Is Your Nationality Important To You Now That You Live In Los?

garro

Is your nationality imoportant to you now that you live in LOS?  

85 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have lived the majority of my life outside my country of birth and so my nationality is not really that important to me. I also view it as something very man-made which has only caused division. I think that my nationality means even less to me now that I live in LOS.

I am always a bit shocked to see Farang walking around Thailand with football shirts of their national team. I tend to view the person wearing it as a bit of a yob (I know that this is probably not true). I also find people who are overly proud of their nationality to be a bit shallow.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see your point of view, but find that when you travel and/or expatriate you cannot escape your nationality, so why try? At "home" you are just you, but abroad, you are that ______ (fill in the blank). To me, just a fact of life. I agree wearing flag clothing is over the top.

It's only important to me when someone assumes I am from a country I am not. When this happens (more often than not) then I make a point of telling them but only because there are some countries I would not like to be mistaken for... sort of like when a Canadian makes a point of saying 'I am not from the USA' sort of thing.

I was critical of my country when I served it and worked in it, for it. When I demonstrated against Ronald Reagan's wars in Central America, standing on federal property, our union steward asked the labor relations chief if I had violated the labor contract. The anti-union manager (whose office featured a big sign, QUESTION AUTHORITY) said he didn't care, and joked with me about it later.

I answered 'fairly important,' even though I served my country honorably for over 26 years.

I'm a bit prejudiced against natives who never travel outside their own country, yet feel qualified to make unfounded opinions on international affairs. I favor those of us who have gotten out, seen other countries, and made informed decisions.

But the American-bashing is quite excessive at times.

As long as im not mistaken as an american then im happy.

I understand that given the world today. But as an American, they aren't making a mistake. So we can't get away from it even if we want to.

I voted Important.

Edited by Jingthing

I have lived the majority of my life outside my country of birth and so my nationality is not really that important to me. I also view it as something very man-made which has only caused division. I think that my nationality means even less to me now that I live in LOS.

I am always a bit shocked to see Farang walking around Thailand with football shirts of their national team. I tend to view the person wearing it as a bit of a yob (I know that this is probably not true). I also find people who are overly proud of their nationality to be a bit shallow.

Well I would rather be an Australian in Thailand. Eg. Visa.

Yes I have a Australian Wallabies Shirt.

Maybe it's me you saw but I have only worn it a few times & I would not think of myself as a "yob" or as we say Down Under "Yobbo". Anytime I wear it people know they can approach me & often do. I don't think any other nation can say the same.

Aussie Slang

As long as im not mistaken as an american then im happy.
But the American-bashing is quite excessive at times.

Gotta get used to it. It's the "fashionable" thing to do on TV.

Despite its similarity to penis envy. :o

Important as in HOW? If you're talking about flag waving and all that kind of thing, I'd say it's not important. If you're talking about giving up my citizenship, then it becomes VERY important. I plan to collect US Social Security benefits for a good LONG time. I paid for them and I want them. :o

I'm not living in LOS now, I will do again one day, the TW will see to that! Now I'm back in the UK, and can see just how far down the toilet T Blair Esq has taken the country, the 'proud to be British' thing is beginning to look a bit of a joke.

my nationality is important to me as I would hate to be mistaken as an Aussie.... :o

no seriously its not that important to me I haven`t spent much time in my own country for the last 25 yrs and only pay any notice to my nationality when I hand my passport to immigration or apply for a visa

It seems to be about 50/50 so far.

When I say important I mean, is it important to how you see yourself?

Is it a big part of your identity?

If you see a fellow national here in LOS do you feel like hugging them or punching them hard in the nose? :o

Of course ones nationality is important ! No matter how long you stay in Los, you will never have Thai nationality. If you gave it up, you would be a stateless person, and probably not be allowed to stay here.

I'm proud to be British, the country of my birth. No matter what people say about, it kept me all my life, giving me a, on average, a good lifestyle. Now, it enables me to live here and provide me with a comfortable income.

I can travel all over the world, without visa problems, and in general,I am welcomed.

More so than here, I might add.

Yes, I'm proud to be british !

I didn't interpret the question to mean are you "proud" to be your nationality. Where would such pride come from? Where you are born is an accident of fate. Its still important though. Its part of most everyone's identity. Its folly to deny your identity.

I'm not living in LOS now, I will do again one day, the TW will see to that! Now I'm back in the UK, and can see just how far down the toilet T Blair Esq has taken the country, the 'proud to be British' thing is beginning to look a bit of a joke.

At least you are on the South Coast. If you appeaciate the geography of Tony's "down the toilet philosophy" think yourself lucky you don't live in Luton, Leicester, Brixton or Bradford etc.etc. Those areas have been allowed to become totally flushed away from anything recognisable with Britain Fortunatly I don't come from any areas like that so still proud ,to a certain extent ,to be British. If I did however come from those areas I would seriously consider denying it as I would be ashamed to admit it !!!

As the OP says, nationality is bogus, something invented by the establishment to keep them in power (read your history books if you don't know what I'm talking about). I've lost count of how often someone on this forum has pleaded with me to make me say where I am from. It doesn't matter. It's irrelevant, we're all just earthlings.

