hi am from the uk,to quote scouse from a previous topic

"with effect from April, all those seeking indefinite leave will have to demonstrate that they have a sufficient knowledge of English and citizenship"

does anybody have an idea as to what type of test this maybe? regards.jim

Edited by jimbobalooba

Wow, I thought that was really hard. Especially the Q's about England.

Is there one for people who live in Scotland?

They ARE really hard, most of us i would suggest will fail at the first attempt.! I tried twice and failed both times, yet my old school reports suggest i am of at least average intellegance . The whole thing is of course a farce, someones attempt to harmonise all of us .Maybe good sentiments but in reality all it has become is another money making idea for the government, and yet another obstacle to people being with the ones they choose to be with in the UK.I expect most will pass eventually(out of neccessity, no other reason), but can anyone here seriously suggest that what they memorise for the test will not be immediately forgotten? So where was the point?

Wow, I thought that was really hard. Especially the Q's about England.

Is there one for people who live in Scotland?

They ARE really hard, most of us i would suggest will fail at the first attempt.! I tried twice and failed both times, yet my old school reports suggest i am of at least average intellegance . The whole thing is of course a farce, someones attempt to harmonise all of us .Maybe good sentiments but in reality all it has become is another money making idea for the government, and yet another obstacle to people being with the ones they choose to be with in the UK.I expect most will pass eventually(out of neccessity, no other reason), but can anyone here seriously suggest that what they memorise for the test will not be immediately forgotten? So where was the point?

I 100% concur. A total farce. I think just to have passed a certain level of English speaking, is adequate enough.

Like a lot of testing, it is just testing for testings sake.

Have I said the word testing enough in this post?

Not for me .. i would like you to say it one more time :o

DSK is quite testing, isn't he :D

The test is designed to achieve two ends.

1) The candidate can demonstrate some knowledge of the UK, it's traditions and institutions etc. Also, their rights and responsibilities as a resident/citizen.

2) The candidate can demonstrate that their English is of the required minimum standard. If it were not then they would not be able to understand the questions and so correctly answer them.

If someone's English is not good enough then they can take a combined ESOL and citizenship course instead.

Yes, some of the questions on the old test were a bit silly, but hopefully this will change when the new question bank comes into effect. It is also true that most British adults would struggle to pass, unless they did some study first!

As it says in What you need to know

Remember, you can find the answers to all these questions in the handbook.
Edited by GU22