China's Huawei fights consumer fears at Thai smartphone expo

snoop1130

Huawei is a state run enterprise likely filled with filthy rich communist party members... I am sure there are many hard working families here but that doesn't negate the fact Chinese companies are govt subsidized or owned and steal and copy us and other patents.  In short they cheat.  Time to pay the piper.

Huawei started with a USD10bn ‘loan’ from the State. So, the fact that they are trying to convince everyone there is no tie or obligation is laughable. I worked in the industry for 20 years, throughout Asia, and I know people who work there in Sales who can get a hold of any competitor proposal during an infrastructure tender so they know the price to beat.....Trump is rightly concerned on this one

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/7/2019 at 1:56 PM, tomazbodner said:

Huawei has several times published the source code which was vetted by countless governments and funny enough, nothing of any concern can be found in any of it. Huawei has simply come out with technology that has left western companies far behind in 5G race, and US can't allow Chinese to beat them to the game. Google Trump's video where he says it is essential to win 5G war and they will win it. Being years behind Huawei, the only thing possible to "level" the field is to undermine and destroy the competitor.

But this isn't so much about the phones themselves. It is about the cellular towers and the rest of networking equipment. When it comes to phones, having Huawei, Oppo and Apple on the desk - I can say that Apple is far behind the other 2 in photography, performance, Wifi/cellular speed and sound clarity, while iPhone is ahead in facial recognition and lack of ads, some of the apps out of the box, sometimes more reliable pairing, and far longer OS updates support period.

The Huawei P30 Pro is an awesome zoom camera which takes better photos than Canon EOS 70D with USM prime lens, especially at night. That's remarkable. So even if I get no more updates on software (and honestly - other companies give you maybe 1 OS update before scrapping the support for the phone anyway), it will remain an amazing pocket camera for as long as it lasts. Don't regret it at all.

BTW the P30 pro cameras are from Sony and the lenses were designed with Leica, still no less amazing.

As for base stations and back-haul equipment, that is precisely where the spying issue lies, not the phones, phones are for Google and Facebook spying, kids stuff.  You realize that Huawei base stations and infrastructure could spy on every phone in the US regardless of brand, not just Huawei phones. Do they all spy? Yes, it is part and parcel of the business. But with China's track record of US espionage, spying is a natural concern. I'm sure Beijing is wary of  US spying too but China is not a very free and open society, it's harder to do. 

6 hours ago, Cheops said:

google-is-fighting-against-huaweis-blacklist-ban

Maybe Android wil not be replaced. Let's see. 

What American chips would that be? Lays? Or do you mean IC's?

Most Hawaii phones run on their own silicon, the Kirin cpu (soc actually), which is far ahead in technology made in the 7nm process. Something which not many companies can pull off. Even the mighty Intel not!

Kirin chips are manufactured by TSMC in Taiwan, same as AMD 7nm Vega GPUs. Its' available to anyone. Apple was the first to release their A12 chip in 7nm before Huawei.  The Kirin uses an ARM design licensed from the British. If I'm not wrong Qualcomm also has 7nm chips. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rabas said:

Kirin chips are manufactured by TSMC in Taiwan, same as AMD 7nm Vega GPUs. Its' available to anyone. Apple was the first to release their A12 chip in 7nm before Huawei.  The Kirin uses an ARM design licensed from the British. If I'm not wrong Qualcomm also has 7nm chips. 

Thanks for correcting. After checking I read: "Although Huawei announced its own 7 nm processor before the Apple A12 Bionic, the Kirin 980 on August 31, 2018, the Apple A12 Bionic was released for public, mass market use to consumers before the Kirin 980."

I know TSMC is working on 3nm now. As an engineer working in the Semiconductor industry this is interesting. Last year I  visited a waferfab neighboring the TSMC fab (Vanguard) in Hsinchu and I'm currently working on a project with them. One of my Thai colleagues was a former TSMC process engineer (doctoral level) and we also use TSMC for some of our products. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Cheops said:

Thanks for correcting. After checking I read: "Although Huawei announced its own 7 nm processor before the Apple A12 Bionic, the Kirin 980 on August 31, 2018, the Apple A12 Bionic was released for public, mass market use to consumers before the Kirin 980."

I know TSMC is working on 3nm now. As an engineer working in the Semiconductor industry this is interesting. Last year I  visited a waferfab neighboring the TSMC fab (Vanguard) in Hsinchu and I'm currently working on a project with them. One of my Thai colleagues was a former TSMC process engineer (doctoral level) and we also use TSMC for some of our products. 

I was too, long ago I was on the team that built the first 32 bit microprocessor called the BellMac32. Nowdays IC fabrication is the most complex thing on the planet, which is why more and more companies rely on foundries like TSMC. Fascinating area. It does not mean Huawei is not advanced, just that technology is all spread around unlike 10-20 years ago.

• Like 1

This entire shitstorm is because the company is connected to the BigC Party?

That is not going to change so goodbye to Huewaay - maybe they can get a better name and come back as a real company.

Doubt that though as Chinese authorities think it is their right to bug, snoop and manipulate any tech, in any way they want.

Their phones did look good though.

• Like 1