The long, arduous journey towards democracy

webfact

7 hours ago, Lungstib said:

You cant have democracy until people are equal. When all men (and women) are equal and are allowed to have a say on their constitution, sit in parliament without some bogus university diploma and are allowed free speech on whatever subject they desire, then you can proceed with democracy.

To read you, France is still very far from being a democracy;
the only true democracy I know is Switzerland.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chazar said:

Yeah out of 60  million whats that? 100k? 

Maybe more, maybe less; 

But it is not the most important;
millions of others have remained in their northern and northeastern provinces for a lot of reasons, most of them financial;
work , because losing a few days of not working is unthinkable when you are a farmer or a worker or even a small industrialist

• Thanks 1

I can't wait for the return to the days of armed insurrection............

(That was said tongue firmly in cheek) But unfortunately it may have to come to this, again. Before the people get the democracy they desperately want, with the advent of smart phones, internet and for some, international television news highlighting the goings on in Hong Kong etc around the world it won't be long before they realise the only way to get what they want is via action on the streets. 

15 hours ago, webfact said:

People like to say “we’re not ready or it’s too early” for democracy, or that democracy “doesn’t fit in Thai society”, Titipol said.

There is probably more truth to this than is outwardly apparent.

Most Thais I know would give their weight in gold to lord over other Thais, where status is supreme.  It is cultural.  It's ingrained in the culture, inculcated via their movies and symbology, Art and Theater, and explicitly portrayed in their common Lakhon.  
"High" is Good.
Having command over those "lower than you" is better.  
A prostrated body at your feet is Nirvana...  

...although it is not.

That's the illusion.  That is Mara.

BuddhaPreaching!.jpg.e8d0b2fe27e5d6cfd39156c6b30effb8.jpg

Edited by connda
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

To read you, France is still very far from being a democracy;
the only true democracy I know is Switzerland.

hang on a minute  !   The UK has democracy ......  Australia has democracy .....

lol   !!.....  one's in a recession and the other is so messed up no one knows <deleted> is happening  !!  

Good on Khun Prayut Chan O Cha for moving Thailand forward. Exports are up and infrastructure continue's to be developed throughout Thailand. 

File photo : Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha

44 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Good on Khun Prayut Chan O Cha for moving Thailand forward. Exports are up and infrastructure continue's to be developed throughout Thailand.

So you believe the Thai economy is doing well?  Rather than rely on the government's blurb, go talk to some business owners - and I don't just mean tourist related. You'll soon find out the truth.

By the way, most of the infrastructure improvements are being paid for by loans and private finance.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1