small electrical shock in the shower

davidst01

27 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Isn't that the very definition of "a fault"?

Exactly, of course it is.  I am simply pointing out that the fault is not caused by a faulty or non-existent earth as some have suggested.

3 hours ago, emptypockets said:

Do you know his licence number? 

He should have his licence revoked for a statement like that. Very bad, dangerous advice. 

Agreed! No electrical equipment requires an earth to work - the earth is there for safety.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StevieAus said:

Excuse my ignorance but what is galvanic current ?

It can happen when you have dissimilar metals, an electrolyte, and a semi-conductive path.  I only mentioned it because I was somewhere recently that it happened to me— very low potential but noticeable. The owner of the place mentioned that it happens sometimes when they are getting water from a different well. 

More likely it is poor wiring, but if it only happens with water running, even when all electric is off it could be the issue. 

Don't joke about this! Many people are electrocuted by their showers around the world.

Make sure the water heater is grounded.

Make that there is a Ground Fault Interrupter circuit breaker between the heater and the AC line. The electrician who wired my house didn't know the difference between an ordinary breaker and one that would trip if any of the current strayed from the water heater (like through somebody's body). You can tell that it is a Ground Fault breaker because it will have a small test button on or near the toggle bat.

If you are getting shocked, switch to showering with a bucket until the problem is solved. Don't trust your life to plastic sandals.

If you have any questions, please post them here.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, The Theory said:

Water pump or water heater poor/no ground. 

Be alert, if it has happened recently it could be just a beginning. 

Please do not post such statements if you do not know what you are talking about - this is a potentially fatal fault. The fault has nothing to do with the grounding of any equipment! An earth or ground is there to protect in the event of a short. If there is current in the water or metal parts carrying water there is leakage - most likely from the live but it could also be from the negative if there is a live leak to negative. I repeat, this problem is not occuring because of a lack of/poor earth/ground.

Granted, to work correctly and earth/ground should short the current to earth but it will not prevent someone getting a shock or worse due to this fault - it is not the cause.  Current will always take the easiest route and a wet body, standing on a concrete floor is likley to be an easier route than the house's earth (if it has one).

The fact that the shower is not blowing a fuse or tripping the RCD (on the assumtion that the circuit is protected) is probably because the leak does not carry sufficient current at the moment but that could easily change. Even if an earth/ground/RCD is fitted, it may not be wired correctly.  The shower should have internal protection - something is wrong somewhere and it needs professional attention.

• Haha 1

OK, I think we have enough mud slung for now.

Since our OP hasn't returned to this thread with the further information requested I'm going to lock it for now.

@davidst01 Please come back with some further information;-

• Is the shower earthed?
  • Do you have an RCD (look for a breaker with a Test button)?
  • Does the water heater itself have an RCD (look for a Test button)?

As noted there is a potentially lethal situation here so you need to get all your electrical safety ducks in a row.

PM Me when you have some info and I'll re-open the thread for posting.

• Like 1