Joe Biden under fire from rivals for remarks about civility with segregationists

webfact

Joe Biden under fire from rivals for remarks about civility with segregationists

By Ginger Gibson

2019-06-19T202142Z_1_LYNXNPEF5I27P_RTROPTP_4_USA-ELECTION-BIDEN-TRUMP.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Democratic 2020 U.S. presidential candidate and former Vice President Joe Biden speaks at an event at the Mississippi Valley Fairgrounds in Davenport, Iowa, U.S. June 11, 2019. REUTERS/Jordan Gale

(Editors note: This story contains language that some may find offensive in paragraph 17)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Former Vice President Joe Biden came under sharp criticism from some of his Democratic presidential rivals on Wednesday for remarks he made this week about his time working civilly with segregationists serving in the Senate in the 1970s.

U.S. Senator Cory Booker, who is also seeking the Democratic nomination, called on Biden to apologise.

"Frankly, I’m disappointed that he hasn’t issued an immediate apology for the pain his words are dredging up for many Americans. He should," Booker, who is black, said in a statement.

The criticism exposed bubbling racial and generational tensions within the Democratic field that is the most diverse in history. Biden, 76, is leading in early opinion polls in the crowded Democratic contest to take on Republican President Donald Trump in the November 2020 election.

At a fundraiser in Potomac, Maryland, a suburb of Washington, Biden did not apologise for his remarks of the previous day or directly address the controversy.

As he has done at other events, Biden cited the civil rights movement as an inspiration for his political career and called civil rights leader the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. a personal "hero."

Biden's campaign said he was not endorsing the positions of the segregationists he named but using them as an example of someone with whom he disagreed.

"And I think anyone who served with Joe Biden, you know, whether it was in the Senate or whether they worked with him during his eight years as Barack Obama's vice president, knows that this is a man who is committed to equality and civil rights in this country," Anita Dunn, a senior Biden aide, told MSNBC.

"The point of the story is that you have to be able to work with people, even if they hold positions repugnant to you in order to make some progress," Dunn added. "Senator Biden took on Jim Eastland in the Judiciary Committee over the Voting Rights Act and he won."

'WE GOT THINGS DONE'

At issue are Biden's remarks at a New York fundraiser for his presidential campaign on Tuesday night.

Biden said U.S. leaders had lost the ability to work together. He pointed to two segregationists from the South who were serving in the Senate when he was first elected - Democratic Senators James Eastland of Mississippi and Herman Talmadge of Georgia.

Eastland described black people as inferior and fought against efforts to desegregate the South. When Biden joined the U.S. Senate in 1973, he and fellow Democrat Eastland served on the same committee.

"At least there was some civility. We got things done. We didn’t agree on much of anything. We got things done. We got it finished," Biden said, according to a pool report distributed by his campaign. "But today, you look at the other side and you’re the enemy. Not the opposition, the enemy. We don't talk to each other anymore.”

New York Mayor Bill de Blasio, who is also seeking the Democratic nomination, criticized Biden's remarks.

"It's past time for apologies or evolution from @JoeBiden," de Blasio wrote on Twitter. "He repeatedly demonstrates that he is out of step with the values of the modern Democratic Party."

De Blasio called out Biden for invoking Eastland, posting a photo of himself on Twitter with his wife, who is black, and his two multiracial children.

"It’s 2019 & @JoeBiden is longing for the good old days of 'civility' typified by James Eastland. Eastland thought my multiracial family should be illegal & that whites were entitled to 'the pursuit of dead n*ggers,'" de Blasio wrote on Twitter.

Booker also criticized Biden for his use of the word "boy" - a term that was frequently used by racists to demean black men.

While describing Eastland, Biden said: "He never called me boy, he always called me son.”

Booker said it was inappropriate to "joke about calling black men boys."

"Vice President Biden’s relationships with proud segregationists are not the model for how we make America a safer and more inclusive place for black people, and for everyone," Booker said.

Another Democratic candidate, former congressman John Delaney, offered a more restrained criticism.

"Evoking an avowed segregationist is not the best way to make the point that we need to work together and is insensitive. We need to learn from history, but we also need to be aggressive in dismantling structural racism that exists today," Delaney said in a statement.

(Reporting by Ginger Gibson; Additional reporting by James Oliphant in Washington; Editing by Bill Berkrot and Peter Cooney)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-06-20

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

He probably won't live that long. If he does he dealt with old school racists and he is apologetic about being white.

It's kind of weird referencing Biden's  mortality when he' only 3 years older than Trump, and unlike Trump, is not obese. Doublethink much?

2 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

It's kind of weird referencing Biden's  mortality when he' only 3 years older than Trump, and unlike Trump, is not obese. Doublethink much?

Look at his physical appearance. He won't last long now anyway as the left is throwing him under the bus. Are you really this ignorant?

So, I'm a merchant seaman. I was in the ammo holds working with a mostly black deck crew. The Mate comes down to see how the work is going. He's a young mid 20's white mate, he says "how's it going boys"

after the Mate left you should have heard the <deleted> from the guys because the Mate used the term "boys" He meant nothing by it but you'd have thought the Mate said something derogatory.

