Is Your Nationality Important To You Now That You Live In Los?

garro

Is your nationality imoportant to you now that you live in LOS?  

85 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not important. It's an artificial concept.

I'm glad I was born in a country where everybody gets a decent go at making something of themselves, but then again there are several other places that would have been just as, or almost as good.

Most of the important issues in the world today involve more than one nation, and should be handled as such if we are to have any chance of solving them.

So, nationality is a theoretical concept that doesn't work well in the real world. I mean, what country does not teach its citizens that it is glorious and righteous to kill the soldiers (and civilians) of some other place, simply because we think we heard a rumour that the leader of that country may have said he might want to kill our country? Or more precisely, is there a country that doesn't expect the majority of its young men to die for their flag, if called upon to ride into the valley like Kipling's Charge of the Light Brigade, not asking why?

Okay, so we have to have a passport, some citizenship; we don't want to be like the infamous "man without a country." I know an American lady who, when Ronald Reagan ordered the air strike in Libya that killed Kadaffy's daughter, went storming into the nearest American embassy, threw her passport on the counter, and insisted that she be allowed to renounce her citizenship then and there.

I get to listen to twits going around saying rude things about my country and my countrymen and when I cleverly put them in their place they hate us even more. :D

There're still twits, UG

It's tough to be the big dog on the block, eh? :o

I get to listen to twits going around saying rude things about my country and my countrymen and when I cleverly put them in their place they hate us even more. :o

I have heard plenty of people say rude things about the country of my birth but it doesn't bother me because, as I have said, nationality doesn't mean that much to me.

When my Thai then-fiancee announced to her relatives that she was marrying an American [7 years ago], they congratulated her on her "success" which I didn't understand entirely at the time, thinking they meant "good fortune."

Now I understand. I am the lucky one. :o

Not important. It's an artificial concept.

To a certain extent.

We are all products of our respective environments and cultures. :o

Culture and nation is something completely different. Culture is something that is growing, morphing changing, adapting. A nation is an artificial concept.

I believe in cultural affinity, but not in "the nation". You, from the US, should know best. Within your nation you have a multitude of cultures, often utterly fascinating cultures that have died out in Europe, or completely new ones, but which unfortunately always get tried to be molded by the extreme nationalists of your nation into a singular entity.

Mostly that is done with building up of paranoia under the population of a mostly self made or even non existent enemy, then sending young kids off to kill and die in wars for the profit of a few. And then we all will have to listen to inane comments such as "you are either against us or for us", or "whatever, but we support our troops", without even thinking that the best support for your troops would have been in the first place not to send them into a war they have no business in whatsoever.

You sort of people always mistake any criticism of the US foreign policy as anti Americanism. This is BS that i am getting very tired off. There are more than a few Americans who have exactly the same problems with what their governments have been doing the last decades in foreign countries.

We are all affected by the foreign policies of your leadership, we have an <deleted> right to complain about US government's arrogance, such as circumventing the UN security council after the lies that have been presented as "proof" by Powell have not been bought by most other countries.

Anyhow, back to the topic, what is presently going on with the US is a perfect example why i despise any form of Nationalism - the wrong leadership, and young kids are sent off to die, get maimed and have to kill for the profit of a few, under the stupid pretense of "the nation", "the flag" and the rest of all that crap.

Edited by ColPyat

...and let's take it down a notch. We are not going into a debate of for or against the US here.

This is a poll asking if you think your own nationality is important or not. If you have issues with people who are for or against US foreign policy, take them to a forum aimed to discuss these things.

Thank you for your understanding.

Support your Mods. :o

...and let's take it down a notch. We are not going into a debate of for or against the US.

This is a poll asking if you think nationalism is important or not. If you have issues with people who are for or against US foreign policy, take them to a forum aimed to discuss these things.

I have no problem with that at all.

But the same should count for anyone who turns spastic whenever any slight criticism of the US is voiced, or even none at all and is just perceived so, and then has to go off on Nationalist rants, including posting inane "we support the troops" banners. Which have even less to do with the thread topic. :D

Edited by ColPyat

I also find people who are overly proud of their nationality to be a bit shallow.

Garro, i have to presume you find most Thai people to be a bit shallow then?

Personally, the ones who can't live without trying to convince all and sundry how great their nation is, YES - they bore the shit out of me! :o

Fortunately at home i don't have that problem, no topic in my home is forbidden. :D

I might possibly be harder for Americans to forget they are Americans, considering current world politics, and also that Americans usually still have many ties to the "homeland" regarding taxes and other fiscal matters.

Don't you think (if U do) that you're talking about yourself? :o

Edited by SamuiJens

...and let's take it down a notch. We are not going into a debate of for or against the US here.

This is a poll asking if you think your own nationality is important or not. If you have issues with people who are for or against US foreign policy, take them to a forum aimed to discuss these things.

Fair enough,good call!Exactly one of the topics in the general forum ,keep on topic!And be more friendly!

I also find people who are overly proud of their nationality to be a bit shallow.

