Johnson warns EU against any 'Napoleonic' tariffs in no-deal Brexit

snoop1130

7 hours ago, petemoss said:

Not been back to the UK for years. Lives a sheltered life in Nakon Nowhere. Knows nothing about how the NHS operates in the present day. How am I doing?

I’ve been back living in the U.K for 18mths,after living in Thailand for 20yrs. And I’ve always been, and still am a big supporter of the NHS. However since my return I now see and realise that the system is dysfunctional, this view was recently confirmed by a consultant in a local hospital, who told me,in his opinion that the NHS as very inefficient due to too much red tape. Is this due to the E.u. I very much doubt, probably more to do with the incompetence of our politicians and NHS managers.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, transam said:

Whilst you make a daft post with wild assumptions this below is more my view on things, plus the stopping of the EU criminal low life setting up shop in the UK, which they are at present..

Good old choo choo.

2 minutes ago, nontabury said:

I’ve been back living in the U.K for 18mths,after living in Thailand for 20yrs. And I’ve always been, and still am a big supporter of the NHS. However since my return I now see and realise that the system is dysfunctional, this view was recently confirmed by a consultant in a local hospital, who told me,in his opinion that the NHS as very inefficient due to too much red tape. Is this due to the E.u. I very much doubt, probably more to do with the incompetence of our politicians and NHS managers.

You are right on every point but the EU isn't responsible for the red tape. That has been generated by successive health ministers and their initiatives. Talk to anyone working at the coal face in the NHS and they will tell you that Hunt was the worst of all. He's despised by health workers. But the biggest issue, for which Hunt was primarily responsible, is the severe lack of funding.

14 hours ago, nontabury said:

On a personal level, brexit has proved beyond a shadow of doubt to be a major problem. The loss of income has got to the point where i am seriously considering returning to the UK, and as a UK national become a burden on the state. The discrepancy on my pension is now around £130/month and daily medication upwards of £50/month, plus any benefits and additional medical problems that come into play. Not a great deal on its own but if 25% of the global expats were to make the same move, the UK population would really see what an NHS in crisis looks like. 

21 hours ago, Loiner said:

No, it’s all about the extra numbers. From 59m in 2000 to 66m now is about 12% extra bodies. UK taxpayers should not have to bear the burden of this but that’s where the costs fall.
China can do what it wants.

I take it there were no births in that period, only immigrants, and FYI I am also a UK taxpayer'

Of course China can do what it wants, that is why it is 30/40 years ahead of the UK, only the naive think the UK is progressive. Brexit will only push the UK further behind the world leaders.

One of the reasons I was in favour of remain was based on business experience that came about through the introduction of the single market in 1993. Of those that voted to leave many would have been totally unaware, and others forgotten, how tariff fraud was perpetrated.

If you sell bicycles and you take the wheels off for packing, are you then shipping bicycles or bicycle components? If you package a piece of cheese with a couple of biscuits, is it a biscuit snack or a dairy product?

Make no mistake, with the introduction of tariffs the fraudsters will try and capitalise on the situation and customs inspections will have to become much more vigilant. This can only lead to increased  processing times at the borders and will in due course have a significant impact on the NI border. Quite often it is necessary for customs officers to make a judgement.

In 1990 customs seized what was said to be parts for a petrochemical plant on the the suspicion it was part of the "Sheffield Supergun".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/april/11/newsid_2477000/2477023.stm

22 hours ago, petemoss said:

Peter Hitchens? Extreme right wing bigot, and renowned idiot. Not worth listening to by someone with more than a scrap of intelligence. Now his late brother, completely different kettle of fish. Post something by him and I will definately watch it.

????????

I'm sure you're more of an Owen Jones fan, right!?

15 hours ago, sandyf said:

On a personal level, brexit has proved beyond a shadow of doubt to be a major problem. The loss of income has got to the point where i am seriously considering returning to the UK, and as a UK national become a burden on the state. The discrepancy on my pension is now around £130/month and daily medication upwards of £50/month, plus any benefits and additional medical problems that come into play. Not a great deal on its own but if 25% of the global expats were to make the same move, the UK population would really see what an NHS in crisis looks like. 

