO

I can then connect and it shows an H+ icon instead of 4G.

Now will see if it loses the connection in the same way as the 4G does

• Like 1

OK.

So far it's not dropping connection with the WCDMA GSM AUTO choice.

Showing the connection as H+ which I assume is advanced 3G but not 4G.

I guess this is good news that I can probably have a stable connection, but what does it mean that this works and not LTE (4G)?

Thanks for the help.

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

OK.

So far it's not dropping connection with the WCDMA GSM AUTO choice.

Showing the connection as H+ which I assume is advanced 3G but not 4G.

I guess this is good news that I can probably have a stable connection, but what does it mean that this works and not LTE (4G)?

Thanks for the help.

It means one of two things.  1 Your phone is broken or 2 your phone is not compatible with the carrier's LTE.  This is the same issue that I had with a brand new Google phone.  It is difficult to find out if your phone is actually compatibly or not.  It IS NOT simply checking if your phone supports the bands that the carrier uses.  They use a feature called Carrier Aggregation which combines 2 or more bands to get the highest possible data speeds.  With the phone set the way it is now, you should get reliable but much slower data rates.

The best way to handle this is to go to the carrier and buy a new mid-range phone that they will guarantee is compatible.  You can also try to go to another carrier and ask to try one of their sims with LTE.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

It means one of two things.  1 Your phone is broken or 2 your phone is not compatible with the carrier's LTE.  This is the same issue that I had with a brand new Google phone.  It is difficult to find out if your phone is actually compatibly or not.  It IS NOT simply checking if your phone supports the bands that the carrier uses.  They use a feature called Carrier Aggregation which combines 2 or more bands to get the highest possible data speeds.  With the phone set the way it is now, you should get reliable but much slower data rates.

The best way to handle this is to go to the carrier and buy a new mid-range phone that they will guarantee is compatible.  You can also try to go to another carrier and ask to try one of their sims with LTE.

Agree with @AAArdvark and also have you got a local friend with a newer phone on a different supplier?

Would it be possible to try their SIM in your phone for a couple of hours and vice versa? Conclusively prove whether the phone is actually capable of modern 4G and/or whether the coverage in your area is patchy. 

Depending on how old your"older phone" is and If it's no longer getting updates from Android 6 it might be time to treat yourself. ????

• Like 1