Survivors found two days after deadly building collapse

geovalin

Sihanoukville, Preah Sihanouk province – As rescue teams began wrapping up their efforts here yesterday, hundreds of onlookers watched in amazement as two more victims of the deadly building collapse were found buried alive under the rubble. At about 4pm, a frenzy of movement overtook the rescue teams as they located the victims, who had been buried alive for more than two days.

As he was pulled out from the rubble, victim Kak Kea, 17, repeatedly thanked his rescuers, struggling to find words in the aftermath of his ordeal. “I am alive because I ate milled rice in a bag that I had kept for cooking,” he told a throng of reporters and onlookers.

Rescue workers prepare to remove two victims of the collapse from the debris yesterday. Sihanoukville Police. Sihanoukville Police
Sadly, two others found with the surviving victims were dead, bringing the total death toll to 28; nearly 30 construction workers have been rescued from the debris following the collapse at about 4am on Saturday. Yun Min, the provincial governor at the time of the collapse, noted that the building did not have proper permits for construction and has since resigned from his position in shame for failing to properly manage the booming construction sector in his jurisdiction.

read more https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50617452/survivors-found-two-days-after-deadly-building-collapse/

Archived