Immigration Holidays

I'm due at immigration on Tuesday 16th July. That date, along with Wednesday 17th, happen to be public holidays.

I am preparing to go on the Monday 15th but fear that the powers that be may make this day into a holiday to create a long weekend. 

Has anyone heard anything?

Thanks

37 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Immigration will be open on the 15th. They cannot decide to be closed to get more days off.

Only the 16th is a official holiday. They will be open on the 17th.

The government often grant extra holidays to make long weekends. Wouldn't surprise me if they did it on this occasion too.

35 minutes ago, BritTim said:

What is the reason you want to visit immigration as close as possible to July 16th? Wouldn't it be more sensible to go the previous week when it will probably be less crowded?

Permission to stay ends on 16th. Need another 60 days. If Monday is open then I will wait until then. I am not in Bangkok or a place where immigration gets particularly busy, especially in the afternoons, so not a problem.

3 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Permission to stay ends on 16th. Need another 60 days.

You can do it early and not lose any days. The extension starts from the end of your permit to stay.

What kind of extension are your applying for that allows 60 days? Married to or the parent of a Thai perhaps.

29 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You can do it early and not lose any days. The extension starts from the end of your permit to stay.

What kind of extension are your applying for that allows 60 days? Married to or the parent of a Thai perhaps.

Married to a Thai lady.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Immigration will be open on the 15th. They cannot decide to be closed to get more days off.

Only the 16th is a official holiday. They will be open on the 17th.

16th and 17th are both national public holidays.

Just now, Tanoshi said:

16th and 17th are both national public holidays.

The 17th is not a government holiday. I did a lot of research to confirm that when I did the list of holidays that are pinned on the general forum.

It is also not a bank holiday on the 17th.

47 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The 17th is not a government holiday. I did a lot of research to confirm that when I did the list of holidays that are pinned on the general forum.

It is also not a bank holiday on the 17th.

17th is Khao Phansa Day, a National holiday.

Schools, Banks, Government offices, Immigration and businesses all closed.

5 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

It appears on calendars in red but it is not a government holiday.

I just checked the list of holidays for the past 2 years and it is not shown as a holiday.

14 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I just checked the list of holidays for the past 2 years and it is not shown as a holiday.

Government holidays only apply to Government offices, workers.

National Holidays include Government, banks, schools, businesses. (All Thais).

My Immigration office have already told me 'we are closed, 16th, 17th July'.

52 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Banks are open on 17th. Schools are too. I guess immigration will be too. 

My mistake. Maybe I could go a day late, on 17th.

10 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Why don't you go the week before to save any doubts.

20 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

The SIL works for a bank, she thought they were closed, but she just checked with her boss and they're open. She's not happy.

The school told my wife they are closed 17th, maybe that will change on 15th.

My IO stated they are closed 17th, maybe that will change on 15th.

As usual confirmation is given just the day before they think it's a holiday.

I am praying to all the Gods that whoever is in charge of holidays makes the 15th a holiday.  Great 13, 14, 15, 16, and yes 17 off.  The 17th is a holiday I work for the government and it is a holiday.  Thank you

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

I'm working things around a trip away. Just eyeing up the options. Plan to go away and return on 14th. Hence my question regarding 15th.

You can go up to 15 days before, meaning you can go as early as today if you wish. 

Regarding the holidays, remember that for the last Songkran, the government made a last minute surprise by making the previous Friday an extra holiday, thus extending the closing of public services for 5 days! 

Considering this, it wouldn't be surprising if they decided to make July 15th a holiday, at the last minute. 

Khao Pansa (17th), on the other hand, has never been a public holiday. 

1 hour ago, Brunolem said:

You can go up to 15 days before, meaning you can go as early as today if you wish. 

I think you're thinking of 90 day reports.

Annual extensions you can apply up to 30 or 45 days early depending on the office.

30 day, and maybe 60 day, extensions it depends on the office, but generally  a week to 10 days early . I don't think there's any rule or policy stating up to 15 days must be allowed.

