Johnson warns EU against any 'Napoleonic' tariffs in no-deal Brexit

snoop1130

6 minutes ago, vogie said:

Why would I ask Boris, if he gets us out of the EU, job done, Tories can have a little respite, if not we will have our modern day Oliver Cromwell in the guise of Nigel Farage to purge parliament of all the useless dross.

Cromwell fought 2 civil wars in England + 1 in Ireland and one in Scotland - are you suggesting this is a course to follow?

He is still reviled in Ireland for the atrocities he committed there ( personal disclosure - my family is descended from some of his troops who stayed there and got thrown out in 1922)  

His commonwealth parliament did not survive long and the monarchy was  restored -that may be very precedent for brexit !

49 minutes ago, vogie said:

Like Farage, Cromwell was a man of his time, that is exactly what I'm suggesting.

I find it ironic that you are championing Cromwell, as it is NI that is blocking brexit and the root cause of all the NI problems is Cromwell 400 years ago !

But i fail to see the parallels between Cromwell and Farage. Cromwell  was a man of deep religious conviction, admittedly the sort of conviction that made it OK to slaughter heathens of other faiths, but Farage does not exactly seem to be a man of faith, more grabbing whatever opportunities present themselves. 

Unless you are saying the way to get brexit is civil war and the killing of your political opponents ?   

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Loiner said:

So you think that Yorkshire men should not be allowed to post on a TVF Brexit topic? All and sundry from around the world is allowed to spout off their own opinions, even if it does not affect them at all.

Sounds good to me! 555

4 hours ago, bannork said:

Is there any international figure of repute who thinks the UK leaving the EU is a good idea?

Trump. part of his divide and conquer policy.

Edit: Oops sorry, missed the word "repute" in your post.

Edited by petemoss

22 minutes ago, vogie said:

It is not wise to suggest that our countrymen of 400 years ago thought the same as we do today tebee, to compare them to us would be total folly, do not judge what happened all those years ago by the standards that we live by today. Yes you are correct religion played a very big part of life in those days, the problem being, the King was only answerable to god, he could do whatever he liked, or thought he could, Cromwell proved he couldn't. I would like to think he changed democracy for the better, I sure Farage could do the same.

As for your last sentence, I will give it the comtempt it deserves.

My family lore is that he was a tyrant and treated the Irish very badly - as they were on his side I tend to respect this.

But he never really found a parliamentary system that worked - he ended up forcefully disbanding his rump parliament with the words "you are no Parliament, I say you are no Parliament; I will put an end to your sitting" He then appointed himself dictator as Lord Protector, but there was no stability and as soon as he died the new model army marched on London and the monarchy was restored.

Maybe a hard brexit would follow a similar course, with us rejoining after some years in the wilderness ?   

On 7/5/2019 at 1:11 PM, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

Wow! And you have the nerve to say I'm misiniformed about the Fishing industry in the UK! INCREDIBLE.

'One of the min charateisitics of Brexitism is conservatism' and I think we've all found that the main characteristic of Remainerism is gullibility and self loathing, you prove my point nicely.

QED

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, billd766 said:

You are cherry picking for arguments sake, not only that but you are twisting my comments.

If you accept that 52% would vote to leave that means that the leave numbers would have come to another 6,732,969 or a total of 24,143,711 which is still more than the remainers whichever way you cut it.

Why is it that the Remainers are always asking for a second referendum before the first one has been completed? Why can they not simply accept the fact that they lost?

In a general election only the votes cast are recorded and they are the ones that count and that is where the party with the most votes and elected MPs becomes the government.

Please look at the facts

12,948,018 couldn't be bothered to vote. That means they didn't vote to leave.

16,141,241 voted to remain

17,410,742 voted to leave.

So 17,410,742 people out of a total of 46,500,001 voted to leave.

Only 37.44% of the adult population voted to leave.

(Apologies for maths yesterday, a bit out).

But this is not a general election. It's much more serious than that. The impact of leaving the EU, especially a no deal Brexit will be much much more than if Labour, for instance, replaced the Tories for one possible 4 year term.

The referendum never said leave meant a no deal Brexit. If you want to leave democratically with a no deal Brexit then I suggest another referendum.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1