Is it worth going for the tourist visa for UK?

Hello everyone, 

I am happy there is a forum with people that are in love with Thailand. 

I am an EU national who lived in the UK for the past 10 years. I've met an amazing girl in in January, met her family in April and will go to see her again in 2 weeks. 

She lives with her family at the moment but will find a job soon after I leave. 

My initial plan was to wait for her until she worked for 4 months and then apply for a tourist visa.

I spoke to an immigration lawyer here in UK and he told me that even if she does have a job her chance of getting the visa are very slim given she is quite young (22). He also told me that the only option I have is to marry her, take her to my home country, get a residence permit there and then apply for UK spouse visa. 

This would be really difficult for me for many and also because we only know each for 6 month and I feel like I need more time before deciding to marry her. The tourist visa was an awesome idea because she could have seen how life in UK is and see how things go. 

MY plan was to apply sometime in November and I want to start getting ready but now I am really confused.

What are your thoughts ?

This is the same answer I have just given somebody else with a couple of additions.

I had only known my girlfriend for four months when she applied for a visit visa and she got it without any problems.

Without knowing your individual circumstances it's impossible to know if she is likely to get the visa. How much information did you give the immigration lawyer for him/her to tell you that she was unlikely to get it?

If you insist on using a visa agent don't go near an agent that is not OISC accredited. If you use an agent you will still need to do 90% of the work as most of it is gathering information. With the help of the people on this forum it's fairly straightforward.

If you are her sponsor she will need to prove that you are a couple in a genuine relationship, show that you have sufficient funds to pay for the trip and your girlfriend will need to show that she will return to Thailand at the end of the trip. You will also need to show that there is somewhere for her to stay. It might be at your place, it might be hotels etc, depending on your plans when she gets here.

Any reason why you don't want her to visit your home country?

I share RASG's concerns over the advice given by your "Immigration Lawyer", did you consult a lawyer or an advisor, whilst all those acting as Immigration need to be registered with the OISC, it's illegal to act as an advisor in the UK if your not registered, not all lawyers require registration.

I'm also surprised that you were advised that even if your girlfriend had a job and could demonstrate reasons to return that she would be unlikely to be granted a visa, that simply isn't the case, and certainly not because she's only 22, though it does depend what you told the "lawyer", for instance if she'd been in employment for four months and was intending to visit the UK for an extended period, I'm talking a month or more, that might bring her reasons into return into question.

There are so many variables, including, as I say, the length of her intended stay, your status in the UK, are you affected by Brexit with the removal of free movement?

Thank you for your replies. 

The immigration lawyer I saw is an acquaintance and may have not been the best choice but I wanted to get some guidance on what to do next. 

The best solution would be for her to get a tourist visa so she can come visit UK for about 20 days and see what she how she feels about it's definitely a different culture. I have an indefinite leave to remain so will not be affected by Brexit if we do crash out on the 31 October. I also work in the security industry and I am on the enhaced DBS record so i think from my side it shouldn't be an issue. 

It's not that I don't want her visiting my home country but since I no longer live there or plan on moving back I don't see the point; i'd rather she come's to Uk and the sort of decide if we can have a future together or not. 

@rasg  you managed to get your girlfriend a visa in 4 months after meeting her; well done. Do you mind if I ask what was she doing at the time for work? I think this is the most important criteria?

It's her side that is a problem. She supports herself but I do send her money occasionally to help out. She is really comitted to get a job but probably will a normal one like a cashier or waitress etc not something very prestigious because she doesn't have high qualifications. 

I am not sure about using an agent and I found a lot of useful information here but I wanted to get a better perspective before applying and be safe not sorry! 

Thanks again everyone!

Just to add to the very good advice here.  If you use an agent, and I advise that you do,  I recommend that you use one here In Thailand.  You can get in touch with a good Bangkok agent online.  They have all the connections with VFS here, who make the first determination.  They can also arrange the paperwork to best effect. Be prepared to have it refused the first time, especially if the young lady has only recently started a job, but persist and you may get lucky a second time. 

• Sad 1

"They have all the connections with VFS here, who make the first determination". 

Sorry that is totally wrong. VFS have no input into the visa decision,they are a glorified post box who take the papers and forward them to British Embassy visa section(wherever they may be based) .Anyone in VFS who says they can influence the granting of a visa is a liar.

• Like 2

hailand when

8 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Just to add to the very good advice here.  If you use an agent, and I advise that you do,  I recommend that you use one here In Thailand.  You can get in touch with a good Bangkok agent online.  They have all the connections with VFS here, who make the first determination.  They can also arrange the paperwork to best effect. Be prepared to have it refused the first time, especially if the young lady has only recently started a job, but persist and you may get lucky a second time. 

The idea that VFS has any sway over the decision is plain daft and untrue. VFS collect the information from you and send it by scanning it to the decision in India where the decision is made.

8 hours ago, ruedecascades said:

The immigration lawyer I saw is an acquaintance and may have not been the best choice but I wanted to get some guidance on what to do next. 

The best solution would be for her to get a tourist visa so she can come visit UK for about 20 days and see what she how she feels about it's definitely a different culture. I have an indefinite leave to remain so will not be affected by Brexit if we do crash out on the 31 October. I also work in the security industry and I am on the enhaced DBS record so i think from my side it shouldn't be an issue. 

