New laws target people in Thailand who smoke at home

webfact

4 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

Let me start by saying I am a none smoker, having said this I do agree with the above comment, this law is stupid and unenforceable, as also stated above within confined spaces smoking should be banned but lets be a little bit sensible when placing restrictions......

Unenforceable yes...unless the next step is that all smokers will be required to install, at their own expense of course, police security cameras...or smokers will have to 'register'...I'm not really serious about those alternatives, just thinking aloud. I am a non smoker and I guess a leaning towards 'anti-addiction' since most smokers are addicted to it. Having said that, there was a time when smoking cigarettes was almost 'advertised' as the adult thing to do...movies of the last century are witness to that. If the Thai government (may others too) really wanted to stop any ill health from smoking why not just ban it altogether...give smokers the option of 'treatment'. After that they could start on sugar confectionery then....ha! No I guess not, too much money involved in the industry. Some on the forum have mentioned the air pollution, a valid point I agree with... and the authorities can start with the family a couple of houses from me. Once or twice a week they collect all their (many) dog excreta, pour petrol on it and set it on fire. First the petrol fumes but the smog that comes after that...

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They should enforce smoking in bars too, the times I have had to move to prevent some ignorant <deleted> gassing me and especially where food is... I am not a holier than though person but it really does annoy me...I don't want to be choked on their filthy habit

57 minutes ago, BadSpottedDog said:

I know a woman who is addicted to yaba, and has a one year old baby. She is abusive and police have been called multiple times. They do nothing. Apparently, if there is a law on the books in Thailand, it may or may not be enforced. Make rules and be consistent. 

As for health ... education is the key!! Teach the people about junk food and sugar and burning and littering ... etc etc. 

And ban children from eating sweets,drinking Cole's they can be all health problems . Noise is another health problem, what is being done abou tthat. World Health Organisation class noise at a health problem. Such as unregulated vehicle noise..motor cycles with modified silent systems to make as much noise as possible. And badly maintained cars.

Of course unenforceable but it might help increase social pressure on smokers not to smoke in front of children or even in doors. My brother was a heavy smoker for years and didn't mind who was in the room but a decade or so ago he suddenly decided that it was obnoxious to smoke in his own home, even if the kids were not there.  He has kept the habit of smoking outside ever since. I think it is the growing awareness that has an effect on him and others and hopefully this law might help.

You have to look at the bigger picture here.

Guess who is paying for smokers-related illnesses that arise in the future? Who pays for the hospital stays for months on end to get treated, who pays for the oxygen and wheelchairs needed because they need tubes down there lungs to help breath?

That's right the NON-smokers pay threw there government/medicare taxes.

Here in Australia, it cost 320 million a year of health care for smoking-related illness and its non-smokers taxes are going to treat these people.

The government decided years ago to whack the prices up so much on smokes so that part of that money goes back into the medical system to help treat their self inflicted illness, and it's a good deterrent.

Tens of thousands have given up. The cost of cigarettes is around $50.00 pack or(over one dollar a cigerette) here. 

I was in a bar last night where they like to attract customers of the Japanese, Korean variety by giving them ash trays and letting them smoke. Presumably that is included in their monthly payment to the cops. It was a nasty trip down memory lane to the bad old days where bars were always full of smoke.  Naturally I settled the bill as fast as I could when I smelled the cigarette and explained to the staff the reason for my sudden departure. 

The few exceptions to the rule like this make one realise how effectively Thailand, despite its abundant corruption and lack of rule of law, has in fact managed to enforce its no smoking laws.

Talk the talk.

But no walk the walk.

Pattaya beach road is classic. 

No smoking or trash free beaches signposts, are everywhere. 

Walk past the police station and police bikes on the pavement. 

Red lights ignored. 

The BIB are having the odd fag outside the station. 

Smoking is still happening on the beach. 

Drinks are still sold and consumed on the beach..

7/11 sells grog even after 2pm.

Come night time and ladies services a plenty on offer. 

But police couldn't see anything wrong with Walking street when they all visited on masse and in uniform..

Don't need to point out any nationalities.

You can see it for yourself..

This Is Thailand.. at its best. 

17 minutes ago, geoff65 said:

You have to look at the bigger picture here.

Guess who is paying for smokers-related illnesses that arise in the future? Who pays for the hospital stays for months on end to get treated, who pays for the oxygen and wheelchairs needed because they need tubes down there lungs to help breath?

Here in Australia, it cost 320 million a year of health care for smoking-related illness and its non-smokers taxes are going to treat these people.

The government decided years ago to whack the prices up so much on smokes so that part of that money goes back into the medical system to help treat their self inflicted illness, and it's a good deterrent.

Tens of thousands have given up. The cost of cigarettes is around $50.00 pack or(over one dollar a cigerette) here. 

Not in Thailand and as this thread is about Thailand your post is nowhere near 'on topic'.

43 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:

What low level places are you people eating or drinking at.

I have not seen anyone light up a cigarette in a restaurant or bar in Bangkok since the new smoking laws were introduced in 2008.

The new law is relating to homes not restaurants . Band smoking in restaurants is a past thing.

20 hours ago, sharpjwe said:

This to protect the children 

how can parents poison their own offspring 

good law for sure 

You mean the parents who want to smoke should not have children? Or can they have them adopted while they smoke?

7 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:

And I'm commenting on the posters who insist that they are currently suffering from people lighting up in Thai bars & restaurants.

Well that's against the law .The restaurant owner is at fault.

4 minutes ago, tingtongtourist said:

Another convenient excuse for Thai Insurance companies to not pay out?

any lung, respiratory problem, just send police around, bust any one smoke in the house and like magic...claim cancelled.

to easy! 

And MC without a helmet are not insured but the insurance company don't point that out until they come to claiming.

What a laugh like most thai laws try removing the 40 yr old  diesel buses of the road the general filth on the streets the polluted canels and why not ban the charcoal burning street food as that is far more toxic then 2nd hand cifgertte smoke. 

I smoke but not indoors or if I'm in public I smoke in the correct  areas just look at them law the brought in 6 months ago about smoking 5 m from any building aha that's not inforced at all ! 

It won't happen impossible to control 

It would be great when the Tuk Tuks would be smokeless, the buses without blue and black fumes coming out of the exhaust, but we're not living in a perfect world. 

And the cancer producing factories in Rayong and elsewhere in this beautiful country, can continue killing people with their dangerous particles, while farmers can continue to poison us with pesticides that are banned worldwide. 

Does that all make any sense? Not for me anymore. 

Archived