I understand your predictment,and i’m sure the same for many others. I estimate that my returning to live in the U.K is costing the Government anywhere between 13- 17,OOO per year, this is mostly made up of the education of my two children. And as I’ve mentioned on these threads before, one of the many pluses for our leaving this so called union, will be the knowledge that E.u. Citizens will no longer be able to obtain discounted British University education, while the children of our own citizens, if they are living outside the E.u. are required to pay the full cost + another 50%.

In addition I do not think that the weakness of sterling against the Baht can solely be placed at the door of Brexit, as many other currencies are also suffering due to the strength of Baht.

On 7/10/2019 at 5:58 AM, Loiner said:

No, it’s all about the extra numbers. From 59m in 2000 to 66m now is about 12% extra bodies. UK taxpayers should not have to bear the burden of this but that’s where the costs fall.
China can do what it wants.

I take it there were no births in that period, only immigrants, and FYI I am also a UK taxpayer'

Of course China can do what it wants, that is why it is 30/40 years ahead of the UK, only the naive think the UK is progressive. Brexit will only push the UK further behind the world leaders.

The white British population fell for 10 years according to the BBC:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21511904

China 30/40 years ahead, what a joke, ask the Uighurs if they think that China is a progressive country ............................

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

5 hours ago, nontabury said:

In addition I do not think that the weakness of sterling against the Baht can solely be placed at the door of Brexit, as many other currencies are also suffering due to the strength of Baht.

Very true. The £ dropped by 10% within days of the result being announced. It continued to fall, more or less in line with other currencies and continues to do so. This is because of the artificially strong baht.

However, there's no doubt that the £ has suffered a much more dramatic fall than other currencies. As a wild, and conservative, guess I would estimate that at least 50% of the £'s devaluation is due to Brexit.

3 minutes ago, petemoss said:

However, there's no doubt that the £ has suffered a much more dramatic fall than other currencies. As a wild, and conservative, guess I would estimate that at least 50% of the £'s devaluation is due to Brexit.

So you're ignoring the falls of the AUS$, NZ$, CAN$ and Krone, that all fell by more than the UKP for what reason?

14 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

So you're ignoring the falls of the AUS$, NZ$, CAN$ and Krone, that all fell by more than the UKP for what reason?

CAD/GBP 0.53 at Brexit now 0.59.

NZD/GBP 0.46 at Brexit, now 0.53.

AUD/GBP  0.54 at Brexit now 0.56.

Most currencies have fallen against the Baht. GBP the most.

Check the figures for 6months- 1 year after Brexit, before the THB started to strengthen, much worse.

4 minutes ago, petemoss said:

CAD/GBP 0.53 at Brexit now 0.59.

NZD/GBP 0.46 at Brexit, now 0.53.

AUD/GBP  0.54 at Brexit now 0.56.

Most currencies have fallen against the Baht. GBP the most.

Check the figures for 6months- 1 year after Brexit, before the THB started to strengthen, much worse.

Sorry, I have no interest in your remainer propaganda and cherry picking of currency falls.

My Oz pals have lost 33% in the past 3-4 years, I've lost 27% in the past 10 years.

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Sorry, I have no interest in your remainer propaganda and cherry picking of currency falls.

My Oz pals have lost 33% in the past 3-4 years, I've lost 27% in the past 10 years.

I think that it's you that is cherry picking. Compare your currency since Brexit to the GBP since Brexit.

3 hours ago, petemoss said:

I think that it's you that is cherry picking. Compare your currency since Brexit to the GBP since Brexit.

Only a bit. Since Brexit both AUD and GBP are down against THB by roughly the same percentage. The reasons are different but it does demonstrate the recent relative strength of the Baht. 

4 hours ago, petemoss said:

His currency clearly is the GBP as his name would suggest.

Brexit is blamed for nearly everything these days, economic, social and political - apparently since Brexit the British population have been exposed as being (half) a country of rabid fascist xenophobes, committing hate crimes with impunity and the UK economy has become a basket case overnight / the GBP is set to plummet to all time lows - all because of something that has yet to actually happen. Come on! The truth is a lot more complex than that as any thinking person will understand, but this idea of scapegoating Brexit certainly speaks to the minds of those who detest the idea of UK independence/self determination so it's both appealing and a hell of a lot easier just to blame most issues on this single event - one which has yet to come to fruition. The truth is the GBP has steadily lost much of its (artificially inflated value) over the last 10 years, the initial credit crisis and our commercial banks'/governments' inability to deal with the many fundamental issues that arose at that time, coupled with foolish fiscal and economic policies employed by successive governments are a massive factor in the fall of sterling and many other western currencies. As others have pointed out the THB is kept artificially strong against foreign currencies and this will not last forever, obviously. 