I didn't interpret the question to mean are you "proud" to be your nationality. Where would such pride come from? Where you are born is an accident of fate. Its still important though. Its part of most everyone's identity. Its folly to deny your identity.

Dont nit pick :o

At least you are on the South Coast. If you appeaciate the geography of Tony's "down the toilet philosophy" think yourself lucky you don't live in Luton, Leicester, Brixton or Bradford etc.etc. Those areas have been allowed to become totally flushed away from anything recognisable with Britain Fortunatly I don't come from any areas like that so still proud ,to a certain extent ,to be British. If I did however come from those areas I would seriously consider denying it as I would be ashamed to admit it !!!

In sunny Bognor they're even teaching the Police to speak Polish!

As the OP says, nationality is bogus, something invented by the establishment to keep them in power (read your history books if you don't know what I'm talking about). I've lost count of how often someone on this forum has pleaded with me to make me say where I am from. It doesn't matter. It's irrelevant, we're all just earthlings.

Take me to your leader, Phil. As long as he doesn't smoke :o

After living in Germany for over 15 years now I still hold a British passport. I haven't lived in England for many years and although the Germans still regard me as English I often wake up mornings nowadays unsure of my nationality. I think and speak German 24/7 unless I'm translating or surfing the English boards.

I think some people see their identity as a very static thing but I see it as constantly changing on a daily basis. There are many factors which make up my identity. The fact that I will soon be a father is a much more important part of my identity than where the hole I was pulled out of 37 years ago was which led to my country of birth.

The fact that my nationality is not that important to me doesn't mean that I wish to adopt Thai nationaliy; that would be impossiple. I just think life is too short to see as important something which was just an accident of fate.

Edited by garro

I think some people see their identity as a very static thing but I see it as constantly changing on a daily basis. There are many factors which make up my identity. The fact that I will soon be a father is a much more important part of my identity than where the hole I was pulled out of 37 years ago was which led to my country of birth.

The fact that my nationality is not that important to me doesn't mean that I wish to adopt Thai nationaliy; that would be impossiple. I just think life is too short to see as important something which was just an accident of fate.

Thats very idealistic of you. But back in the REAL world ...

How American of me, I know.

You know, there are some stereotypes about Americans that are quite often true:

more likely to drink coffee rather than tea

more likely to talk about money and religion than other nationalities

more likely to be overweight than other nationalities

more likely to be direct in our communications than other nationalities

more likely to be superficially friendly to new people and it meaning basically nothing

more likely to be arrogant, and think our country is the center of the universe (just like Thais!)

Edited by Jingthing

Very much in agreement.

Nationalism is an outdated concept that was once useful to get humanity out of the clutches of feudalism. Now it just turned into another tool of oppression.

Proud of ones Nationality? Most people never had much saying in that matter, and anyhow, does being proud of ones nationality include all the crimes that have been committed in the name of that nationality as well?

My nationality is for me nothing else than a passport that allows me to travel more free than than 90% of humanity, for whom their nationality is nothing but an artificial prison created by the establishment.

Unfortunately, as this thread shows, some here are not even aware what kind of prison the concept of Nationhood is, and they are proud to be in their cells, waving their stupid flags, standing up and singing their mostly crappy anthems like some parrots.

When we talk about cultural affinity, then this is a completely different discussion, but "the nation" should have been abolished already after WW1. That's when we learned the first time the bitter lesson of the logical outcome of nationalism.

It seems to be about 50/50 so far.

When I say important I mean, is it important to how you see yourself?

Is it a big part of your identity?

If you see a fellow national here in LOS do you feel like hugging them or punching them hard in the nose? :o

Maybe not punch them in the nose but I'd most likely cross the street.

Not important to my life now, but obviously has been important in forming who I am.

Oh wouldn't the world be a much better place if there wasn't the institution-induced need to rely on a nationality for identity. I guess the same could be said for religion.

My son-in-law visited recently and donned an England shirt, despite the fact that he no longer cares about their fate. He did buy a Thai shirt, and was warmly received by the locals. He, like the vast majority, is brain-washed into living his life with these values, and the associated 'we are different, therefore better, than them', that causes so much trouble world-wide.

I know the human race needs challenges to survive, but do they have to be so destructive?

But then I would like to see money abolished!

Got to say I am fairly proud to be Australian . I don't give out the information unless asked . Usually goes like this .

"Are you a Kiwi " asked by a an obvious american , and I tell them " No I am an Aussie , are you a Canadian ? "

I don't wear patriotic clothing or push it into peoples faces , but I am proud of my heratage just as Thais are of theirs .

My growing up in my homeland has given me the ideals that I live with from day to day . One could think that if we were in Thailand all our lives how easy it would be to turn and condone corruption as the SEA seem to have accepted here for eternity .

Thank God or Bhudda , that there seems to be some push towards a more western style of ideals now .

Mind you there are times that i am introduced to fellow countrymen that makes me wish we didn't have those ties , but usually a polite excuse of going to the toilet or something similar sees me out of those predicaments . :o

Just my two cents worth .

Jim .