British expat and Hua Hin bar owner arrested on eight year overstay

webfact

8 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

Immigration are unable to keep track on over-stayers, despite what they might claim

This is why they need our help to carry out the 90 day and TM30 reports (or at least a fine in their place).

In Thailand it is only the law abiding who get treated like criminals.

Whistle blowing! How can somebody at a certain age who has invested in a bar, resto and his own life can feel relax and confident that he will live till his death in the country where he has elected as home which can turn from sweet to bitter! 

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so why didnt he go to Bkk, get a new passport when his ran out?

Why not get a work permit for his bar?

I know what my opinion is of the bloke, but i cannot say as the moderators will ban me again.  ha ha

54 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

'rules don't apply to me, cause I'm special'  -  nope

'the Thais will never catch me, they're corrupt ignoramuses'  -  wrong 

'I think I'm in heaven with all this free booze'  - time to sober up and face life  -  oh oh!

Talking to the mirror again?

2 minutes ago, nickmondo said:

so why didnt he go to Bkk, get a new passport when his ran out?

Why not get a work permit for his bar?

I know what my opinion is of the bloke, but i cannot say as the moderators will ban me again.  ha ha

Yeah, opinions are like <deleted>; everyone's got one, haven't they?

31 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

Well....actually no. TH30/90 fines only capture people who are in the immigration system and who, for the most part, want to do the right thing.

Those foreigners outside the immigration system will never be caught in crackdowns like that. In most cases, they need to be dobbed in. Perhaps a job for a vigilante like your self?

Yes of course, but with more people doing TM30s etc at least immigration would have some sort of records before someone drops off the radar. In the case of this brit bar owner, it looks like he hadn't moved far from his last know address, 8 years later.

8 hours ago, MJKT2014 said:

Interesting no one is commenting on the old guys mental health issues reported in the op. It can have a debilitating effect on people affected and lead to situations like this.

OK so he overstayed and eventually got caught now he's being held by immigration prior to his deportation maybe a fine I don't know but why on earth anyone would like to see him spend a few years in a Thai prison before being deported is beyond me it's got me totally befuddled. 

1 hour ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Plus when 40 drown in a boat - no one gives a shit, the Thais make some half-arsed apology to President Xi and it's back to business as usual. 

Well, there are plenty of Chinese in the world, as the world's most populous country...

So apparently, neither China nor Thailand mind too much if a few dozen of them drop off along the way....  :whistling:

59 minutes ago, ZAKY said:

Whistle blowing! How can somebody at a certain age who has invested in a bar, resto and his own life can feel relax and confident that he will live till his death in the country where he has elected as home which can turn from sweet to bitter! 

And you are quoting my post because?

2 hours ago, StevieAus said:

He probably never “ owned “ it in the first place and if married maybe the closest he came was if he used the User Fruc provision or something similar.

So the family were probably going to obtain it in the end.

User Fruc or whatever, are not worth the paper they are written on.

If the thai family decided to move in,  the farlang would not last very long.

Time to move on, better luck next time.

10 hours ago, bluesofa said:

'following complaints' - this means that:

1) someone informed on him

2) Immigration are unable to keep track on over-stayers, despite what they might claim

Someone who might want his bar business - maybe?

This is a really sad story just like the Thai mother with her +/- 15 year old daughter who had to leave Denmark after her husband died. I don't have a link to this happening, maybe it can be found with a browser search. I'm sure there are lots of cases like this. Very sad and utterly disturbing.

10 hours ago, bluesofa said:

'following complaints' - this means that:

1) someone informed on him

2) Immigration are unable to keep track on over-stayers, despite what they might claim

they should get used to it because i predict a surge in overstays with the changes to the retirement process and i doubt they will catch many...

4 hours ago, allanos said:

TV members frequently seem to take delight in the misfortunes of others, rather than taking the position that "there but for the grace of God, go I". The Germans have a great word for this unfortunate affliction in people who have no charity in their hearts - Schadenfreude!

I havent noticed anyone taking "delight" in this guys misfortune .

When he was on overstay , I have been to Bangkok four times to get a new passport and been on about 150 visa runs , whilst he choose not to .

He made his choice and I have done many 20 hour bus journeys and he hasnt  .

And its not really "misfortune" . as its solely his own doing   

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Never tell anyone who you are, where you live, your phone number or the status of your VISA.

I learned that a few years back, allegedly there's even one poster on TV who likes to email DWP about Brit pensioners living in Thailand

No problem at all, I always provide them your personal data ????

11 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

Immigration are unable to keep track on over-stayers, despite what they might claim

This is why they need our help to carry out the 90 day and TM30 reports (or at least a fine in their place).

In Thailand it is only the law abiding who get treated like criminals.

Totally agree.

RE - British expat and Hua Hin bar owner arrested on eight year overstay

RE - Caption: Arrest of man from the land of gentlemen (Britain) Visa ran out 7 years ago. Sneakily running a bar in Hua Hin

-------

What does +/- 1 year from or to … :whistling:

2 hours ago, Derek B said:

Someone who might want his bar business - maybe?

Nope - It was his bar staff who alerted the police because they were worried when he didn't show up in the bar over time and locked himself inside his home drinking and mourned his wifes demise ...

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

I havent noticed anyone taking "delight" in this guys misfortune .

When he was on overstay , I have been to Bangkok four times to get a new passport and been on about 150 visa runs , whilst he choose not to .

He made his choice and I have done many 20 hour bus journeys and he hasnt  .

And its not really "misfortune" . as its solely his own doing   

Not that easy for someone working in the night and sleeping in the day … :whistling:

1 hour ago, from the home of CC said:

is that what is being reported?

From the opening sentence of the OP news report:

Banmuang reported that following complaints a team from Prachuap Khiri Khan immigration arrested a 50 year old British man by the name of Michael Gary Doyle on Thursday. 

Focus on the phrase... "following complaints"...  That's certainly what it would appear to have been that triggered the guy's arrest.

16 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

From the opening sentence of the OP news report:

Focus on the phrase... "following complaints"...  That's certainly what it would appear to have been that triggered the guy's arrest.

You could be right, wasn't blowing you up, just thought you might of had additional info. I tend to have some reservations on information passed on here..

14 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Isn't that the rational behind TM30/90 day crackdowns, they can now, in theory, keep better track of over-stayers. Stories like this validates immigration getting tougher,  

The guy should have kept up with immigration, but what a stunning achievement for Thai immigration! They busted an unassuming geezer who was harming no one, created no real problems, supported a Thai until she died, ran a business which no doubt employed Thai people. And then they parade him before the cameras as if he were John Dillinger. 

His passport expired in 2011. Why did he not ask for a new passport at the embassy ? Only explanation he is wanted in the UK for something. 

Studio_20190614_085307.png.f1c131fe1bcd4

1 hour ago, Benroon said:

eh ? You walked into the post office to send a letter and they asked you for your passport ? 

That make sense as to stay legal in Thailand you need a valid visa and if not valid you shouldn't be there and of the same reason you could not send any letter from Thailand … :thumbsup:

3 minutes ago, balo said:

His passport expired in 2011. Why did he not ask for a new passport at the embassy ? Only explanation he is wanted in the UK for something. 

Studio_20190614_085307.png.f1c131fe1bcd4

Not the only explanation - If he walked in at the UK Embassy in BKK and requested a New Passport without to have a valid visa would not have been the smartest to do … :thumbsup:

Archived