The New Jomtien

Rich the Robin

5 hours ago, johng said:

There is a promenade  (almost) all the way along Jomtien beach...many people use it to jog,walk,cycle,roller skate, skateboard or just sit and have a pic-knick..there is no dedicated cycle lane.

That'll do ????

On 6/3/2019 at 9:38 PM, Rich the Robin said:

Any hotel suggestions to base myself out of?  Never been that side of Thailand before - is that connecting flight from BK, taxi ride ?

Comfortable airport bus from Stinky airport takes you to Hua hin. The bus booth is next to the Pattaya booth, Groung floor airport.

Unless you enjoy having to apply for a visa extension every year, 90 day reporting, and TM forms to document all your movements in Thailand, I would look for a less restrictive environment to live in.  Westerners have been leaving Thailand, due to immigrations latest financial requirements of depositing 800,000 baht in a Thai bank to qualify for a one year retirement visa.   Thailand is no longer a top retirement choice for westerners.  In fact, Thailand is slowly slipping to last place for a retirement destination for westerns.  The Chinese don't notice the restrictive requirements because they are used to be under close government supervision.  Choose wisely my friend. [emoji20]   

Some forum members might remember me. I used to live in Thailand for over 8 years and now since 4 years in the Philippines. Standard of living is a bit lower but now getting better and better. What is more important that you feel welcomed here. No hassle from the imigration, very friendly english speaking people and some beautful islands to choose from. And nice ladies too, in case of....[emoji16] Gesendet von meinem SM-N950F mit Tapatalk

May I suggest Naklua? , it's in North Pattaya Banglamung. some very nice condos along a cleaner beach than Pattaya. Wongamat and Naklua beach.

10 minutes with a bike to Terminal 21 shopping mall and the night life scene.

hqdefault.jpg

naklua-beach-pattaya.jpg

6 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Trying to find something decent in Jomtien.

These early Sois just a cesspool of filth and stench.

A fly/rat infested slum I almost vomited walking through it.

15609265722061518115053477046436.jpg

Hey i know some sois in Pattaya that can use a lick of paint  and some hot water with detergent too..oh well never mind.

8 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Hey i know some sois in Pattaya that can use a lick of paint  and some hot water with detergent too..oh well never mind.

Wow. It is an overall standard of living issue. If you think all it needs is some paint... What about the garbage, smell, rats, flies, filth...

If you are ok with all that then I guess you are.

I got to go home and take a shower after visiting this place thanks.

14 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Wow. It is an overall standard of living issue. If you think all it needs is some paint... What about the garbage, smell, rats, flies, filth...

If you are ok with all that then I guess you are.

I got to go home and take a shower after visiting this place thanks.

Hot water with detergent and a brush and some new paint will improve lots of Sois in Thailand.

Rats, Smelly trash and flies etc Also these problems Pattaya Jomtien same same. Only in Pattaya more human rats ????

On 6/12/2019 at 11:12 AM, CatCage said:

Used to live in Jomtiien back in 2002 to 6 at View Tallay Villas but got too noisy from Rhompo Road bars so moved out to the sticks 

I haven't heard any recent updates, but the Rhompo market area was scheduled to be razed (soon?  this year?) but it was unclear what would replace them.

On 6/14/2019 at 3:22 AM, Swedenlars said:

Some forum members might remember me. I used to live in Thailand for over 8 years and now since 4 years in the Philippines. Standard of living is a bit lower but now getting better and better. What is more important that you feel welcomed here. No hassle from the imigration, very friendly english speaking people and some beautful islands to choose from. And nice ladies too, in case of....emoji16.png Gesendet von meinem SM-N950F mit Tapatalk

I lived on the Philippines for some years too. Until I realized from newspaper stories that every girl can blame you that you raped her. What will follow is life in prison or the death sentence. When I read that the Supreme Court said as long as the story of the victim makes sense then evidence doesn't count I took the next plane out of the country and never came back again. 

• Like 1

I lived on the Philippines for some years too. Until I realized from newspaper stories that every girl can blame you that you raped her. What will follow is life in prison or the death sentence. When I read that the Supreme Court said as long as the story of the victim makes sense then evidence doesn't count I took the next plane out of the country and never came back again. 
You seem to be a very naive person and I think you should not live in Asia at all. The Philippines and Thailand are not the U.S.A. So you left the Philippines because an article in a newspaper ?? You really don't have a clue how about life in the Philippines. But never mind. BTW, talking about rape. The only case I know was american soldiers who brutally gang raped a girl in Angeles City. They didn't get death penalty nor life sentences. Uncle Sam intervened and they were sent back to the US. What you read in the newspaper are filipino fairy stories. The law might be there. Along with hundreds and thousends of other laws. Same in Thailand.

