Which bank and branch in BKK will 100% open an account for me?

I currently have an account for many years with Bangkok Bank, at their Thalang, Phuket branch.  I rely on this account, their online banking and my ATM card for all my day-to-day banking needs. Now I live in north Thailand.

It occurs to me that all my eggs are in one basket, so to speak. If my ATM card were eaten by an ATM machine, it would create a major headache for me.  I really need to open a second bank account.

Having met the usual refusals by my local bank branches to open an account for me, (cannot, you are a foreigner; cannot, you do not have a work permit), I will be in BKK in the next few weeks and would like to open a THB savings account (with ATM debit card and online banking).

Can anyone suggest a bank and the specific branch that will do this?  My time in BKK will be short, so the advice "just keep trying different branches until you find one that will do this" isn't really helpful ????

1 hour ago, simon43 said:

Now I live in north Thailand.

I live in nor North too Sukhothai, any of the banks will let you open another bank account if you want and can show a monthly payment to be paid into it or you have a lump sum in your hand to deposit.

I have 2 Bangkok bank accounts, my 5 year DL as proof of address and passport with non 'O' and 1 year extensions was enough.

• Like 1

i would try a bank around Sukhumvit area; i know a few guys who have opened accounts at the Bangkok Bank branch between soi 8 and 10 on Sukhumvit, without issue. Also the smaller branch on soi 11 next to the Ambassador hotel seems to be eager to get farang customers.

A few years ago an officer of Bangkok Bank told me that a number of branches were designated to be foreigner friendly eg they had staff who spoke English and were happy to open deposit accounts for foreigners. I dont remember the full list of the ones he told me about but i know the Nana branch i mentioned above was one. Also the branch on the ground floor of Emporium. Although I dont have an account at the Emporium branch, I use it regularly, and i have always found the staff there to be helpful and professional. 

I have lost 2/3 ATM cards over the years and have never had a problem getting a new one, i thought you could get a new ATM card at any Bangkok Bank branch.

Edited by wordchild

11 minutes ago, ballbreaker said:

Since you have a current Bangkok Bank and you will be in Bangkok I would go to main branch for Bangkok Bank.  Its located on Silom road between Soi 3 & 5.  About 300 hundred meters from Sala Daeng Bts Station.

I think the OP wants to open another account at a different bank, which is a good idea, as he says he needs to spread his funds, not 'all eggs in one basket'.

A few months back I inquired about having 2 internet banking facilities with both BBL and K bank. Very clear quick answer, same answer both banks, customer can only have 1 internet banking facility at any bank. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1