China's Huawei fights consumer fears at Thai smartphone expo

snoop1130

Guest Jerry787

i am trading of my iphone for a huawei, nor because better of worst, but to give support again US  monopoly of trade.

1 hour ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

No smoke without fire.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/huaweis-yearslong-rise-is-littered-with-accusations-of-theft-and-dubious-ethics-11558756858

Plenty of concrete evidence and witness testimonies that Huawei have been stealing IP for years.

Plenty of lawsuits against Apple and Samsung as well for stealing/borrowing IP, but Trump doesn't block Samsung or take action against Apple, since this is merely about the trade war.

I'm not sure if you are aware, but last year the Chinese government blocked the 30billion dollar takeover of NXP by Qualcomm, which would have resulted that the US got a lot more IP in automotive and nfc related patents. The ban of Huawei is one of the counter strikes. True, Huawei might not be clean, but that is not the real reason of blocking them. 

Wow, where to start. Well lets start here: Huawei is 99% owned by it's employees. It started with three employees and 4K GBP equivalent. Some state investment eh?

https://www.ft.com/content/469bde20-9eaf-11e3-8663-00144feab7de

So lets have a look at the 'slave labour' shall we?

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2019/may/21/inside-huawei-a-photo-essay?fbclid=IwAR3vktOrgnapkdGeTA9gdqMTWaMGgRyznMuEwhz62Atu4WmnYAYHU99KFHQ

Note the journalist says (if you bother to read it before you spit your apple pie out) that his visit didn't seem to be scripted, he was just asked not to photograph the visiting clients.

Take a look at the R&D set-up. Stealing technology? They're streets ahead of any other comms company in the world. As for the nonsense about everything going back to Beijing, what have you got that they could possibly be interested in? Their own dust?

Huawei say that their own OS will be available in October. They would always have been ready for this eventuality, it's just the Chinese way. I very much doubt that it will fall short of the OS they use now, which in fact is open source so that wasn't stolen either. It would be commercial suicide to release a half cooked OS into the market share they have now and that's not the Chinese way either.

The bottom line is, America is terrified of China 2025 and the assertion that China will be the worlds top tech country in six years time. They can rock the boat all they like but it will happen. Thanks for training all those engineers. Appreciate it.

By the way Wanzhou Meng is the CFO not the CEO.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, tlandtday said:

Huawei is a state run enterprise likely filled with filthy rich communist party members... I am sure there are many hard working families here but that doesn't negate the fact Chinese companies are govt subsidized or owned and steal and copy us and other patents.  In short they cheat.  Time to pay the piper.

Go on, then, explain how "Huawei is a state run enterprise" and then explain how "Huawei cheated, stole and copied US patents.

20 hours ago, Cheops said:

Why? The current Huawei phones will keep working and updated. You wrote "Thais tell you", but that's wrong. Huawei guarantees that the current models will keep working and updated. 

Fingerprint sensor on Samsung phones are terrible? What model? I have a Samsung J7 Pro and the fingerprint sensor works good and fast. Regardless of that, my next phone will be a Huawei P30 Pro, since that is the best all round phone at this moment. Last Saturday on the mobile phone expo I bought a Huawei Nova 3i for my son. 

For all the people that say that Huawei copies technology: Huawei is lightyears ahead of the iPhone and slightly ahead of the Samsung's flagship phones. Huawei also uses their own cpu in most of their phones. 

The ONLY reason why Huawei is banned is because of Trump's silly trade war.

the best all round phone" at this moment."

Thats the relevant bit,but it won’t be once the restricted Google facilites ,especially the delayed security updates pertaining to only open source,will leave them vulnerable and that known vulnerability will make them targets. No more google play to download apps either. Professional  Analysis suggests that Huawei will be virtually unsellable outside China. 

• Like 1

On 6/3/2019 at 10:53 PM, 4675636b596f75 said:

Your math is wrong.

If they had an eighty percent off sale, that would be more like a 140 percent sale here in Thailand.  Phones are higher than MSRP.  Why is that?  Why is everything in this country, LIST price?

I've been frustrated by this for years in Thailand. I suspect one reason is simply that many Thais are poor business people. Sort of like how so many accommodation owners prefer to leave a property unrented (waiting for a higher rent price) rather than reduce the price to make more money. 

• Like 1

People Republic of USA: regulated market, government subsidized companies, banned products from other countries,  spying on citizens, worship their leader, constant fight against outside enemy, brainwashed proletariat, cant travel to certain countries etc. Who is communist state now?

The issue is not really Huawei, it's the Chinese government and laws. Every Chinese company must cooperate with China's security and spy agencies, by law. If China's spy agencies say hire Mr. X and Miss Y in country Z into position W, then Huawei will do it. A Chinese spy, who was a Huawei employee got caught in Poland, a few months ago. 