That's the world we still live in.

8 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

he dealt with old school racists

I want a president who knows how to deal with racists.  Sure beats having a president who is an actual racist.

8 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

and he is apologetic about being white.

This is in reference to what?  Here's what I can find in the OP about Biden and apologies:

"I’m disappointed that he hasn’t issued an immediate apology"

"Biden did not apologise for his remarks"

Well if they can dredge up something from the 70s we all including mr Biden have grown oh yea that’s right he was Obama’s vice pres wasent he?i think Obama was black if I’m not mistaken ha ha pretty pathetic lol and he was trying to reach across the isle to get something done sorry don’t think it will be a big deal lol just pathetic the trump supporters are desperate 

Just now, Tug said:

Well if they can dredge up something from the 70s we all including mr Biden have grown oh yea that’s right he was Obama’s vice pres wasent he?i think Obama was black if I’m not mistaken ha ha pretty pathetic lol and he was trying to reach across the isle to get something done sorry don’t think it will be a big deal lol just pathetic the trump supporters are desperate 

The Dems dredge up stuff daily. Biden is a dinosaur and serial loser and many Dems don't like him. If they are not careful they will get Trump reelected. They need a fresh, younger, dynamic leader. Get rid of Pellosi, Shumer and Waters for a start. 

1 minute ago, Tug said:

That would be a great tragedy for our nation I deeply hope you are wrong for my country and the planet

Biden has the best chance. You would think if anybody hates Trump that it would be good enough. You could re-adjust 2024. The most idiotic and self absorbed wing of the democratic party doesn't tolerate it. Good luck in 2024 this election is already lost because of narcists such as AOC,'

5 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

The Dems dredge up stuff daily. Biden is a dinosaur and serial loser and many Dems don't like him. If they are not careful they will get Trump reelected. They need a fresh, younger, dynamic leader. Get rid of Pellosi, Shumer and Waters for a start. 

That is how it is. Well said.

Just now, bristolboy said:

When you've got nothing, resort to predictions.

Well I see CNN and the rest doing that daily, just like in 2016, and you know what happened then. Lots videos on YouTube with their 'predictions'.

3 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

Well I see CNN and the rest doing that daily, just like in 2016, and you know what happened then. Lots videos on YouTube with their 'predictions'.

But repeatedly resorting to predictions of victory in discussions of various issue is just empty. Which is their value since they can't be proved or disproved.

2 minutes ago, attrayant said:

"Serial loser" based on what?  Did he declare bankruptcy six times?

Errm you didn't realize he ran for POTUS in 1988?   (lost due to stealing Neil Kinnocks speech)

2008? (gained 1% of Iowa caucus vote - came in 5th)

and now 2020?

6 minutes ago, attrayant said:

"Serial loser" based on what?  Did he declare bankruptcy six times?

Hey I thought Donald was the victim lol and you forgot to mention he got 400 mil from daddy and tryed to rob the dude on his death bed that Donald is a real piece of work lol

But he didn't have the gift of Donald Trump as a potential opponent.

That's true he just stole other peoples speeches. Still if Dems think this serial loser is the best they have got... he might win who know's?  what a choice  ????

2 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

That's true he just stole other peoples speeches. Still if Dems think this serial loser is the best they have got... he might win who know's?  what a choice  ????

If you're trying to claim that the sins of Joe Biden come anywhere close to those of Donald Trump, you're going to have a really tough time making that a convincing argument.

Just now, attrayant said:

How many times did he run for president in 1988?

1988, 2008, 2020  

Series

noun

1. 1.
    a number of events, objects, or people of a similar or related kind coming one after another.
    "the explosion was the latest in a series of accidents"
    synonyms: sequence, succession, string, chain, concatenation, train, run, chapter, round, progression, procession; More

If you're trying to claim that the sins of Joe Biden come anywhere close to those of Donald Trump, you're going to have a really tough time making that a convincing argument.

When did I say that? I mention why he lost in 1988. I made no comparison you just deflect.

1 minute ago, BobBKK said:

When did I say that? I mention why he lost in 1988. I made no comparison you just deflect.

I was just pointing out that it's not going to carry much weight given the reality of Trump's massive dishonesty. And while stealing the speeches of others is wrong, what concerns me more is whether the contents of those speeches support good or bad policies.

2 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

1988, 2008, 2020  

Series

noun

1. 1.
    a number of events, objects, or people of a similar or related kind coming one after another.
    "the explosion was the latest in a series of accidents"
    synonyms: sequence, succession, string, chain, concatenation, train, run, chapter, round, progression, procession; More

Oh, did he lose in 2020?  I tried to find a Wiki article on that but it's mysteriously absent. And in 1988 he didn't lose, he withdrew.

Wow if this is the best you guys can do, I'll be feeling pretty good about Biden even though he is not my preferred candidate.  

Archived