Gesendet von meinem SM-N950F mit Tapatalk

16 hours ago, Swedenlars said:

You seem to be a very naive person and I think you should not live in Asia at all. The Philippines and Thailand are not the U.S.A. So you left the Philippines because an article in a newspaper ?? You really don't have a clue how about life in the Philippines. But never mind. BTW, talking about rape. The only case I know was american soldiers who brutally gang raped a girl in Angeles City. They didn't get death penalty nor life sentences. Uncle Sam intervened and they were sent back to the US. What you read in the newspaper are filipino fairy stories. The law might be there. Along with hundreds and thousends of other laws. Same in Thailand.

Gesendet von meinem SM-N950F mit Tapatalk

I have been living there for almost 4 years and have read the newspapers almost every day. And there I could find endless reports of rape cases where the accused almost never had a chance. This rape game is often used to punish somebody. It might just be the boss that fired an employee. Or they simply use this rape game to get money. It is naive to live on the Philippines and not to know this. I never was worried about anything like this in Thailand and have been living here for more than two decades.

The Philippines have nice beaches, great nature, earthquakes (I experienced one myself), volcanoes (that can be a problem too), awful Jeepneys, good doctors, questionable food and whatever. But it is a very different place than Thailand in many respects. 

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 2:06 AM, Rich the Robin said:

50 years old - like going out some time - like staying in. Will almost certainly be single by the time the move happens (but wont be treating it as any excuse to act like a 21 yo) Good food, walks on the beach, sun on your back etc

Better beaches on the islands, or Krabi.

NB NOT Phuket.

Hua Hin isn't an option though- the beach disappears at high tide in front of the city due to illegal encroachment, and it's covered in horse poo anyway. Cha Am- never been , so don't know.

If I had the money, I'd be staying south end of Chaweng, on the best beach I ever saw. I loved walking on it in the morning before it got too hot, way back in the 90s when I went there all the time. I like Phangan better, but not so good for shopping, services etc.

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 12:33 PM, balo said:

May I suggest Naklua? , it's in North Pattaya Banglamung. some very nice condos along a cleaner beach than Pattaya. Wongamat and Naklua beach.

10 minutes with a bike to Terminal 21 shopping mall and the night life scene.

hqdefault.jpg

naklua-beach-pattaya.jpg

He likes walking on the beach, not having to avoid people or being hassled by vendors.

Having said that, I liked the beach in your lower photo, but only to sit in a deck chair and look at the sea. The top beach I only went to eat in the restaurant- didn't like the beach at all.

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 10:54 PM, Captain 776 said:

I lived in Jomtien from 2005-2014.........they never stop building.......its crazzzzy.

15 yrs ago there was no 7-11 on Soi Watboon.

Now you have 2 7-11’s and a Tesco within 50 meters of each other and I think now......there is a 3rd.

I definitely advise against living in Pattaya.

Best think I did......was leave that area and move to small village 30 mins outside Chiang Mai.

If you are coming here for girls n night life......then live in Jomtien and u can be in Pattaya in 10 mins when the urge rises.......so to speak.

If u want a nice quiet life without all that goes with that area.......then consider Chiang Mai.

It is night n day difference to living in Sexpat Central.

I lived in Pattaya and C M. The biggest difference is that there is no comparison of night life. Pattaya has some, C M has a joke nightlife. The bars on Loi Kroh are rubbish, and the traffic is as bad as Pattaya.

If I had to live in a dirty broken place with too much traffic, I'd choose Pattaya as it actually has a night life to enjoy.

For a more pleasant environment, nothing in Thailand beats the beaches on the southern islands, though Phayao has a nice lake with a walkway, parks and a small but thriving city, and is well placed to enjoy the hills and forest.

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 8:21 PM, beautifulthailand99 said:

One word sadly - and I love Chiang Mai = smoke. Spent 2 weeks scoping the place in 2012 during the burn season and developed a hacking cough. So off the list it went I'm afraid. 

I spent the entire burning season cooped up in my room except going out for food.

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 3:12 PM, Sandy Freckle said:

Yes that makes good sense, thanks KittenKong. I like to get out and about..., walking or hire a bicycle - Is it possible to ride fairly safely along the beach..., is there a bike path or promenade ? Or is someone gonna tell me I'm dreaming ?
I prefer smaller boutique hotels, and also prefer to be away from large noisy groups of package tourists from large norther countries(catch my drift). Ive been checking out older TV posts from about 4 pages back..., all good info back there. Important stuff like where to get a decent espresso early morning..., or a various kinds of pizza, pasta, street food nice bar for ice cold beer(yes I'm Aussie) and/or pool or billiards etc. 

If you go in the low season you should have your pick of hotels. Just get off the baht bus in an area you like, and look in a few hotels. You can stay one night anywhere and find something better the next day.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If you go in the low season you should have your pick of hotels. Just get off the baht bus in an area you like, and look in a few hotels. You can stay one night anywhere and find something better the next day.

Yes, too true..., thats my usual 'modus operandi'..., book 1 night in a specific location that I've done some previous research on..., move around it for a day or 2 and maybe find a better place..., or not.
Visiting soon.
Thanks

• Like 1