Farmer finds 140 UXOs in Siem Reap

geovalin

A farmer found more than 100 UXOs while driving a tractor to plough his rice field in Siem Reap province on Monday. Colonel Sun Eng, Svay Loeu district police chief, said 45-year-old farmer Ken Kay was driving a tractor to plough his rice field located in Khna Krao village in Kantuot commune when he found the 140 UXOs.

“After Mr Kay found them, he contacted police officers and they told CMAC officials in Siem Reap to collect them,” Col Eng said, noting that CMAC officials have destroyed the UXOs. Col Eng noted that the UXOs were remnants from the civil war between government troops and the Khmer Rouge.

“Please, we urge that people alert police officers or authorities when they find any UXOs or mines, and please do not touch them,” Col Eng said. Heng Ratana, director-general of Cambodian Mine Action Centre, could not be reached for comment yesterday.

read more https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50615776/farmer-finds-140-uxos-in-siem-reap/

It just goes to show how dangerous it can still be in Cambodia if you stray from established "safe" tourist areas, roads and paths. It is estimated there are still four to six million UXO (land mines) littering the countryside, especially in the border regions (ref: CMAC - Cambodia Mines Action Committee)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, neeray said:

Small wonder that Cambo cozied up to China and not USA.

Col Eng noted that the UXOs were remnants from the civil war between government troops and the Khmer Rouge.

I didn't know Americans were Khmer Rouge.  Must have been a good disguise.  

3 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Col Eng noted that the UXOs were remnants from the civil war between government troops and the Khmer Rouge.

I didn't know Americans were Khmer Rouge.  Must have been a good disguise.  

You got me !!!!! I commented on a yesterday post without going back for a review.

It's okay, I'll kick my own ass now.