Iran executes ex-employee of defence ministry on charges of spying for U.S.: agency

rooster59

Iran executes ex-employee of defence ministry on charges of spying for U.S.: agency

GENEVA (Reuters) - Iran executed a former contract employee for the aerospace organization of the defence ministry in recent days on charges of spying for the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency, the IRIB news agency reported on Saturday.

Jalal Hajizavar had left his post nine years ago and was convicted by a military court after an investigation which discovered documents and spying equipment at his home, the report said.

He was executed at the Rajai Shahr prison in Karaj, west of Tehran, without providing further details.

(Reporting By Babak Dehghanpisheh; Editing by Gareth Jones)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-06-23

14 minutes ago, Basil B said:

Trump is already at war with Iran, I doubt 150 Iranian lives was the real reason he changed his mind the other day.

Could be right there. More likely their cyber strike was a complete failure or just a nonsense and any strike on Iran would have unleashed many missiles that they could not simply bring down.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

Could be right there. More likely their cyber strike was a complete failure or just a nonsense and any strike on Iran would have unleashed many missiles that they could not simply bring down.

I would expect any attack by the Americans would bring Tehran to its knees within hours without even landing a single American in the country, Iran probably has missiles that can bring down incoming American ones, but I doubt they could be 100% efficient and they would have enough for the ones that America has at its disposal, America would probably target Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) bases, communications, gas and oil pipelines, and ports.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Basil B said:

Trump is already at war with Iran, I doubt 150 Iranian lives was the real reason he changed his mind the other day.

I think it was because Iranian 'proof' that the U.S. drone was shot down in Iran's air space was a bit too convincing and Trump couldn't get a single ally to back him. This is not all Trump's fault. Some blame falls on Bush getting allies to back him on Iraq through the use of bogus intelligence. Trump was probably on the phone up to the last minutes trying to make a deal.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Basil B said:

I would expect any attack by the Americans would bring Tehran to its knees within hours without even landing a single American in the country, Iran probably has missiles that can bring down incoming American ones, but I doubt they could be 100% efficient and they would have enough for the ones that America has at its disposal, America would probably target Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) bases, communications, gas and oil pipelines, and ports.

"you break it, you own it" and "pandoras box" are 2 terms based upon the school of hard knocks learned from toppling middle east government, generally the net result is a situation far worse than while ruled by the normal "iron fist" governments.

• Like 1