Edited by Banana7
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

The issue is not really Huawei, it's the Chinese government and laws. Every Chinese company must cooperate with China's security and spy agencies, by law. If China's spy agencies say hire Mr. X and Miss Y in country Z into position W, then Huawei will do it. A Chinese spy, who was a Huawei employee got caught in Poland, a few months ago. 

China busted the CIA a few years ago. It works both ways of course, In fact everybody is at it and that's well known. Which would lead you to believe that the Huawei thing is about commercial and technical superiority and not about spying at all. 

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/may/20/china-dismantled-cia-spying-operations-new-york-times

On 6/3/2019 at 11:11 PM, bkkatl said:

America has many of the same domestic policy decisions. Government subsidcies are common in America, currency manipulation happens, spying on its own citizens, an out of control poverty and drug problem, gun violence at record highs, government supported student loans that students can't repay and the government doesn't care. And we've admitted to cheating . The point isn't to be anti-American but to recognize America is hardly of innocent of some of the same things it accuses China of doing. I dont like many of the actions of my government. I'm proud of my American citizenship but I don't have to defend American policy when I don't agree. That's the beauty of being part of a country that encourages debate and cites free speech as a fundamental right. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.telesurenglish.net/news/We-Lied-Cheated-and-Stole-Pompeo-Comes-Clean-About-CIA-20190424-0033.html&ved=2ahUKEwj5vLSX2s3iAhVe63MBHZzuBDUQFjABegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw3vCdrFf9mJg6uY9Jo5cf4A

you do realize other western countries are not dealing with huawei anymore either and have blocked them from participating in their countries infrastructure, its not just the US. I am sure you find nothing wrong with the way china are forcing countries/regions to accept what they are doing but fortunately western countries are not falling at their feet, they know that all big chinese businesses are in part controlled by their govt. You have a big bitch about the US but you are simply ignoring the truth about china and your bias is showing in doing so, maybe look at all the details instead of just cherry picking those that suit your bias

• Like 1

On 6/3/2019 at 3:23 PM, snoop1130 said:

Potential customer Kiathanaphat Boriboon, who came to the expo to buy Huawei’s P30 Pro smartphone, said he had confidence in the world’s second-largest smartphone maker.

“Personally I think Huawei will find solutions for their users. They will not leave the users with problems,” he said

Dream on. 

On 6/5/2019 at 8:29 AM, nchuckle said:

the best all round phone" at this moment."

Thats the relevant bit,but it won’t be once the restricted Google facilites ,especially the delayed security updates pertaining to only open source,will leave them vulnerable and that known vulnerability will make them targets. No more google play to download apps either. Professional  Analysis suggests that Huawei will be virtually unsellable outside China. 

The Google ban is for new models only and also Huawei guarantees updates, so it will not affect the P30 Pro. But in case it will, you can always root the phone and load a stock Android rom.

Besides this, all those Android updates are not always good! The update after Kitkat f..cked up my Samsung S4. The gps did not work anymore! Google acknowledged the problem (since it was a Google issue and not Samsung), but did not do anything to fix it. I had to rollback to Kitkat to make the gps work again.

On 6/3/2019 at 10:47 PM, bkkatl said:

Right... America isn't guilty of any of those things. I'm not denying the corruptness of China or any government. But America has proven corrupt and crony driven for a century. The military industrial complex for one example. So while China is far from an ideal paradise neither is America. So pardon me for wanting open trade and ending useless embargos, deadly wars, secret regime overthrows, endless money printing, and not generally buying everything American politicans are selling while they get filthy rich doing nothing in Congress year after year while amassing trillions of dollars in debt. 

Apples and Oranges.

6 hours ago, johng said:

How do you do that with a locked bootloader ?

I rooted phones before and mostly it's not really difficult (unless you are the 1st person trying to root a 0-day phone ????
Although it's not illegal to root your phone, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post this, but Google is your friend.
Steps to Root Huawei P30 Pro:
  1. Step 1: Download Framaroot app. ...
  2. Step 3: Click on Install Superuser option.
  3. Step 4: Then click on Gandalf option.
  4. Step 5: Click on OK and reboot your Huaweidevice.
  5. Note: To confirm whether your Huawei Huawei P30 Pro is successfully rootedor not, use Root Checker app from Google Play Store.

9 hours ago, Cheops said:

Steps to Root Huawei P30 Pro:

Yes thanks for that....but

Pre-Requisites:

• In order to avoid interruption, charge your mobile at least 50%.
  • Unlock bootloader of Android phone before moving ahead.

Till last year, Huawei used to provide bootloader unlock code from their official EMUI website.