Garro, i have to presume you find most Thai people to be a bit shallow then?

If a Thai person moved to the other side of the planet and was overly proud of where they came from then yes I would.

It is because of spending time away from my country that I can see the through the shallowness that is nationality.

To answer the question mentioned in the topic, yes, my nationality is important to me.

I am proud of my nationality and I would not want to be mistaken as having any other nationality.

Here in Thailand, alot of people make assumptions about you based on your nationality (well at my work they do!)

If you are from a certain country, they will view you in a certain way, no matter if you are a good or bad person, you will be labled as being an Aussie, Brit, American, Filipino or where ever you are from.

So when people lable me as an Aussie, I am proud of it, because thats what I am. And I feel proud to say im an Aussie here in Thailand as Thailand and Australia have a good relationship (well apart from the recent travel warnings) Now, if I were from some other countries, I would still say my nationality is important to me, but I might not be able to say im proud of it. Being an Aussie lets me have an Aussie passport which I can use to get into most countires without a visa, USA, England and many other first world countries to speak of, so what does that have to say about holding Aussie nationaltiy, we are citizens of a country respected by many nations. I never dress in Anyway to makes others aware of where im from, the only way people can tell im an Aussie with out asking is by listening to my accent. So, Im not patriotic, but yes, im very proud of my nationality and it is very important to me, especially being in Thailand. I could not think of a better nationality to have being here................

Just my 2 c

Sorry for the spelling mistakes in advance, but remember, im an Aussie an ive been drinking afew to many VB's tonight so my vision is partly blurrrreeeeedddddddddddd!

Sorry for the spelling mistakes in advance, but remember, im an Aussie an ive been drinking afew to many VB's tonight so my vision is partly blurrrreeeeedddddddddddd!

That's all right mite, I still like what you said. And nothing wrong with a VB.

So when people lable me as an Aussie, I am proud of it, because thats what I am.

The problem of being "proud" of ones Nation is that it then also includes the darker aspects.

As an Aussie, are you then also proud of the previous horrible treatment of the aborigines?

So when people lable me as an Aussie, I am proud of it, because thats what I am.

The problem of being "proud" of ones Nation is that it then also includes the darker aspects.

As an Aussie, are you then also proud of the previous horrible treatment of the aborigines?

I blame the ENGLISH for that :o:D

I blame the ENGLISH for that :o:D

That always works.

The fun with blaming the Americans though is offset with the endless diatribes we get after having blamed them. They are even worse than the Germans in taking these things too serious. :D

Most deffinently not. No nationality is perfect and most if not all countries have dark spots in their countries past, but I am still proud of my nationality. Being proud of where your from or what nationality you are does not mean you have to be proud of everything you country has done in the past, especially if you wern't around at that time to make an impact.

The treatment of the aborigines started with the English people as Australia was originally modernised/ started by the English. By the time Australia found its own identity and developed its own culture by slowley breaking away from British traditions, most of the damage was already done to the Aborigines.

I am proud to be from Australia, a very young, first world, sucessful and modern nation that has developed very quickly compaired to some nations and cultures that are thousands of years older...........................

The problem with being nationalistic is that while it is nice to hear nice things said about your nation people tend to take criticisms of it personally. This is difficult because every nation has been involved in at least some shameful conduct.

Most deffinently not. No nationality is perfect and most if not all countries have dark spots in their countries past, but I am still proud of my nationality. Being proud of where your from or what nationality you are does not mean you have to be proud of everything you country has done in the past, especially if you wern't around at that time to make an impact.

The treatment of the aborigines started with the English people as Australia was originally modernised/ started by the English. By the time Australia found its own identity and developed its own culture by slowley breaking away from British traditions, most of the damage was already done to the Aborigines.

I am proud to be from Australia, a very young, first world, sucessful and modern nation that has developed very quickly compaired to some nations and cultures that are thousands of years older...........................

I guess then maybe replacing being "proud of your Nation" with having a strong cultural affinity would be a better idea.

It may sound like picking beans, but it actually are two different concepts of thought.

Being proud of your nation does automatically include that terrible concept of "right or wrong - my country", while a cultural affinity though is far more multi layered and suitable to the spirit of your answer.

Being proud of your nation is somewhat inclusive here, and includes the people and acts of your nation that you cannot be proud of with a good conscience.

I guess then maybe replacing being "proud of your Nation" with having a strong cultural affinity would be a better idea.

It may sound like picking beans, but it actually are two different concepts of thought.

Being proud of your nation does automatically include that terrible concept of "right or wrong - my country", while a cultural affinity though is far more multi layered and suitable to the spirit of your answer.

Being proud of your nation is somewhat inclusive here, and includes the people and acts of your nation that you cannot be proud of with a good conscience.

perhaps he is "unconditionally proud" - like the concept of unconditional love a mother might have for her child, despite the child's warts and weaknesses...

I guess I have a bad conscience then....................... :o

Right or wrong in the past, Im proud to be an Aussie! :D