Phalang Pracharat still short on seats to form coalition

webfact

Phalang Pracharat still short on seats to form coalition

By Kas Chanwanpen 
The Nation 

460bf8d2b68224df93a8507ae6d04f24.jpeg

Phalang Pracharat had yet to announce the establishment of a coalition as of Tuesday, saying its aim was to set up a stable government. 

Despite an earlier announcement on party leader Uttama Savanayana’s Facebook page that the five-party coalition would be announced on Tuesday, Uttama said Tuesday’s press conference was being held to merely to emphasise the parties’ intentions to collaborate. 

“We’re not setting up a minority government here,” Uttama said. “Our intentions remain unchanged, in that we want to form a government that is stable and capable of serving the people.” 

Five parties – Action Coalition for Thailand, Chat Pattana, Thai Local Power, People's Reform and Thai Forest Conservation – were at the press conference on Tuesday. If these parties were to combine their seats with those of Phalang Pracharat, there would be less than 200 seats, still far from the 251 needed to legitimise a coalition. 

Democrat and Bhumjaithai parties, which hold 103 seats together, were absent from the press conference. The Democrats have yet to decide on whether it will join the coalition, while Bhumjaithai is said to have made a pact with the Democrats to go in the same direction.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30370517

thenation_logo.jpg

So what happens if Prayuth is elected PM, the Dems and/or Bumjaithai decide not to join a PP coalition leaving the anti-junta bloc with the most MPs?

Serious question as I have no idea how this scenario would work.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, madmitch said:

So what happens if Prayuth is elected PM, the Dems and/or Bumjaithai decide not to join a PP coalition leaving the anti-junta bloc with the most MPs?

I was wondering the same thing.

What happens if no coalition reaches the required seats?

Does Prayut stay in power? Do they get a do-over election? Do they keep stretching the deadline and keep negotiating to get the seats?

According to breaking news on Twitter 27 Democrats have said they will join hands with Phalang Pracharat. This is even before the Dems have their party vote on whether or not to join the coalition later today.

7 minutes ago, GarryP said:

According to breaking news on Twitter 27 Democrats have said they will join hands with Phalang Pracharat. This is even before the Dems have their party vote on whether or not to join the coalition later today.

A position they have taken throughout history disguised by smoke and mirrows

• Like 2

1 hour ago, madmitch said:

Anti-junta equals, substantially, anti-senate.

Anyone who is not with them is against them (and their "noble" principles).

So (forgive me for repeating myself) :

"A puppet government is acceptable.

If it becomes impossible to form one then the regime carries on in its current form, with rule by decree.

Because the civilian, would be members of government, will have proven themselves:

"lacking in the devotion and commitment to unification, reconciliation and progress, and too selfish to sacrifice personal ambition for the greater good of the kingdom and its people".

Or something similar."

There is only one "correct" outcome as far as the regime is concerned.

There is only one way to change the nature of the regime, politics......and the future of Thailand.

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, madmitch said:

it will ham-string Prayuth and the junta and probably result in a major dummy-spit and all toys being ejected from the pram - and it can't happen soon enough - leaving the two major players to argue between themselves with the others keeping the bastards honest (as honest as is conceivable in LOS)    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eric Loh said:

Party split looks inevitable. Party is torn apart by Ahbisit’s incompetence and weakness to stop the influence of Suthep’s faction and the rot has developed. Jurin do not have the incumbency to demand unity. I hope the 28 young MPs will break and join up with the FFP. 

I believe Thais have a rather nasty name and very low opinion of MPs who change parties after the election. FYI Abhisit has resigned as party leader, and Suthep (who?) has left to form his own party (ACT with 5 seats) so doubt he has a faction. Who told you the Democrat MPs who have not pledged support for PPRP are "young"?

1 hour ago, Enoon said:

Anti-junta equals, substantially, anti-senate.

Anyone who is not with them is against them (and their "noble" principles).

So (forgive me for repeating myself) :

"A puppet government is acceptable.

If it becomes impossible to form one then the regime carries on in its current form, with rule by decree.

Because the civilian, would be members of government, will have proven themselves:

"lacking in the devotion and commitment to unification, reconciliation and progress, and too selfish to sacrifice personal ambition for the greater good of the kingdom and its people".

Or something similar."

There is only one "correct" outcome as far as the regime is concerned.

There is only one way to change the nature of the regime, politics......and the future of Thailand.

May well be time for "someone" to step-in with the simple statement "enough is enough". 

51 minutes ago, Ozman52 said:

I believe Thais have a rather nasty name and very low opinion of MPs who change parties after the election. FYI Abhisit has resigned as party leader, and Suthep (who?) has left to form his own party (ACT with 5 seats) so doubt he has a faction. Who told you the Democrat MPs who have not pledged support for PPRP are "young"?

They are called pro democracy and Thais have high regards for them. Nothing nasty about them going against a dic regime. All should be proud; maybe not you but who cares. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, bannork said:

The Democrats have voted overwhelmingly to join the coalition, only 16 were against.

I hope they are totally wiped out come the next elections. Showing their true colors, green not blue.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Party split looks inevitable. Party is torn apart by Ahbisit’s incompetence and weakness to stop the influence of Suthep’s faction and the rot has developed. Jurin do not have the incumbency to demand unity. I hope the 28 young MPs will break and join up with the FFP. 

Wishful thinking and bias rarely get it right.

9 minutes ago, Bipolar said:

New Name for the Democrats.....LIARS!   They ran on a party platform of making sure no return of power of the military regime.....those Democart MPs  won was because people voted for them based on that and now they have lied and are supporting the military regime. You can never never believe one word ever that any Democrat says. They are simply LIARS! Period. You can never trust a Democrat ever again. People should boo or spit on them whenever they say or talk anything. I voted for them and it was a stupid mistake. Simple plain losers who messed up the country so many times with mobs etc and it was they in the first place with the cockroach from Samui and the yellow pariahs that caused the army to come into power. I hate the red shirts and the thaksin party but I believe that everything should have been resolved in parliament or thru elections not mob rule which was started in Thailand by the Democrats actually and their yellow pariah cronies.

Sir, there was never really any question that they would side with the reactionaries.

"Simple plain losers who messed up the country so many times with mobs etc"

Then why in God's name did you put your faith in them?

17 hours ago, DLock said:

I was wondering the same thing.

What happens if no coalition reaches the required seats?

Does Prayut stay in power? Do they get a do-over election? Do they keep stretching the deadline and keep negotiating to get the seats?

The junta either continue as the junta or as Palang Pracharat. Simple as that. Any other questions are irrelevant.