GBP lost a fair amount of value on forex markets right after the vote in 2016, it then recovered the majority of that value and kept reasonably stable for months after. I wouldn't argue for one minute that the absolute bungling of the situation by successive politicians (Remainers and Brexiteers) since 2016 hasn't adversely affected the UK markets or confidence in the GBP / British political & economic infrastructure, because it certainly has, but this is a multi-faceted situation with many contribuing factors, so to blithely say 50% of the value lost (since when exactly?) is solely due to Brexit is as breezy and unfounded a statement as I have heard on this forum - and that's saying something.

The AUD/USD/CAD/SWK/DNK/NZD and others have all lost much of their value against the THB. The NZD lost nearly 30% of its value against the THB since 2014, the AUD has experienced similar, both have lost very comparable amount of value to the THB as the GBP has, but in a shorter time-frame. The Euro has had a tumultuous recent history against many major currencies too don't forget, the THB included - dropping from 1-42 in 2014 to 1-34.5 today. Moreover, the loss of value of the pound does indeed damage many areas of commerce and will have dire ramifications for anyone collecting pensions/making money in sterling and living in LoS, but for many areas of industry and business, a weak GBP is a godsend and has worked wonders. One man's crap is another man's caviar.

13 hours ago, HansumFarang said:

China 30/40 years ahead, what a joke,

image.gif

You appear to be confused between achievement and politics. Unlike the UK the China has not allowed politics to stand in the way of achievement.

The Chinese operate the largest high speed rail network in the world, how long did that take, the UK has just started building one.

I took a train journey from Guangzhou to Yangshuo, about 250 miles in just over 2 hours. The latter half of the journey was in mountainous terrain and just a series of tunnels and viaducts, tremendous feat of engineering. How many lengthy train tunnels and viaducts are there in the UK.

Cash and cards are virtually redundant in China, nearly everyone, including old ladies in the market, pay by QR code and smartphone, how many people in the UK have heard of a QR code, far less used one for payment.

The UK has dragged it's feet on infrastructure progress and now brexit has turned the UK into a joke.

15 hours ago, nontabury said:

I understand your predictment,and i’m sure the same for many others. I estimate that my returning to live in the U.K is costing the Government anywhere between 13- 17,OOO per year, this is mostly made up of the education of my two children. And as I’ve mentioned on these threads before, one of the many pluses for our leaving this so called union, will be the knowledge that E.u. Citizens will no longer be able to obtain discounted British University education, while the children of our own citizens, if they are living outside the E.u. are required to pay the full cost + another 50%.

Notice you didn't mention that overseas students pay 3 times as much as UK students.

Any single situation and the exchange rate are what they are and cannot be viewed in isolation. There are pluses and minuses in regard to leaving the EU and the minuses will be heavily dependent on how the separation is implemented. Spending £92 million to determine the cost of a galileo replacement doesn't seem much of a plus.

The cause behind the reduction in sterling is a bit academic in respect of the point I made. If large numbers of expats decide to return to the UK it is only going to make the existing crisis in the NHS a great deal worse.

There appears to be a problem getting consultants to do routine operations, why wasn't there enough doctors to do these operations in the first place rather than relying on consultants doing overtime. They had no problem finding 16000 civil servants to work on brexit, money going in the wrong direction.

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Notice you didn't mention that overseas students pay 3 times as much as UK students.

Any single situation and the exchange rate are what they are and cannot be viewed in isolation. There are pluses and minuses in regard to leaving the EU and the minuses will be heavily dependent on how the separation is implemented. Spending £92 million to determine the cost of a galileo replacement doesn't seem much of a plus.

The cause behind the reduction in sterling is a bit academic in respect of the point I made. If large numbers of expats decide to return to the UK it is only going to make the existing crisis in the NHS a great deal worse.

There appears to be a problem getting consultants to do routine operations, why wasn't there enough doctors to do these operations in the first place rather than relying on consultants doing overtime. They had no problem finding 16000 civil servants to work on brexit, money going in the wrong direction.

I don’t believe overseas students do pay 3 times as much as U.K students. 