46 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

I think you're thinking of 90 day reports.

Annual extensions you can apply up to 30 or 45 days early depending on the office.

30 day, and maybe 60 day, extensions it depends on the office, but generally  a week to 10 days early . I don't think there's any rule or policy stating up to 15 days must be allowed.

You are right... the OP mentions a 60 days extension... so he has even more reasons to do it right now and not wait until the 15th... 

10 hours ago, stephehr said:

I am praying to all the Gods that whoever is in charge of holidays makes the 15th a holiday.  Great 13, 14, 15, 16, and yes 17 off.  The 17th is a holiday I work for the government and it is a holiday.  Thank you

Congratulations on your extra holiday on 17th.

Since my original post I have check quite broadly and find that it is neither a National nor Government holiday.

Edited by youreavinalaff

6 hours ago, Brunolem said:

You are right... the OP mentions a 60 days extension... so he has even more reasons to do it right now and not wait until the 15th...

60 day is a simple process. No real need to go 2 weeks early. I would doubt a 60 day extension could be done that early anyway.I know a 1 year extention can but I would have my doubts about a 60 day.

10 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

No real need to go 2 weeks early. I would doubt a 60 day extension could be done that early anyway.I know a 1 year extention can but I would have my doubts about a 60 day.

Two weeks early on a tourist visa is accepted in Bangkok, but this might differ in some provincial offices. 

On 7/1/2019 at 11:35 AM, puchooay said:

The government often grant extra holidays to make long weekends. Wouldn't surprise me if they did it on this occasion too.

There was an announcement at my daughter's school yesterday.

Schools to be closed 15th, 16th and 17th.

I don't think that the Immigration is open on such a high Buddhist holiday.

Monday is not a holiday, but some schools, perhaps also institutions just made it to one that the employees can have a longer holiday.

The 16th  is Asahna Bucha Day which is a National holiday. The 17th is Buddhist Lent, also a government holiday in Thailand. I'd guess also banks are closed on that day?

37 minutes ago, puchooay said:

There was an announcement at my daughter's school yesterday.

Schools to be closed 15th, 16th and 17th.

It's actually up to the director if the school is open. Unfortunately, our school's open. 

1 hour ago, Isaanbiker said:

I don't think that the Immigration is open on such a high Buddhist holiday.

Monday is not a holiday, but some schools, perhaps also institutions just made it to one that the employees can have a longer holiday.

The 16th  is Asahna Bucha Day which is a National holiday. The 17th is Buddhist Lent, also a government holiday in Thailand. I'd guess also banks are closed on that day?

The only official holiday is 16th. Check the bank websites. The 17th is not listed. Here is an example: https://kasikornbank.com/en/Holidays

1 hour ago, Isaanbiker said:

It's actually up to the director if the school is open. Unfortunately, our school's open. 

No it is not. The announcement came from the Education Department. It seems all the schools in their jurisdiction are closed. Expect an announcement soon that your school will be closed.

Edited by puchooay

21 minutes ago, puchooay said:

The only official holiday is 16th. Check the bank websites. The 17th is not listed. Here is an example: https://kasikornbank.com/en/Holidays

No it is not. The announcement came from the Education Department. It seems all the schools in their jurisdiction are closed. Expect an announcement soon that your school will be closed.

I meant the 15th only which isn't a government holiday and I wish you're right.

The beer is on me should Buddha decide not to open the gates on the 15th of July.

Some websites do show the 17th as a government holiday.

https://www.officeholidays.com/countries/thailand/2019

So does the Thai consulate in Sawannakhet/Laos:

http://www.thaisavannakhet.com/vientiane/en/embassy/embassy_time/?PAGEN_1=2

Edited by Isaanbiker

On 7/1/2019 at 1:38 PM, ubonjoe said:

So would you expect all Thai consulates in foreign countries to be open on the 17th? Thanks

Ignore... answered my own question. Cheers

Edited by RickG16