Mango Sorbet

Mango Sorbet

You need:

1½ cups water

1½ cups white sugar

½ cup strained lime/lemon juice

3 large ripe mangoes

Method:

Place sugar and water in a small saucepan. Stir and bring to a boil then reduce heat, simmer 5 minutes. Set aside to cool to room temperature, then add ½ cup strained limejuice and refrigerate.

Peel the mangoes add the flesh and chilled syrup in a food processor and blitz until smooth. Pour into a metal pan (the larger the base the better). Freeze 1 hour.

Using a sturdy fork, break up ice to slushy consistency. (this is to stop large ice crystals forming) Repeat this step 3 times at one-hour intervals. Each time the sorbet will be firmer. After the last freeze, use an electric mixer, food processor, or whisk to get a good final texture. Pack in a storage container, cover, and freeze.

Other fruits can be used or a mix such as:-

Papaya & Mango

Pineapple & Mango

Melon & Lychee

Coconut

Orange

Strawberry

Never Tried Durian - let me know if it stills smells and tastes like death !!!!! :o

post-11711-1173734962_thumb.jpg

Wow, this sounds really good. I will try this next time I have guests.

Ps I think, by the sound of it, that any firm fruit would work well. How about banana?

Bananas work well in sorbet, but the best one I have ever made is

Pina-Calada

2 cups crushed pineapple

1/2 cup cream of coconut

1/4 cup dark rum

Aroy Aroy Mak Mak

Mango Sorbet

You need:

1½ cups water

1½ cups white sugar

3 large ripe mangoes

Method:

Place sugar and water in a small saucepan. Stir and bring to a boil then reduce heat, simmer 5 minutes. Set aside to cool to room temperature, then add ½ cup strained limejuice and refrigerate.

Peel the mangoes add the flesh and chilled syrup in a food processor and blitz until smooth. Pour into a metal pan (the larger the base the better). Freeze 1 hour.

Using a sturdy fork, break up ice to slushy consistency. (this is to stop large ice crystals forming) Repeat this step 3 times at one-hour intervals. Each time the sorbet will be firmer. After the last freeze, use an electric mixer, food processor, or whisk to get a good final texture. Pack in a storage container, cover, and freeze.

Papaya & Mango

Pineapple & Mango

Melon & Lychee

Coconut

Orange

Strawberry

Never Tried Durian - let me know if it stills smells and tastes like death !!!!! :o

Try this Sugar free Recipe great for Diabetics,

1x 450gramme tin of evaporated milk,

500 grammes of mango pulp ,

a large pinch of finely grated fresh ginger.

Put the unopened can of milk in a saucepan of cold water, bring water to the boil , and turn off immediately!! leave to cool over night. Put the cooked milk in mixer bowl and whisk until it has the consistancy of stiff cream , fold in mango pulp and grated ginger, put into moulds or into icecream cornets and freeze, before eating sprinkle with grated Carob. This recipe works with all soft fruits .Lass Gut Schmecken :D Nignoy

Sounds very simple, although I am not convinced it is sugar free. Maybe sugar reduced but definitely not free
Its a recommended recipe from Diabetes Australia, plenty more where that one came from :o Nignoy

:o Just sampled it. Made the original and reduced the sugar to half a cup, although with the sweetness of the mangos I reckon I could have omitted it altogether. Will try the recipe with pineapple next. Durian will never darken my doorstep again. :D

• 2 weeks later...

OK tried this the other day.. Went down so well my missus is insisting on me making lots more..

Really though the above was so sweet it made my teeth hurt.. If I substitute other fruits and foods will it work without the sugar / syrup ??

Just trying to understand what makes it go sorbet-like instead of ice like.. Cant just be the breaking it up process as the above recipie was making a paste type solution as it froze.

Reckon that cream coconut that comes in the cartons would be an ideal experiment.

• 7 months later...
Mango Sorbet

You need:

1½ cups water

1½ cups white sugar

3 large ripe mangoes

Method:

Sounds great, I am a diabetic but I love the big yellow mangoes which are so sweet anyway, does the sugar do anything but sweeten

Papaya & Mango

Pineapple & Mango

Melon & Lychee

Coconut

Orange

Strawberry