Outside water tank overflowing.

bamboozled

So I woke up the other morning with the water gently overflowing from the top of the outdoor holding tank. I turned off the supply and have been turning it on and off by hand as needed....until I can address the problem. I have an older-than-the-hills Hitachi water pump (rental house) with a plastic sinker-type thingy dangling into the top of the tank attached with an electric cord and running to the pump. I'm assuming this tells the pump to fill or not to fill (that is the question). Any off the top ideas of what's going on? I don't really want to involve the landlord as that always turns into a bigger issue and they usually send someone incompetent anyway. If I can fix it myself, tweaking this or that, great. Otherwise, I'll call someone myself.

I haven't really studied the set-up but the water runs into the top of the tank from the city water supply, without need of the pump (this supply is what I'm turning on and off). I'm not sure how the pump effectuates stopping the water but I'm assuming in the Rube Goldberg plastic pipe set-up it must pressurize some valve and close it, yes?

Any ideas? This dangly sinker type thing must be the culprit!

If connected to the town supply, it has /should have a ball cock to cut the inflow, it's either stuck open or buggered. Nothing to do with the pump. 

Get the local Somchai pump guy in, maybe a 10 minute fix. The dangly thing is probably used to isolate the pump at very low tank level. 

Thank you. You guys know your stuff. Yes, the dangly thing has a very long cord on it but floats so that makes sense that once the level is very low the cord would be at it's max and something would be activated. And yes, the pump is still working and pumping water into the house from the tank so I will have a look and see if I can locate the ball cock. It's probable soldered into the pipes but maybe I'll get lucky! I'll report back.

Wish me luck, cheers....

I just had a look and found nothing. Where would the ball cock be? The straight pipe coming into the top of the tank, I can't see how the ball cock would be activated....unless it is at the end of that pipe poking into the top of the tank? I wonder if it somehow came unscrewed or broke off and is at the bottom of the tank? There is a screw adapter on the end of that pipe. Does it work that once the tank is full the water floats into the end of the pipe (coming in at the top of the tank) and raises the ball to block the opening?

Thanks!

I just had a look and found nothing. Where would the ball cock be? The straight pipe coming into the top of the tank, I can't see how the ball cock would be activated....unless it is at the end of that pipe poking into the top of the tank? I wonder if it somehow came unscrewed or broke off and is at the bottom of the tank? There is a screw adapter on the end of that pipe. Does it work that once the tank is full the water floats into the end of the pipe (coming in at the top of the tank) and raises the ball to block the opening?

Thanks!

This is a typical ballcock valve ( yours maybe different but the principle will be the same )

IMG_9140.JPG

The water enters through the body of the valve and flows out the top, when the level rises the “ float “ rises blocking the exit of the water.

I suggest you keep the incoming water closed for a while so you can see the valve, try to lift it up and down, it should be really free and easy, see if the float hasn’t fallen off [emoji51], or look for anything obvious like a crack in the valve itself allowing water into the tank even when the top is sealed by the rising of the float.

With a lower level of water you should be able to see what is happening i.e. open the incoming water and lift the float to replicate the water level rising, if the water doesn’t stop coming into the tank look at where it’s coming from that should tell you the problem.

Good luck

Yes your right

The Ball cock screws onto the inlet pipe & you will find them in any hardware shop

Not sure if possible to fall off

How long have you been turning inlet tap off

I had to buy one for a new Moo Baan house ( maybe others just borrow them )

Ah yes, thanks guys, just like in the toilet. I remember seeing that now attached to the pipe...in the past. Yes, it is GONE. Must have come unscrewed somehow. Guess I'll go fishing tomorrow when it's light!

I'll report back. Thank you!

Yes, thank you Sometimewoodworker. My pipe comes in directly down from the top of the tank (not top of the side but top of the top) but none the less, the same set up. But no ball cock! Someone stole it!

On another note...are these tanks to be drained and cleaned on a regular bases? Just wondering as there is some plant debris floating at the top of mine. And a ball valve sitting at the bottom among who knows what else. I just bought a pressure washer. Is there any point to draining the tank and pressure washing the inside?

Just had another look inside and the ball cock was floating on the top of the water. I hadn't noticed it last night! So, I slipped it back on the stripped threads of the inflow pipe and fingers crossed!

Thanks all, problem solved for the time being!

1 hour ago, bamboozled said:

On another note...are these tanks to be drained and cleaned on a regular bases? Just wondering as there is some plant debris floating at the top of mine. And a ball valve sitting at the bottom among who knows what else. I just bought a pressure washer. Is there any point to draining the tank and pressure washing the inside?

The regular basis for cleaning would be: if it's going to be moved, if you need to do something inside, or once every few years. So I would do it this time as you probably would do well to replace the inflow pipe because if the ballcock came of once it will do so again probably quite soon.

Archived