Non immigrant visa O (marriage) - have to show evidence of £1500 per month income?

Hi, couldn’t find an answer when searching, new to the forum and a bit confused about visas. 

Currently live in the UK with my Thai wife (I’m from the UK, below retirement age) if I want to go live in Thailand with her I have to apply for an initial 90 day non immigrant visa before converting to one year marriage  correct? The royal Thai consulate in London website states I have to show evidence that I earn at least £1500 per month, is this correct? Anyone have any experience of this? I read other websites that state I don’t have to prove any income.

Thanks. 

Hi, couldn’t find an answer when searching, new to the forum and a bit confused about visas. 

Currently live in the UK with my Thai wife (I’m from the UK, below retirement age) if I want to go live in Thailand with her I have to apply for an initial 90 day non immigrant visa before converting to one year marriage  correct? The royal Thai consulate in London website states I have to show evidence that I earn at least £1500 per month, is this correct? Anyone have any experience of this? I read other websites that state I don’t have to prove any income.

Thanks. 
No financials required, its an error on the website.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

9 hours ago, ThaiPauly said:

To obtain a marriage visa you need to show you have 400,000 Thai Baht in a Thai bank account 2 months before application

That's it.

Yes, sorry maybe I wasn't clear, I meant the initial 90 day non immigrant visa (I know money deposited in a Thai bank account is required when extending to the longer marriage based visa).

9 hours ago, Jay2013 said:

Sent from my SM-G965F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Hopefully an error and income is not required.

3 hours ago, Mark79 said:

I just obtained a Non Immigrant O visa (multi entry) based on marriage to a Thai from the Embassy in London last week.

I did the same this time last year to get a one year multi-entry. No Financials. Postal application. Sent on Wednesday and recieved passport back on Friday. Easy.

12 minutes ago, Paul Laycock1 said:

Come back on a tourist visa then convert to a multiple entry extension, no financial required needed. That’s how I do it every year in Savannaket, only downside you need to do 90 day trips.

The is no such thing as a multiple entry extension and extensions can only be applied for at a immigration office.

You seem to be writing about a multiple entry non-o visa.

27 minutes ago, Paul Laycock1 said:

Come back on a tourist visa then convert to a multiple entry extension, no financial required needed. That’s how I do it every year in Savannaket, only downside you need to do 90 day trips.

The process I believe would be to first convert the TV entry, to a Non-Imm-O Entry  (an already used Visa) in Thailand. In the last 30 days or so of the 90 days of that apply for an Extension of Stay based on marriage or retirement, which would give a one year permission of stay. Then a Multiple Re-Entry permit could be bought and you might approximate to what you say, at a total cost of I believe 2000+1900+3800 baht. Or are you suggesting a Non-Imm-O Multiple obtained in Savannaket? 

If their website says you need it ...you need it ...thai consulate in dublin is the same now, looking for 1600 euro or something and they only issue single entry ...pure waste of space ????...looks like i will have to go to singapore or vietnam now...

• Haha 1

Obtained a non O-ME from London in February, included £1500/m financial proof, with the application. That bit of the pack came back with the passport. Just the wifes ID and Marraige cert info was kept...

7 hours ago, Paul Laycock1 said:

Yes correct.

But you said you used a tourist visa, which is not a non-Imm O visa. You can't go directly from a tourist visa to a one year extension.

Edited by Suradit69

My passport contains a multiple entry extension based on marriage. If you want to go back years I once came here as a tourist on a 30 day stamp.

I try not to offer advice just an alternative. I live near Savannaket so not a big issue for me. Don’t use the bus service either. His passport and life so just get on with it.

12 hours ago, Mark79 said:

I did the application via post which I would recommend doing before the online visa applications go live (

Yes, did the same in September. Easy Peasy

But what exactly will ' online application ' involve ?

Will it be like getting a visa for the wife to go to the UK where you fill in the application online and are then given an appointment date involving a trip to the embassy ?

23 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes it is about the same.

Site for it is here. https://thaievisa.go.th/Home/

Thanks Ubonjoe. What a bummer. A very expensive trip into London from the Isle of Wight if I ever apply there again. The ferry alone will be way over 100 pounds.

I just checked that link. Wow....that is going to have some awful teething problems when it starts up. Feel sorry for the first few who try to apply for a multiple entry O based on marriage. 

Avoid if possible.

Edited by Denim
  • Like 2

This input is anecdotal but I hope it is of use. I am now returning from the Thai Embassy in London having just been promised a year long visa with 90 days leave to remain. (Is this the O or the AO?) My strong suspicion is that even at consular level the decisions are very arbitary.

For what it's worth my advice is to email the documents you have & ask for advice. Follow up with a brief polite call.

The bad tempered woman at the desk made up something in order to deny me the visa. Then she went to have a brief chat with a colleague & decided I could have one after all. I assume my case had already been decided before I arrived as she didn't bother looking at half my evidence.

1 hour ago, Seagull Sam said:

The bad tempered woman at the desk made up something in order to deny me the visa. 

You think she was bad tempered ?

Go back in ....... say July .....then she will have you for breakfast , and spit out your passport without anything to show for it.

2 hours ago, Samuel Smith said:

Their website (London) has said that for a few years at least, but no problem getting non O ME based on marriage by post, w/o showing any funds

Me too. But try to keep up.

Your experience and mine are history and totally non applicable to the coming changes.

On 6/4/2019 at 12:00 PM, Jay2013 said:

Its not an error - its a rule that they usually choose not to enforce. The same rule is applied/not applied at various Thai Embassies around the world.

I say 'usually' because I know someone that was asked once. When I called the RTE London and asked them about this the answer was "the website is not wrong but we don't normally ask for this, the marriage certificate is more important'". The best way is to simply apply and ignore the section on income. 99.5% - you'll get the visa but it is not an error and its not 100% guaranteed.

The consulate in Hull (UK) has a website that says I must supply bank statements but doesn't say why so I expect your query is the answer. I have to scan and email all the documents to Hull and they forward to London for permission. They then contact you so you can go to Hull with all your documents and the visa is issued there and then. I prefer this as I don't like posting valuable documents like passport etc. The ladies I have dealt with at Hull are friendly (mostly English). They only accept payment in cash, so beware.