Renewal of Retirement Extension

Ubonjoe - Good morning. I am wondering if you can provide a link that will tell me what I will need to do to renew my retirement extension later this year. I got the extension I'm on now late last year based on a Non-O Visa that I got here in Phuket, I used the US Embassy letter to confirm my monthly income. I am now receiving monthly deposits into my Bangkok Bank account. Any clarification/link that you can provide to assist with this process would be appreciated.

Thanks.

What is need to prove your transfers into the country seems to vary from office to office at this time.

You certainly need to show proof they came for abroad.

The basic requirement is a bank statement showing you transfers in and a letter from the bank.

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

What is need to prove your transfers into the country seems to vary from office to office at this time.

You certainly need to show proof they came for abroad.

The basic requirement is a bank statement showing you transfers in and a letter from the bank.

I am one of the many who used TransferWise to move money to Thailand earlier this year.

I use Kasikorn bank which shows the money as coming in as an internal transfer from Transfer Wise Bangkok bank account.

I have printed off documents proving I sent the money to Transfer wise and also have proof of the Transfer. 

I did a one off transfer and will be doing the 800.000 baht in the bank method.

Will that be enough proof or not ? If not is there anyway I can prove it or should I buy a ticket home ?

Edited by berybert

11 minutes ago, Henryford said:

I do the same as you Berybert, but into a Krungsri bank. I have opened a Bangkok Bank account and will do my transfers into that for the next 12 months. For the moment they have the magical FTT prefix.

Thanks, have you done an extension using Krungsri that doesn't show the international code yet ?

1 minute ago, berybert said:

Thanks, have you done an extension using Krungsri that doesn't show the international code yet ?

No for this year i am using the 800k in the bank. I presume my Krungsri monthly deposits will not be acceptable.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

You do not have to prove the funds came from abroad to apply for a extension of stay using the 800k baht in the bank option.

Ah Ok that certainly makes life a lot easier. 

Thanks as always.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, berybert said:

Ah Ok that certainly makes life a lot easier. 

Thanks as always.

Yes. I just did similar to you.....I opened a fixed term account recently (same bank you mention) with transfer from au. No need to demonstrate coming from o/s. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Yes. I just did similar to you.....I opened a fixed term account recently (same bank you mention) with transfer from au. No need to demonstrate coming from o/s. 

Wish I had taken notice earlier, would have saved 3 sheets of paper and some ink ????

6 minutes ago, berybert said:

Wish I had taken notice earlier, would have saved 3 sheets of paper and some ink ????

Lot of things confusing. For example "convert" a TV to non o inside Thai you need show funds came from outside. Apply non o consulate outside then that's not a requirement. Go figure.

• Like 1

You need to get a letter from Bangkok Bank to show all international funds transferred into your Bangkok Bank account.   I was informed they get it from the main office and it takes 5 days to get it.  Not sure of the cost  (if any).  I am going in next week to request my letter for my appointment at immigration on the 20th of June.

22 hours ago, berybert said:

I am one of the many who used TransferWise to move money to Thailand earlier this year.

I use Kasikorn bank which shows the money as coming in as an internal transfer from Transfer Wise Bangkok bank account.

I have printed off documents proving I sent the money to Transfer wise and also have proof of the Transfer. 

I did a one off transfer and will be doing the 800.000 baht in the bank method.

Will that be enough proof or not ? If not is there anyway I can prove it or should I buy a ticket home ?

If you set-up your TW transfer to Kasikorn, and then telephone their support quoting the transer reference number BEFORE you actually send your cash to them, they should be able to manually route your transfer via their local Kasikorn branch, and then it arrives in your account correctly coded as international.   In this way it's suitable for "income" method.

I've done it successfully a couple of time this way.  They will hold the rate for 24 hours for you before you need to pay, so you've got plenty of time to call them to get them to set it up. 

Edited by steve73

20 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Lot of things confusing. For example "convert" a TV to non o inside Thai you need show funds came from outside. Apply non o consulate outside then that's not a requirement. Go figure.

I got TV changed to non O 90 day at Chaengwattana, then 1 year extension by ฿800K method. I bank at Krungsri, Bangkok Bank wouldn’t open account. Used TransferWise, my USA banks don’t do international wires. Showed as domestic through Bangkok Bank. Following a post in a Facebook Forum, I got transactions number from Krungsri, went to Bangkok Bank head office on Silom Road, 2nd floor international department. They gave me a letter stating it’s international transfer. Chaengwattana accepted it. 

• Like 2

What a pallaver eh? The hoops I now have to jump through to do something which I've been doing smoothly, effortlessly and LEGALLY for the last 12 years using the embassy letter, which sadly is no longer an option. 

Just my 2 cent!

The problem I see here many people take it for granted that these immigration officers can actually read and write English. Believe me, they can't in general but they aren't going to come out and tell you they can't.

How do I know my favourite pastime is to test people and play mind games so I can get a reaction I do this all the time even down in Immigration Jomtien. I play the respectful helpless old Chinese man with a slight fake limp asking a lot of questions making them feel all helpful and warm inside so I can figure out what to expect down the road.

The reality, if you need to do the income it is going to be difficult unless you have been getting the money deposited into a Thai Bank for some time.

If you are just doing it now if you know and believe that critical thinking isn't part of their education curriculum it is going to be tough for them to figure it all out the reason they want all the deposits done on the same date each month. It is near impossible, example your pension comes on the 1st of each month if it falls on a Saturday Sunday you might get it two days before or a day after, then if you are an American in general if your Birthday is like 14th, you will get it the 3rd Wednesday of each month that could be 15th, 17th, 20th when it comes to your Social Security.

It isn't rocket science to us, but the majority if we were working immigration, can take Bank statement look at the deposit the wording next to it and the date and match it up with the next month and so on. If you know Thais at all the more you talk the faster more frustration the switch goes off and they stick to their request. Look at them while you are talking you will see the signs you been tuned out!

That being said I have the pension money to do the income but much easier to just ship money over whether I like it or not and do the 800,000 deposit. I'm married at this point even too lazy to convert to marriage or even change our joint bank book which has her maiden name so I just shipped another million since I need 1,600,000 joint different names

Remember just keep it simple. This is Thailand in some cases!

Edited by thailand49

19 hours ago, Mango Bob said:

You need to get a letter from Bangkok Bank to show all international funds transferred into your Bangkok Bank account.   I was informed they get it from the main office and it takes 5 days to get it.  Not sure of the cost  (if any).  I am going in next week to request my letter for my appointment at immigration on the 20th of June.

Ordered mine yesterday, was told one week and it will be at the branch, cost 200 baht up front.