Bar owners and Staff

baansgr

I would imagine they get paid serving drinks. Depends on what kind of bar you were in. 

Personally suits me fine if they keep their connection 4 away from me and their cheesy chat up lines. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, robblok said:

Maybe offering them a lady drink would make them happy and give you some attention. That is how they make money.

There's usually a non-alcoholic substance in such a lady drink. Just to make more money. They make their money when you pay for them for short, or longtime. 

• Like 2

How do you get 150-300% mark up by selling beer at 45-50 baht? When cost is 37-46 baht 

they arr in their phones either lining up customers or playing virgin marry with a buffalo .

ohh and their wage is 3000-4000 baht per month with free room

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Maybe offering them a lady drink would make them happy and give you some attention. That is how they make money.

That's another issue also. Lady drinks used to be maybe 30 baht more which the girl would get....now at least 60 baht more and the bar takes half of that. I think the protocol is they speak to punters, they wait or ask for a drink....i dont wont to have to disturb their facebooking and ask if i may have the pleasure of buying her a drink. Its a serious question...what are they there for

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Wow. What a negative way to think. None of them actually think like that, and those who do don't remain at the bar for long. In reality most of them are either alcoholics or addicted to the party lifestyle, and they get to do exactly that - drink and party and get paid for it.

You're right, not fair to put them all in the same box.

Edited by 55Jay
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Small Leo, 30 Baht from suppliers, prices 70-95 Baht in bars

Which bar stool you get your knowledge from ? There is no “suppliers” there is no “wholesale “ often prices in 7-11 are cheaper than the “suppliers”

bars  in jomtien do not charge 70-95 but 45-50 happy hour 

• Confused 2

7 hours ago, 55Jay said:

Take your buddy up and over the mountain out to the Dark Side.  Haven't done the rounds in a few years, but there are, or were, some fun little bars out there. 

Long since gone sadly.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Wow. What a negative way to think. None of them actually think like that, and those who do don't remain at the bar for long. In reality most of them are either alcoholics or addicted to the party lifestyle, and they get to do exactly that - drink and party and get paid for it.

Yes indeed, considering them alcoholics doing bar work to fuel their party habits is certainly a far more positive outlook.

Her lady drink is half full. 

Edited by metempsychotic

9 hours ago, robblok said:

That is fine...IF they take the initiative and put their phones down and come over for a chat/greeting in the first instance....too many girls today in the bars glued to their phones,I walk by until I see a bar with a few smiling faces looking to welcome patrons :thumbsup:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

And then others moan that they want to be left alone and can't stand it when bar girls are all over them as they set foot in the place.

Rarely happens today.......:whistling:

I believe nowadays they are too well fed.  Back in the day they were on you like flies.  Take a girl out and others would be begging to come too.  Nowadays I dont think they have that same drive to take care of their family.  I also think with high lady drink prices today they seem to me to prefer to stay in the bar and squeeze drinks from customers.  Many have farang bf who send them money as well.  I still like to cruise bars from time to time....nostalgia I guess??  but thats the feedback I get.

And yes, I am not the young hansum man I was so that may muddy the data a touch.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, ThaiFelix said:

Back in the day they were on you like flies.  Take a girl out and others would be begging to come too.  Nowadays I dont think they have that same drive to take care of their family.

They're still like that in Phnom Penh.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, baansgr said:

Rarely visit bars but a friend is here in Jomtien and we went for a few drinks.

I really would like a bar owner to explain to me the job description of girls that work in their bars.

Before they would welcome you, some idle chit chat, play a game and generally make you feel welcome.

Now, not so much as a hello, sit there looking at their phones and thats it....what do they get paid for....is it any wonder that almost every bar is empty...

Seriously its comicle, and these places have like 150-300% mark ups on drinks if not more.

"Now, not so much as a hello, sit there looking at their phones and that's it". 

Is that any different to another occupation in Thailand and some other countries. Customer service has gone to the dogs thanks to the ubiquitous and invasive mobile phone. 

• Like 1

Did you visit the bar on the 30th or on the 3rd?

That makes a big difference because on the 30th they know they have to pay their rent.

On the 3rd they probably received their salary already and now, with maybe a few thousand THB in their pocket, their motivation is limited.

Apart from that in my experience you find all kinds of bars and all kinds of customers. From very active to no interest. But if you really fancy one tequila is your friend.

And if you don't want to spend money on them then they have anyhow no reason to join you.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Did you visit the bar on the 30th or on the 3rd?

That makes a big difference because on the 30th they know they have to pay their rent.

On the 3rd they probably received their salary already and now, with maybe a few thousand THB in their pocket, their motivation is limited.

Same with students, they all needed to pay their course fees last month, if you missed it, too late now.