It's not that I don't want her visiting my home country but since I no longer live there or plan on moving back I don't see the point; i'd rather she come's to Uk and the sort of decide if we can have a future together or not. 

@rasg  you managed to get your girlfriend a visa in 4 months after meeting her; well done. Do you mind if I ask what was she doing at the time for work? I think this is the most important criteria?

It's her side that is a problem. She supports herself but I do send her money occasionally to help out. She is really comitted to get a job but probably will a normal one like a cashier or waitress etc not something very prestigious because she doesn't have high qualifications. 

I am not sure about using an agent and I found a lot of useful information here but I wanted to get a better perspective before applying and be safe not sorry! 

She was the restaurant manager at the hotel I visited but that is pretty irrelevant as far as getting a visit visa is concerned. A job to return to is one of the best reasons to return. Having kids or owning a motorbike don't really have any bearing on whether a visit visa will be issued. Sending money to her in Thailand can have a detrimental effect on her getting a visit visa if she is heavily reliant on that money. Without a source of income other than you an ECO will wonder why she would return to Thailand when she is closer that source by being in the UK with you. I would suggest that she gets a job asap and waits a good few months before applying for a visa. An ECO will be unlikely to believe that she would get a long holiday from a company if she has only just started working for a new company.  

5 hours ago, rasg said:

hailand when

The idea that VFS has any sway over the decision is plain daft and untrue. VFS collect the information from you and send it by scanning it to the decision in India where the decision is made.

She was the restaurant manager at the hotel I visited but that is pretty irrelevant as far as getting a visit visa is concerned. A job to return to is one of the best reasons to return. Having kids or owning a motorbike don't really have any bearing on whether a visit visa will be issued. Sending money to her in Thailand can have a detrimental effect on her getting a visit visa if she is heavily reliant on that money. Without a source of income other than you an ECO will wonder why she would return to Thailand when she is closer that source by being in the UK with you. I would suggest that she gets a job asap and waits a good few months before applying for a visa. An ECO will be unlikely to believe that she would get a long holiday from a company if she has only just started working for a new company.  

you are wrong about VFS, as many have found out to their cost. 

Just now, ThaiBunny said:

Any specific details?

One example.  We applied for my Wife's parents to come to the UK for a visit,  we submitted the documentation and the application was refused by VFS, no specific reason given and they would not respond to enquires.  Just said apply again.  As I had a contact in the UK Embassy, I contacted them and after consideration, the decision was reversed by an Official in the Consular Department. There was nothing wrong with the paperwork. VFS work to targets and allocations given by the UK Consular Service and if you fall foul of them, it gets refused. A local agent can somehow get around or work within the constraints.   

1 minute ago, Pilotman said:

One example.  We applied for my Wife's parents to come to the UK for a visit,  we submitted the documentation and the application was refused by VFS, no specific reason given and they would not respond to enquires.  Just said apply again.  As I had a contact in the UK Embassy, I contacted them and after consideration, the decision was reversed by an Official in the Consular Department. There was nothing wrong with the paperwork. VFS work to targets and allocations given by the UK Consular Service and if you fall foul of them, it gets refused. A local agent can somehow get around or work within the constraints.   

Or to put it another way, VFS as the agent received the original application and sent it on to the British Embassy who are the only ones with the power to make a decision. They rejected the application and communicated their decision to VFS who then told you. You subsequently appealed the decision via the Old Pals Act to the same section within the Embassy who had originally rejected the application and another consular official decided to allow the application

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

Or to put it another way, VFS as the agent received the original application and sent it on to the British Embassy who are the only ones with the power to make a decision. They rejected the application and communicated their decision to VFS who then told you. You subsequently appealed the decision via the Old Pals Act to the same section within the Embassy who had originally rejected the application and another consular official decided to allow the application

It doesn't matter a jot what the process was behind the decision, which I guess is a guess by you, the fact is that is what happened. Being a pedant doesn't add to the sum of knowledge about the process.  An agent can get around or otherwise assist a great deal with that process, that is the point I am making for the OP.  

12 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

It doesn't matter a jot what the process was behind the decision, which I guess is a guess by you, the fact is that is what happened. Being a pedant doesn't add to the sum of knowledge about the process.  An agent can get around or otherwise assist a great deal with that process, that is the point I am making for the OP.  

You are talking nonsense. As the VFS site itself states "VFS Global does not play any part in the decision-making process behind visa applications being granted or denied." They act as processing agents for 62 governments across the world. As for an agent "getting around" things that's entirely a claim made by agents. The only proof would be an application submitted to VFS direct and rejected and the exact same application submitted by an agent and approved

https://www.vfsglobal.com/en/governments/about.html

Edited by ThaiBunny

6 hours ago, Pilotman said:

An agent can get around or otherwise assist a great deal with that process, that is the point I am making for the OP.  

100% bs. Sorry. The majority of the visa companies, certainly in Thailand, can actually hinder an visa application with poor advice.

44 minutes ago, rasg said:

100% bs. Sorry. The majority of the visa companies, certainly in Thailand, can actually hinder an visa application with poor advice.

whatever mate, believe what you like.