Johnson warns EU against any 'Napoleonic' tariffs in no-deal Brexit

snoop1130

48 % wanted to remain. 

A kind of conservative/traditionalist approach (it wasn't not that bad, so why change).

52 % wanted to leave. 

A kind of audacious/reckless approach, (we don't know absolutely, but we are convinced it will be better). 

Sure, except some misfits, on both sides, the majority of both parties want the wellness of the nation, albeit in a different way. 

The Remainers now are afraid of the future. 

Over-reacting? 

The Leavers are self-assured.

Cocky? 

22 minutes ago, bannork said:

It beats me how they can hold a referendum with no details. Leave with what agreements, deals?

A stupid referendum.

So after 3 years Johnson is prepared to leave with no deals. Well let's see if the public agree with that by holding another referendum.

More democracy then. :cheesy:

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, transam said:

It seems you still don't understand what the vote was for......????

To remind you, OUT the EU.......YES or NO....

Stop being obtuse, vintage warbler of Pichit. There was no mention of out with no trade deals.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sanemax said:

It was stated quite clearly by David  Cameroon that leave meant completely leaving and that if the UK wanted to join a common market or free trade deals or whatever, the Uk would have to do that after we had left 

David Cameron was not a Leave supporter nor campaigner.

In fact, he was a prominent Remainer, so, as I said, any such warnings from him would have been, and were, dismissed by Leave and it's supporters as Project Fear.

25 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Indeed, the ballot paper did basically say that.

But the majority of those who voted did so based upon what had been said by each side in the campaign.

Leave's campaign made little or no mention of the economic effects of Brexit, no mention of the loss of free trade with the EU; no mention of the UK no longer being part of the EU's trade deals with the rest of the world: no mention that a no deal Brexit meant trading with everyone of WTO terms alone until we could negotiate deals with the |EU and others; no mention of the dire economic effects, job losses etc. a no deal Brexit would have.

Whenever a Remain campaigner did mention any of the above, Leave simply repeated their mantra 'Project Fear' as if that were some magic spell which would save us from our own folly.

But as you have claimed elsewhere that you paid no heed to any campaigning during the run rup to the referendum, you wont have known any of that!

The conditions which Remain, and many Brexiteers, want to apply retrospectively are contained in the deal we negotiate with the EU; whether it be May's deal or a new one. 

As Parliament has refused to agree to any such deal for MP's personal gain and party political reasons, many, myself included, believe that the issue should be put back to the people.

Accept the deal on offer, whatever it may be, or leave with no deal, or cancel the whole thing and remain.

Voters allowed to vote for their first and second preference. If no choice has 50% plus 1 of the votes then remove the option with the fewest votes and allocate the second choice on those papers accordingly.

You and other Brexiteers bang on about democracy, but are terrified of giving the people the ultimate democratic right to make this final decision; why?

Well, the answer's obvious!

Yes, obvious, we were given our ultimate democratic right 3 years ago...and used it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Yes, obvious, we were given our ultimate democratic right 3 years ago...and used it.

As the consequences of Brexit, particularly a no deal Brexit, which Leave succeeded in hiding in 2016 have in the intervening years become more and more apparent to the general population. the democratic option must be to let us make the final decision. 

Especially as MPs are playing party political football with this vital issue, or even worse, using it for their own personal political advancement.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, evadgib said:

'They didn't know what they were voting for' hasn't worked from day one and is frankly patronising from the side that believe they did.

More or less patronising than having vital facts hidden or dismissed without any evidence and even being lied to in order to convince people to vote Leave?

20 minutes ago, tebee said:

Indeed, but  because it didn't specify how we should leave we have now ended up with the current impasse.

Roughly 33% want to leave with no deal, 10% with may's deal and 12% preferring a softer brexit  - whille 44% would prefer to remain anyway.

This gives politicians seeking to deliver brexit a dilemma - do the satisfy the 33% wanting no deal and upset 67% of the population or go for some compromise and hope both side accept it. The hard brexiters insistence that nothing short of nodeal is the true brexit makes the later seem unlikely.

So to politicians brexit has become a poisoned chalice - delivering any one version will upset more people than it pleases. They don't want to do this as they want those people to vote for them next time.

This in a nutshell is why we have the current impasse         

An impasse which can only be solved by giving the people the final choice as I outlined earlier.

Three options: accept the deal on offer, whatever it may be, or leave with no deal, or cancel the whole thing and remain.

Voters allowed to vote for their first and second preference. If no choice has 50% plus 1 of the votes then remove the option with the fewest votes and allocate the second choice on those papers accordingly.

10 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Remind me why I should have to vote again, for something I successfully voted for 3 years ago, when I was told by the most senior politician that the outcome would be final - a once in a generation decision.

Who promptly resigned as he knew that it was "mission impossible" to secure an exit deal from the EU which would be anywhere near of benefit to the UK.

Edited by petemoss
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

32 minutes ago, petemoss said:

Who promptly resigned as he knew that it was "mission impossible" to secure an exit deal from the EU which would be anywhere near of benefit to the UK.

Cameron lacked a plan b (unless it was to resign).

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, vogie said:

And the remain campaign spent over £9 million pounds of tax payers money to convince the country to remain and still lost.

Point missed completly!

If, as evadawotsit claims, the majority had already made up their minds to vote leave did the leave campaign need to spend any money at all?

1 hour ago, Jip99 said:

Remind me why I should have to vote again, for something I successfully voted for 3 years ago, when I was told by the most senior politician that the outcome would be final - a once in a generation decision.

To solve the impasse created by self serving Brexiteer and party politic playing MPs and to take the decison away from those MPs and put it in the hands of the people.

What are you scared of? With two Brexit options and only one remain, if Brexit regardless of circumstances is as wholeheartedly supported here in the UK as you think it is, then the remain option will surely be eliminbated in the first round!

• Haha 1