They pay the full rate plus 50%, exactly the same as children of U.K. tax paying citizens who happen to live outside the E.u.

The two exceptions are Overseas students, who are citizens of a E.U. country and whose parents may never have even previously, visited the U.K. let alone having made monetary contributions to our system.

The other example, which I’m sure you’re aware of, is that those citizens of E.u countries, can obtain free University education in Scotland, while your fellow British citizens living in England, Nth Ireland and Wales Must pay.

12 hours ago, nontabury said:

They pay the full rate plus 50%, exactly the same as children of U.K. tax paying citizens who happen to live outside the E.u.

The two exceptions are Overseas students, who are citizens of a E.U. country and whose parents may never have even previously, visited the U.K. let alone having made monetary contributions to our system.

The other example, which I’m sure you’re aware of, is that those citizens of E.u countries, can obtain free University education in Scotland, while your fellow British citizens living in England, Nth Ireland and Wales Must pay.

Manchester charge 2 x Domestic rates for oversees students

14 hours ago, nontabury said:

Yes they do. In 2013 my niece came out of school here in Thailand and although she was offered various university places none were what she wanted, clinical medicine. We looked at the UK and Leeds,Sheffield and Nottingham were all in the order of £30 - 35K a year which was just out of the question. She looked to China and applied to 2 universities. She was offered a place at Sun Yat Sen university in Guangzhou and after 6 years graduated 2 weeks ago. Fees in China were in the order of £12k a year and in 4 of the 5 years we know about she was awarded a scholarship that covered about 10% of that years fee.

Unfortunately in holding a foreign degree she must repeat the final internship year here in Thailand to qualify for a Thai licence to practice. Following that year she is looking to do a 1 year masters in the UK but at around £40K unless she can qualify for a scholarship it is likely to be a non starter. 

The UK is desperate for medical professionals but they do little to resolve the problem. Universities have openly admitted they need overseas students to subsidise the domestic students and of those that can afford it is unlikely that many will be very productive.

The Thai student on a medical scholarship at Cambridge went on Masterchef and will probably end up in a restaurant.

On 7/12/2019 at 7:00 AM, BritManToo said:

I appreciate the thread is titled Thai baht but any reference to brexit should be in context of the USD and not THB, the USD effectively being the global standard. The post you referred to was aimed at brexit.

In June 2016 the GBP was around 1.44 USD and is currently around 1.25, a drop of about 13%

In June 2016 the AUD was around 0.74 USD and is currently around 0.7, a drop of around 0.5%

I just looked at the AUD, if any of the others have in fact fallen by more than 13% against the dollar then you should have just referred to them.

16 hours ago, nontabury said:

the times from 2 years ago....

Fees were about 10000 per annum in most of the UK

Scotland does not charge home or EU students fees at undergraduate level, however, any student from England, Wales or Northern Ireland is expected to pay up to £9,250 per year. Non-EU international students will pay significantly more to study in Scotland. For example, in 2017, the University of Edinburgh charged undergraduate international students between £16,650 and £23,200 per annum.

In 2017, international students paid between £10,000 and £35,000 annually for lecture-based undergraduate degrees. An undergraduate medical degree can cost overseas students up to £38,000 per year.

There is no upper limit on postgraduate degree charges for international students, but they tend to be more expensive than most undergraduate courses and the fee varies depending on the university.

1 minute ago, wilcopops said:

the times from 2 years ago....

Fees were about 10000 per annum in most of the UK

Scotland does not charge home or EU students fees at undergraduate level, however, any student from England, Wales or Northern Ireland is expected to pay up to £9,250 per year. Non-EU international students will pay significantly more to study in Scotland. For example, in 2017, the University of Edinburgh charged undergraduate international students between £16,650 and £23,200 per annum.

In 2017, international students paid between £10,000 and £35,000 annually for lecture-based undergraduate degrees. An undergraduate medical degree can cost overseas students up to £38,000 per year.

There is no upper limit on postgraduate degree charges for international students, but they tend to be more expensive than most undergraduate courses and the fee varies depending on the university.

They can afford it. It's where the Thai Elite send their children to, and a prime reason that the same people like to keep the Thai Baht artificially high. It's also the case that foreign students are given preference over British students, despite being less qualified, when places on a degree course are limited. Nowadays, universities are businesses, they follow the money.

Archived