You need to unlock the bootloader before you can root...and since Huawei  will no longer provide bootloader unlock codes...unlocking is  (from my experience trying to root other phones) a  bit of a task,  you need the USB drivers and ADB setup working correctly and also use some "dubious"  software to actually tease the unlock code from the phone...????  or pay money to equally "dubious"  unknown persons on the internet for the unlock code.

I think its a very sad decision Huawei made to stop providing unlock codes...the  online developer community  do a really good job of ironing out bugs and trying new features  with "unofficial" ROM's

that the official developers just don't have the time,resources or will to do..with locked bootloader all that free development  is stifled.

Also you buy the phone its yours..you should be able to do whatever you want with it...that means you need root...or a brick  well "up to you" ????

• Like 1

3 hours ago, johng said:

You need to unlock the bootloader before you can root...and since Huawei  will no longer provide bootloader unlock codes...unlocking is  (from my experience trying to root other phones) a  bit of a task,  you need the USB drivers and ADB setup working correctly and also use some "dubious"  software to actually tease the unlock code from the phone...????  or pay money to equally "dubious"  unknown persons on the internet for the unlock code.

I think its a very sad decision Huawei made to stop providing unlock codes...the  online developer community  do a really good job of ironing out bugs and trying new features  with "unofficial" ROM's

that the official developers just don't have the time,resources or will to do..with locked bootloader all that free development  is stifled.

Also you buy the phone its yours..you should be able to do whatever you want with it...that means you need root...or a brick  well "up to you" ????

Maybe Huawei will start to provide unlock codes again once they will starting to face problems with Google for existing models. Most Samsung phones don't need any unlock codes. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, wisperone said:

Stay away from Huawei phones....they are spying on users. Tool of the Chinese govt to cheat and control. Much better/safer options out there.

Yeah, nsa, Google,  Apple and Samsung don't spy on you 555

Are you afraid that the Chinese government knows what you had for lunch?

As I stated before: if you want to keep your info private you should not put that info on ANY electronic device. Quite simple really. 

4 hours ago, johng said:

They wanted the phones locked to their software no doubt so they could hack and steal data at will. Much more difficult when users are using custom rom software. 

21 hours ago, Oliver Holzerfilled said:

Apples and oranges.  Which USA technology company collaborated with the CIA to set up the spy network?  Also noteworthy that the China apologists by necessity must rely on Western media for their information.  How are those FOI requests working out with the Chinese government?

All of them, did they go in with cocoa tins and string? Should have taken Huawei's if they're such efficient spying tools hey? Maybe they wouldn't have got busted then, like rank amateurs.

If I'd quoted a Chinese media source can I guess what your reaction would be? I could, many of them.

'China apologist,' well, well, what's one of those then? I don't remember saying sorry.

No need for FOI, the Chinese bush telegraph is rapid, accurate and very fruitful. Don't believe the hype.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

Well how different is US? Government says "you can't do business with xyz" and not just US but all companies Worldwide have to follow. And in US it's not even government decision but just one person in the White house who ordered it. Often against wishes of his own party, senate and congress.

Ohh, I know the answer! (raising hand wildly

One MAJOR difference is that the US makes such decisions subject to LAWS that courts mostly enforce FAIRLY. 

Huawei is challenging the ruling already. 

Try that in China as a foreign entity... 

Edited by Fex Bluse
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

They wanted the phones locked to their software no doubt so they could hack and steal data at will. Much more difficult when users are using custom rom software. 

Err........it's not their software.

It's Android. Open source.......

• Thanks 1

Just now, Traubert said:

Err........it's not their software.

It's Android. Open source.......

I think you either don't understand my answer or don't understand how phones ROMs work. Either way, it's ok. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

Ohh, I know the answer! (raising hand wildly) 

One MAJOR difference is that the US makes such decisions subject to LAWS that courts mostly enforce FAIRLY. 

Huawei is challenging the ruling already. 

Try that in China as a foreign entity... 

They did, they won.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2017/08/23/new-balance-wins-landmark-china-trademark-case/j7NoqGoz2seIUs8vrJ42qL/story.html

That's just one example.

10 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

I think you either don't understand my answer or don't understand how phones ROMs work. Either way, it's ok. 

Ok, flash a custom ROM. What are you going to replace Android with?

They use American chips anyway. What will you achieve?

Windows,Nokia's old system ?? ,Linux/Unix..if Android custom ROM then you'll
(the developer) know whats included have a choice what to include or exclude and can remove any spyware found.

22 hours ago, Traubert said:

They use American chips anyway. What will you achieve?

google-is-fighting-against-huaweis-blacklist-ban

Maybe Android wil not be replaced. Let's see. 

What American chips would that be? Lays? Or do you mean IC's?

Most Huawei phones run on their own silicon, the Kirin cpu (soc actually), which is far ahead in technology made in the 7nm process. Something which not many companies can pull off. Even the mighty Intel not!