Amphur said I need my mother to be present for Thai ID card

I live in the UK and I tried to get my first ID card in my Aunties local village.  

They said I need my mother present to get my ID card.  She lives in New Zealand.  

Is there anything I can do? I have a Thai passport and birth certificate.  

I am 30 years old. 

If you already have a Thai passport and birth certificate, that should be sufficient. Other than that, try taking the village headman with you to vouch for you.

• Thanks 1

That is not correct. At your age there is no requirement for your mother to be present when you are registered in a house book.

You need to be registered in house book before you can apply for the ID card. To be registered your aunt will have to give you permission to be registered and they may also want witnesses to confirm your identity.

Do you have a Thai ID number? 

Thank you for your replies.

My Auntie was trying to register me into her house book.  

I don't have any Thai ID numbers other than my passport number.  

Ok we are just going to try again.  I am going to go with two aunties and my cousin next time.  Wish me luck.  

1 minute ago, halfthaiguy said:

My Auntie was trying to register me into her house book.  

Since you do not have a Thai ID number they will have to issue one before you are registered in the house book. 

54 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Since you do not have a Thai ID number they will have to issue one before you are registered in the house book. 

It's on his Thai birth certificate (top right), and he must have one cos he couldn't get a Thai passport without it.

Go along to the Amphur office again, and be prepared to make a complaint to the Amphur head or phone their regional HQ.

They're either incredibly stupid or racists or looking for a bribe.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

It's on his Thai birth certificate (top right), and he must have one cos he couldn't get a Thai passport without it.

It is only be on his birth certificate if he was born here. If registered at an embassy there is no ID number on it.

It is possible to get a Thai passport without a ID number when applying through a embassy or official consulate.

• Like 1

If denied ask them to put it in writing. If extra documents are required the same. They will have to put it in writing and the neigh amphur himself has to sign the letter. So they have to explain first to the neigh amphur and with the letter are liable under administrative law for any unreasonable request.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I'd like to see one, maybe the OP could post a scan or photo.

I can assure you there is not a Thai ID number on it. Embassies cannot issue a Thai iD number.

I have read many posts by people having to get one here for themselves or parents getting one for their children that were born outside the country. It can be a big headache to do it if the Amphoe is not familiar with doing it.

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I can assure you there is not a Thai ID number on it. Embassies cannot issue a Thai iD number.

I have read many posts by people having to get one here for themselves or parents getting one for their children that were born outside the country. It can be a big headache to do it if the Amphoe is not familiar with doing it.

I'd still like to see one, doesn't appear to be any examples I can find on the web.

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I'd still like to see one, doesn't appear to be any examples I can find on the web.

Can confirm there is no ID number on my birth certificate issued by Thai consulate in Frankfurt. The number on the top is a file reference and not my actual ID#.

Bildschirmfoto 2019-07-01 um 16.13.39.png

Edited by Dnyy
  • Like 2

I brought 2 aunties, one cousin and had the head of the police force in the Mae on district vouch for me. 

I also compete for Thailand internationally in sport and showed her pictures of me at the Asian games.    

She didn't relent and said my mother had to be there.  What if my mother was dead! Haha.  

I will try another amphur in Chiangmai 

Anytime a local person with a minor amount of authority throws out a ridiculous rule like this one, it helps to make alot of noise. Complain voraciously. Do not take them at their word. Call for their supervisor. I find once I get the supervisor or manager involved, it usually progresses to the next step. Some small people love to flex their muscles. It means nothing to me, and I have no issues about them losing "face". I am not a believer in the practice of face, have zero respect for the weakness, and just do not care.  

I have used this technique at government offices, at Home Pro, and many other places, and it works. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, halfthaiguy said:

I brought 2 aunties, one cousin and had the head of the police force in the Mae on district vouch for me. 

I also compete for Thailand internationally in sport and showed her pictures of me at the Asian games.    

She didn't relent and said my mother had to be there.  What if my mother was dead! Haha.  

I will try another amphur in Chiangmai 

Feel sorry for what you are going through. The officer either does not know what she is doing or is trying to protect herself from any potential future investigation, no matter how remote the chance. I would be sorely tempted to submit a complaint.       

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I would just like to provide an update on this.  After speaking to the manager at the Chiangmai head office and other managers in Bangkok - they are adamant that my mother needs to be there.

I did speak to one person that said my mother could sign a power of attorney.  But for a document to be recognised in Thailand it would need a special stamp from the New Zealand Thailand embassy - which is in another city in New Zealand that you must fly to.  So I am trying to avoid this issue. 

I am very confused as to why these requirements are being enforced but in this thread the opposite is believed to be true. 

46 minutes ago, halfthaiguy said:

I would just like to provide an update on this.  After speaking to the manager at the Chiangmai head office and other managers in Bangkok - they are adamant that my mother needs to be there.

I did speak to one person that said my mother could sign a power of attorney.  But for a document to be recognised in Thailand it would need a special stamp from the New Zealand Thailand embassy - which is in another city in New Zealand that you must fly to.  So I am trying to avoid this issue. 

I am very confused as to why these requirements are being enforced but in this thread the opposite is believed to be true. 

Feel sorry for you.  Do you really want the Thai ID that badly... are you going to stay here and work, etc?

Join the club of all of us that have to go through stupid stuff like this here all the time 55.

Good luck.

1 hour ago, halfthaiguy said:

Because others have reported they could do it without a parent being present.

Not sure why are having such a problem.

1 hour ago, halfthaiguy said:

That's really strange. I definitely did not need my mother with me (Phaya Thai district office), and two of her uncles were sufficient. I didn't even have any other document than my birth certificate with me. However, I paid 3,000 Baht "fee" for someone in the back of the office but that was almost at the end of the whole process.

And I feel sorry that you have to make this experience. Hope you can find a solution asap.

Edited by Dnyy

I have five children, two born in Thailand with Thai birth certificate and three born outside Thailand. The three obtained Thai id in their 30's without the presence of their mother, but did need two witnesses (family members) to accompany them and verify their identities. They were placed in their uncles Tabien Baan in Bangkok and then issued ID cards. There must be some underlying reason that you have not been told as to why your mother needs to be present.